Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:12 PM

183 posts, read 198,017 times

Advertisements

Really depends on your background. The tech companies are hardly all clustered around RTP. Plenty downtown Raleigh and Durham as well.

Seems like a lot of cash to spend on a house without an idea of where you will be working but that's just my opinion.

We lived in Cary (Preston) for 12 years and have since moved to N Raleigh (Leesville/Pinecrest area). We have some air traffic noise but not enough to bother us and the location is convenient to Raleigh and Durham (our jobs are in Raleigh and Durham so this was a consideration for us when looking)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 02:08 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoderJoe View Post
What is the best area in/near Raleigh, near tech companies?

I plan on relocating there this summer. I'm heading there without a job lined up, and wouldn't like to married to one particular company either, so a more central location is better than close to one company in particular.

I'd like to have a 30 min or less commute (driving time), preferably closer to 20, but a little over 30 for the right neighborhood/house would be fine as well.

I have 2 kids, so great schools are a must. I'm looking for newer construction (2000 or newer), and my budget is in the $500k-$700k range +/-.

Which areas would you recommend to look in?

Does Raleigh have much in the way of public transportation? Ex. a train (or other rail system) into downtown from the suburbs?

Thanks in advance!
Why don't you try to find a job first, then worry about permanent housing when you know where you will be working.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 PM

9 posts, read 9,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Why don't you try to find a job first, then worry about permanent housing when you know where you will be working.
4 reasons:
1. I'll probably be working 20-30% from home anyway, so that lowers the overall weekly commute time, which gives some more flexibility as far as location.

2. My preference would be to get a house I really like, in a really nice neighborhood, rather than getting job, getting an OK house, or even a good house, and not liking the job and having to sell the house and move anyway, then I'm back to square one again, where if I start with a more centrally located house I would just need to look for another job.

3. I have a lot of general IT related skills, so I'd be a good fit at a number of different companies. I'm OK with taking a little less pay to avoid an hour+ commute if that's what it comes down to, if say I had to pass up a great offer from a company on the clear otherside of town.

4. My wife is also in IT, but different areas so we may not necessarily be working at the same company anyway.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:25 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
4 reasons:
1. I'll probably be working 20-30% from home anyway, so that lowers the overall weekly commute time, which gives some more flexibility as far as location.

2. My preference would be to get a house I really like, in a really nice neighborhood, rather than getting job, getting an OK house, or even a good house, and not liking the job and having to sell the house and move anyway, then I'm back to square one again, where if I start with a more centrally located house I would just need to look for another job.

3. I have a lot of general IT related skills, so I'd be a good fit at a number of different companies. I'm OK with taking a little less pay to avoid an hour+ commute if that's what it comes down to, if say I had to pass up a great offer from a company on the clear otherside of town.

4. My wife is also in IT, but different areas so we may not necessarily be working at the same company anyway.
IT jobs are in downtown durham raleigh and RTP, which is between them.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 9,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
IT jobs are in downtown durham raleigh and RTP, which is between them.
Thx!

Does Durham or Raleigh tend to have more?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Thx!

Does Durham or Raleigh tend to have more?
Raleigh, after RTP.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Well, they're really all over. Chapel Hill has IT jobs, too. UNC has a lot of folks in IT and Google even has a small presence in Chapel Hill, plus lots of start-ups, etc.

Here's the current business directory for RTP: http://d3q408dg3zf3sg.cloudfront.net...tory_20161.pdf

Here's another listing of tech companies in the area: Raleigh's Flagship Tech Companies - O3

Here's another list of the largest tech companies in NC: http://www.businessnc.com/clientuplo...anies-2014.pdf

Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Do you think RTP will continue to be the main hub of all the tech jobs or will downtown Raleigh/Durham become increasingly attractive due to the popularity of the downtown areas?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 PM

812 posts, read 831,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
North Cary near Harrison @ I-40 would put you midway between RTP/Morrisville (IBM, Cisco, Lenovo, etc.) and DT Raleigh (RedHat & Citrix). It also puts you on the SAS doorstep. Cary has good schools within the Wake County system and that location should put you within 20 minutes of those larger employment options.
Agree, we live in that area. Though we both work in RTP, we have neighbors who just moved next to us as one spouse works in Raleigh and other in RTP. They did their research and like being midway so neither spouse has too bad a commute. Also in North Cary, of course SAS, but don't forget about Weston Parkway.... Met Life recently moved their IT dept there....two huge new buildings with over 1000 employees.

Last edited by ncrunner77; 05-13-2016 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary