Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:16 AM

811 posts, read 827,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Malls are struggling everywhere because the goods available at retail are often easily available online, and there is not much retail loyalty to bricks and mortar.
So, offer something that people need to leave the house for.
Gut the vacant anchors and build an entertainment complex, indoor auditorium(s), movies, and target affiliated businesses, restaurants, clubs, etc.
Big investment, but a solid opportunity in a great location.

Spot on Mike. Retailers like Sears and Macys, which are often large mall anchors, are closing up shop everywhere. Just bringing in different retailers, no matter how "recognizable" the name, ain't gonna cut it in this digital day of almost instant gratification/delivery. They really need to shake things up in order to Amazon proof it. Making it some sort of experience destination, as you mention, is a pretty good bet.

I mentioned Ikea earlier for 3 reasons:

1. Out of desperation...which I think many mall properties currently find themselves in. I really don't want, nor do I think the town would ever allow, a giant yellow and blue metal shed to sit on that site.

2. It is about the most Amazon proof retailer out there. The don't sell/deal through Amazon directly. You can get some of their stuff through 3rd party on Amazon but it is marked up more than the retail price offered through Ikea. Also, Ikea doesn't have free shipping and many of their items are large and very expensive to ship. Finally, it is fun and sometimes necessary to "play" with their stuff before buying. The end result, people travel hundreds of miles to an Ikea to spend the day and buy a boat load (literally boat trailers worth) of stuff. This approximates the destination experience tactic of thwarting the online onslaught....with a retail twist.

3. My wife told me someone on the Cary/Apex Moms facebook page posted putting an Ikea there (referencing the latest TBJ article about the CTC) and it just about broke the internet with the number of enthusiastic responses.

4. I really like their nova lox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,532,350 times
Ikea?

https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/com...oming_to_cary/

Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 PM

16,384 posts, read 12,379,284 times
Not sure the Town of Cary would ever approve a company with those bright colors and such large signage.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:11 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,594,892 times
“Very recognizable and in-demand retailer.”

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Old 11-04-2016, 05:31 PM

4,297 posts, read 5,959,860 times
They can fit two Walgreens, a Rite Aid, and a CVS there with plenty of room to spare.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:53 PM

9,134 posts, read 14,704,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not sure the Town of Cary would ever approve a company with those bright colors and such large signage.
Obvious joke is obvious.

Funny thing Durham's sign ordinance is worse than Cary's.

IKEA would be an excellent fit there IMO.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Obvious joke is obvious.

Funny thing Durham's sign ordinance is worse than Cary's.

IKEA would be an excellent fit there IMO.
I actually wasn't joking.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:16 AM

610 posts, read 743,956 times
I simply don't get the IKEA love. We had one a half hour from the house when I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area. We went to check it out. Overpriced, cheaply-made junky furniture. My husband's father was in furniture and so the husband knows furniture.

The Swedish meatballs were good though. In fact, they tasted the same as ones I tried in Malmo, Sweden once.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Overpriced is probably one of the last words I would choose to describe IKEA to be honest.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:33 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 16 days ago)

43,161 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Overpriced is probably one of the last words I would choose to describe IKEA to be honest.
But, by definition, "junk" is always "overpriced."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary