Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 08:42 AM

821 posts, read 1,456,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I think in 10-15 it will be completely different. I mean I give that mall 2 years before there's at least a publicly acknowledged plan of what's to come. I'd like to believe that CBL is intentionally letting the mall decline so that they can demolish the majority of it for redevelopment without having to worry about tenants.

It's in too prime of a location to not do something with.
This is also what I've heard - that new developers come in, create a 'prime' center and charge very high rents...then slowly rents drop, the location declines, and it's sold to a different management company....and the process continues until the property exists in the state of CTC. Then <hopefully> a new development plan revitalizes it, and the cycle starts over.
Certainly that isn't always the case, but after someone told me about that process, it does seem to follow what I've seen elsewhere..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 09:07 AM

9,130 posts, read 14,695,688 times
That does happen often, but it's not the only way. Look at Crabtree. They have shown over and over they will do what is needed to be a premier property. Honestly, I wouldn't be horribly shocked to see them announce something in the next few years regarding more expansion or renovations.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:17 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,699,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That does happen often, but it's not the only way. Look at Crabtree. They have shown over and over they will do what is needed to be a premier property. Honestly, I wouldn't be horribly shocked to see them announce something in the next few years regarding more expansion or renovations.
Me either. Crabtree have time and again shown that they are willing to keep innovating with keeping their mall modern in the face of changing shopping habits. Which is key for them. They can't afford to let things slide and get dated.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 AM

809 posts, read 825,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
I feel the place needs to be a place where an aging local population can easily park and walk-in for a blood lab, colonoscopy, a nice choice of meals and some housing, like the Lofts at Park West.

Also, include a fitness center that accepts seniors' SilverSneakers membership cards.

Maybe even bring in a Hobby Lobby! Or, a great Wolf Lodge indoor water park for their grand kids.

I am assuming you are being serious and I agree with the viability of turning the property into something that caters to an aging population. Not a retirement home (so yesterday), but a real dynamic self sustaining retirement community; a town within a town. I suggested this in writing to the Imagine Cary "Board" after I attended an information session in which they encouraged feed-back prior to the town's adoption of the Imagine Cary Plan. Specifically, I gave Southern Village in Chapel Hill as a "mixed use" example of residence mixed with shops, cafes, grocery store, pharmacies and medical clinics. It makes total sense given the issues identified by the town in the Imagine Cary Report:

1. Cary's population is aging.
2. What to do with struggling retail properties around town.

Southern Village in CH is awesome...it's like a little European town or Sesame Street. I am nowhere near retirement and my wife and I have discussed how nice it would be to live there....with our kids even. I think it is open to all ages but it is elder heavy (with all the health care clinics so convenient/walkable and the hospital up the road).

Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,860,013 times
Was there today, dreary, more shops closing, including that great pastry shop whose name I've forgotten since we were there last - does anyone know where they went?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Was there today, dreary, more shops closing, including that great pastry shop whose name I've forgotten since we were there last - does anyone know where they went?
You're thinking of Kader French Bakery. No idea if they're going to reopen elsewhere though.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:39 PM

4,297 posts, read 5,955,608 times
They're apparently reopening on Hillsborough near Ashe in a spot formerly occupied by Cricket Wireless.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/46757841-post65.html

Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
They're apparently reopening on Hillsborough near Ashe in a spot formerly occupied by Cricket Wireless.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/46757841-post65.html
Well that's awesome. They're going to get way more business than the mall location. So many apartments nearby, State down the road, right by downtown, and extremely visible to everyone coming/going on Hillsborough.

Bravo Kader.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:27 AM

809 posts, read 825,281 times
Good for Kader's, I think they have a good product and wish them the best. Dying malls are becoming a national phenomenon. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...s-you-are-rich. Cultural changes? Demographic shifts? Amazon (online retail)? Probably a combo.

This particular dying mall has been on TOC's radar for awhile and they seem motivated to do what they can about it. Recognizing the problem is the first step. According to the Mayor's recent blog, his meeting with the town manager included discussion about redeveloping the mall. Harold’s Blog: Local Lab, Dreamfest and More – CaryCitizen So, I think they acknowledge it is going to require more than a few minor tweaks. I hope the mall propery owners and managers realize this too.

Maybe they do; after all, we are all waiting for the mall executives to "show their hand" and announce that "very recognizable in-demand national retailer" they claim to have "waiting in the wings". http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...zable-and.html

IMHO, if it ain't IKEA then we're going to continue to hear a lot of crickets chirping.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 AM

678 posts, read 733,798 times
Is there anything new on Top Golf?? I really wanted them to come somewhere to the Triangle. I hope the Cary NIMBY's didn't scare them away from triangle as a whole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary