Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,321,285 times

Advertisements

This is a very serious matter! On the surface it sounds like a good idea to end the Wake County Public Schools reassignment Merry-Go-Round but has ramification that IMO neither side want. Cost being one of them. One only has to head to the Northeast and see how small school district operate. IMO very inefficiently based on the school tax we use to pay up north. Each town would have a Superintendent who made 6 fugues and a full board of education staff. In my former upstate NY town there was '1' High School, '1' Middle School and about '6' elementary schools. The town Right next store had the same and the same School board staff, That is how you maximize your tax dollar. In fact the communities couldn't share police/fire or local government agencies either, no wonder why everyone is leaving the northeast.

newsobserver.com | Cary talks of school secession (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/story/943799.html - broken link)

Hopefully this goes no farther than at the discussion level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,033,181 times
Sounds to me like this is more "wishful thinking" by angry parents than a viable alternative being considered by Cary officials. I highly doubt it will go anywhere and as a Cary resident, I don't support it either.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,668,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
This is a very serious matter! On the surface it sounds like a good idea to end the Wake County Public Schools reassignment Merry-Go-Round but has ramification that IMO neither side want. Cost being one of them. One only has to head to the Northeast and see how small school district operate. IMO very inefficiently based on the school tax we use to pay up north. Each town would have a Superintendent who made 6 fugues and a full board of education staff. In my former upstate NY town there was '1' High School, '1' Middle School and about '6' elementary schools. The town Right next store had the same and the same School board staff, That is how you maximize your tax dollar. In fact the communities couldn't share police/fire or local government agencies either, no wonder why everyone is leaving the northeast.

newsobserver.com | Cary talks of school secession (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/story/943799.html - broken link)

Hopefully this goes no farther than at the discussion level.
I grew up in a town of 17,000 where we had one of the lowest per pupil expenditures in CT (even with a superintendent paid 6 figures) with one high school, one junior high, one middle school and two elementary schools that was one of the best school systems in this country. The superintendent's pay is a drop in the bucket. Cary is a town of over 100,000 people, not a small town. I can easily see how Cary could run the schools more efficently than Wake. Anyway, I agree with lamishra that I think it has about a 1 percent chance of happening. I do think it would be extremely positive for the majority of Cary.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,197,550 times
Lightbulb Will never happen....

For Cary to do so would require action by the NC General Assembly. The chance of that happening is 0%. I'm sure talk of this will be all the rage for those unhappy with the current situation, but this is a highly unlikely scenario.

~ NRG

Old 02-15-2008, 06:37 AM

39 posts, read 127,942 times
I agree with Dansdrive. I came from CT and local taxes are driven up because (almost) every town manages its own schools. You end up with duplication of administration and an 'arms war', where each school board raises teacher salaries in order to attract the best teachers, or at least to be able to say that they care the most about their schools. And you still end up with endless battles (and lawsuits) about school integration.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 AM

3,286 posts, read 8,523,140 times
This is not going to happen! If nothing else, the shear economics of it all won't allow it. How is Cary going to afford buying all the schools back from WCPSS or build their own in a very short time period? There is so much staff and support personal involved too, that there is no way they could afford to just succeed and be up and running within a year or even many years for that matter.

Everyone keeps on saying the school system is too large, but there are many more larger schools systems than Wake that are pretty successful. My personal feeling is that they should lower the state income tax and then raise the local taxes so that the local jurisdictions can allocate the money better to it's schools. The state has way too much of a say in how school money will be used and most of the people making the descissions have no clue.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,668,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralct View Post
I agree with Dansdrive. I came from CT and local taxes are driven up because (almost) every town manages its own schools. You end up with duplication of administration and an 'arms war', where each school board raises teacher salaries in order to attract the best teachers, or at least to be able to say that they care the most about their schools. And you still end up with endless battles (and lawsuits) about school integration.
You get what you pay for. Taxes are high (mainly because teachers are very well paid), but quality of education (at least in Southern CT) is superior.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,031,863 times
Here's a story from the local ABC affilliate.

"Cary Leaders Back Down From Creating New District"
abc11.com: Cary leaders back down from creating new school district 2/14/08
Quote:
Some Cary Town Council members have now stepped back from talk of school secession. But now they want to get involved.
Supporters of the reassignment policy say that's fine.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,321,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Here's a story from the local ABC affilliate.

"Cary Leaders Back Down From Creating New District"
abc11.com: Cary leaders back down from creating new school district 2/14/08
Good news in deed, best to talk than to walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary