Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:56 AM

86 posts, read 79,303 times

Advertisements

Didn't know it was so humid inland. Thanks for the input, everyone. I've been thinking about leaving CT for years now for several reasons and NC near Raleigh seems nice. But, I mention about A/C because I'm looking for ways to save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Our rate per KwHr is ~ 10 to 11.5 cents. Electricity is relatively inexpensive.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:44 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Probably also worth noting that in addition to the low operating costs noted above many homes here use heat pumps. So the heating and cooling equipment is the same (no separate furnace). Therefore you can essentially control the incremental operating costs with the thermostat depending on your cooling needs.

Frank

Old 05-17-2016, 06:51 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
For what it's worth, my house is about 1000sf and my electricity bill averages $65 per month. My gas bill averages $40 a month.

Also, make sure you factor in what you are going to save in property tax. I'm fairly certain that the difference between NC and CT will be substantial.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Houses in the mtns don't have ac

Neither do houses in the PNW I'm told

I think the humidity stuff a bit overblown

Though I believe the comment about new houses not breathing and mold

But that's a function of air circulation not necessarily ac

Old 05-17-2016, 08:06 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
First off, for being in the south, NC is not humid. You want humid? Try New Orleans.

Second off, from 1994-2005 I lived in a small brick house (built 1960s) surrounded by several large oak trees. It did have a single window AC unit that ran once or twice a month when we had a party, other than that we used fans.

Third off, when I was a kid I spent my summers at a cabin in Denham Springs, LA on the Amite River. Again, lots of trees, no AC, lots of fans. Lots of humidity. We spent a lot of time in the river.

Common theme was single story house that was easy to get air moving through, with lots of shade. Most new houses are the opposite of this (multistory, few windows, no shade). My grandpa's house in New Orleans that was built in the early 1900's was two story, but it had very high ceilings (10-12 ft?) and ceiling fans in every room. And lots of trees.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
First off, for being in the south, NC is not humid. You want humid? Try New Orleans.

Second off, from 1994-2005 I lived in a small brick house (built 1960s) surrounded by several large oak trees. It did have a single window AC unit that ran once or twice a month when we had a party, other than that we used fans.

Third off, when I was a kid I spent my summers at a cabin in Denham Springs, LA on the Amite River. Again, lots of trees, no AC, lots of fans. Lots of humidity. We spent a lot of time in the river.

Common theme was single story house that was easy to get air moving through, with lots of shade. Most new houses are the opposite of this (multistory, few windows, no shade). My grandpa's house in New Orleans that was built in the early 1900's was two story, but it had very high ceilings (10-12 ft?) and ceiling fans in every room. And lots of trees.
High ceilings and shade are key. If most people are 6ft tall (at most) and you have 8ft ceilings, the hot air will rise toward the ceiling and then start pushing down several feet into the range of where people are moving. However if you have 11ft ceilings, the hottest air is well above head level, making the temp more bearable, not to mention the additional air circulation do to larger volume of air.

The downside to growing up without AC and needing to use fans all the time, is that I am incapable of sleeping without air blowing on my face. I get all stuffy and cant breathe (this is mitigated somewhat at lower temps, but I'm not a camper and dont think I can get the bedroom down into the 40s each night to sleep).

Old 05-17-2016, 10:51 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Can you live without A/C in NC?

Sure can. But it is 2016 and not 1916.

No, Paw don't turn the A/C on I had not quite sweated enough to fill the pool!

No A/C in NC to me is like living in Antarctica and someone asking, do you heat your building or do you let the sun do it?

A/C: Its sure is a cool thought for sure! Pun intended.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Probably also worth noting that in addition to the low operating costs noted above many homes here use heat pumps. So the heating and cooling equipment is the same (no separate furnace). Therefore you can essentially control the incremental operating costs with the thermostat depending on your cooling needs.

Frank
Same system? How so? I though forced air, using a furnace for heat and separate A/C unit just outside the house for cool air, would be common in NC. Older houses I figured were built to resist heat, brick, shade trees, light color roofing shingles, plenty of windows and I didn't even think about high ceilings or what you called 'sleeping porches' (didn't know such a thing existed for said reason).

Here in CT, according to my current findings, our temperatures are about 10 degrees cooler throughout the year, than the Raleigh area. BTW, how about snow fall? Do I need a snow blower or snow plow, do I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle? I currently have an 07 4x4 Ford Ranger with a plow. Great little truck! But only gets 12-16 mpg. If I go to NC, I'll be hoping to save some money with a 2wd vehicle and nothing to remove snow but maybe a shovel. It's not uncommon that we get 6 inches to 2 feet of snow at a time, sometimes 3 feet (rarely). And town just about shuts down for 1-3 days. I guess I'd miss that, it's relaxing. BUT I HATE CLEANING THE SNOW!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
For what it's worth, my house is about 1000sf and my electricity bill averages $65 per month. My gas bill averages $40 a month.

Also, make sure you factor in what you are going to save in property tax. I'm fairly certain that the difference between NC and CT will be substantial.
My current findings show that taxes are typically just over 10 times higher in CT than NC!!! If someone in CT is paying $4,000 in taxes on a house, they'd pay something like $380 in NC for something similar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary