Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 02:07 PM

17 posts, read 12,063 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Carrboro or Chapel Hill in late July, and we'd like the kids to go to a couple of weeks of camp in August to meet some kids before school. I know we are late for registering, but the YMCA still has availability. Would this be a good choice for camp? Are there others in August that anyone can recommend? Maybe something where they are more likely to meet kids from their school, rather than just the general area? I understand that's a tough question given we don't know which schools they will attend yet. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 03:43 PM

54 posts, read 50,189 times
Hi. If you are interested in some educational camps, IMACS.org has camps in Southern Village in August. Also, Youth Digital has good camps for Minecraft programming and such.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:10 PM

635 posts, read 1,612,248 times
What ages?

Old 05-10-2016, 04:51 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,416,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilengr View Post
We will be moving to Carrboro or Chapel Hill in late July, and we'd like the kids to go to a couple of weeks of camp in August to meet some kids before school. I know we are late for registering, but the YMCA still has availability. Would this be a good choice for camp? Are there others in August that anyone can recommend? Maybe something where they are more likely to meet kids from their school, rather than just the general area? I understand that's a tough question given we don't know which schools they will attend yet. Thanks!
I may be a little bias, as I oversee most of the camps at the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Y; but yes they are a great option! The only camp that is completely full is Meadowmont Day Camp at the Meadowmont Y Site. DM me if you have any questions! (or you can email me as my contact info is on the Y's website....or there's a decent chance you are one of the people who already has emailed me!)

Old 05-10-2016, 05:06 PM

9,764 posts, read 15,709,960 times
You can look at the Carrboro Parks and Rec. site as well as the Chapel Hill Parks and Rec. I don't know how likely they will be to meet someone as their school, though. My kids have done a bunch of these camps, and it's random if they know someone. Carrboro Arts Center also has camps; they fill up quickly, but they might have some openings.

The school district also offers some camps. I'm not sure if they're online (we got brochures in the kids' backpacks at school). If they're not online, you can probably call the district and see if they have openings. If there is one at your kids' future school, then the kids *might* meet some kids from their school.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,517,389 times
Day & Overnight Camps in Wake Forest, NC | Camp Kanata

My aunt's father built this camp in the 1950s.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:38 PM

635 posts, read 1,612,248 times
Carolina Friends Camps have some space still - they seem to have sessions the first two weeks in August. I'd imagine they draw a fair number of Chapel Hill kids as they're in Orange County - many of the kids who go to the camps (including mine) are not students at Carolina Friends.

If they are elementary aged, I can recommend the Bouncing Bulldogs camps - they're half day and draw a lot of kids from Chapel Hill/Carrboro. The Bulldogs are a World Champion Jump Rope team, and the camps and classes are a lot of fun -- kids can be total novices and find success. Here's an example of what the older jumpers can do. They are the teachers in the camps and classes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5jzfzrBT3A

Old 05-11-2016, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 12,063 times
Thanks all! Kids will be entering 6th and 4th grade in the fall.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:05 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,946,240 times
We've done camp clearwater at the chapel hill Y, which is a "classic" summer camp...swimming, canoeing, archery. We drop our kids off at the Y, they ride a bus to and from the camp and then we pick them up at the Y in the evening.

Carrboro Arts Center and Morehead Planetarium also run fun camps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary