Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you would really like Chapel Hill. Lots of Bernie supporters here and excellent schools. A lot of people live in Chapel Hill and commute to RTP. It's doable if you work at NC State — my husband used to work in downtown Raleigh — but it's not fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It sounds like you would really like Chapel Hill. Lots of Bernie supporters here and excellent schools.
I also thought that Chapel Hill would be the best location.

BTW, all schools are supposed to have an anti-bullying policy which means it is not acceptable to pick on other kids for any reason, such as "acting gay". I have sometimes heard that teachers will not stop bullying off the school grounds, but I suggest checking the Chapel Hill School systems policy. It also prohibits cyber bullying: http://chisddevils.com/cms/one.aspx?pageId=21517149

Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHoff View Post
I'm moving to the US from the UK later this year (I'm British and my husband is American) and we will be relocating the Raleigh area. We are fairly flexible initially in terms of where we set up house but in a year or two we plan to start a family. I'm not entirely sure how the system works in the US compared to here in the UK, but where you live ultimately dictates the schools your children can go to. I'm keen to ensure my kids have access to a good school locally, but equally importantly I'm keen that they be taught liberal and tolerant principals. (As an indicator of what I mean I would be thrilled to see Sanders elected, however unlikely that may be.) As a foreigner I'm not sure how difficult this is to find given state politics (or my perception of state politics - I'm willing to admit I could be off base on that). Basically are there specific schools or school districts we should be aiming to live near? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
So doing the math, you move in late 2016, start having children ~2018, they wont start attending public school until 2023-2024 (start kindergarten if over 5yrs old at start of school year). Depending where you move, that area could be radically different in 2024 than in 2016 due to rapid growth in certain parts of the area. Also, you may be blessed with twins or triplets and the house you originally purchase is not ideal with many children underfoot so you want to move before school begins anyway.

I would focus on finding a community in which you enjoy living first as opposed to trying to making schooling decisions for unborn children. If you are going to public school, the curriculum is largely the same, the main differences between schools being socio-economic makeup of students and quality of teachers. None of that can be predicted 8 years ahead of time. The elementary school from which my youngest is matriculating didnt exist 8 years ago and during that time there has been some turnover with teachers as well.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 AM

369 posts, read 460,125 times
I don't know your budget, but look in Raleigh at homes that are "inside the beltline". It's more liberal and near NCSU. It's not a bad drive to rtp either. I would also check out The Raleigh School. It's a private co-op school. The majority of parents are fairly liberal. It was started by a group of ncsu professors.

By the way, "inside the beltline" refers to the area of town inside the 440 loop. Tons of locally owned creative restaurants, bars, family friendly breweries, parks, etc. It is some of the priciest real estate in the triangle, though there are less expensive properties available if you are willing to live in a smaller, older home.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
I am from the UK and have several friends here who are from the UK who have had their children in UK primary schools and are now in Wake Co elementary schools. They said there's a lot more focus on "work time" here as in the UK their kids were used to more Playground time and that was a hard adjustment.
They mostly steer clear of anything relating to politics, or sex-ed here. In Sex-Ed in middle school, they are taught that abstinence is the only good way (which I think is a load of crap but whatever...)
But my kids have never been taught any "hatred" although they have had right leaning teachers that perhaps have spouted their views a bit more than I might have liked.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I meant to address the politics thing. Schools don't really teach politics. I mean, they can teach courses on civics and so forth, but they surely won't be teaching that to young children. Elections are barely mentioned in elementary schools other than a sort of an "overview" of the branches of government and so forth.

Not sure you're going to find a politics-based school system around here.
That isn't true, at least for us. During the last two elections, there was plenty of discussion and the kids did a mock vote (in elementary school.) So I would say they definitely learn the process, but specific leanings aren't discussed (although my kids, now in middle, know where some of the teachers stand). This was in two schools in Holly Springs. I think the amount of discussion is just right...I want my kids to have a full understanding and be prepared to vote in the next election cycle!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
That isn't true, at least for us. During the last two elections, there was plenty of discussion and the kids did a mock vote (in elementary school.) So I would say they definitely learn the process, but specific leanings aren't discussed (although my kids, now in middle, know where some of the teachers stand). This was in two schools in Holly Springs. I think the amount of discussion is just right...I want my kids to have a full understanding and be prepared to vote in the next election cycle!
I consider "mock" elections in elementary school as an "overview," just to clarify.

What I meant is that they're not digging deep into platforms, political party agendas, mudslinging, etc.

Which is fine and on grade level not to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary