Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:56 AM

56 posts, read 63,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's true. But I like the freebies, coupons, discounts, etc Why not save a little money where I can.
Because its all a scam. You aren't saving anything, in fact ultimately the cost of all these "clever" marketing plans is passed on to the consumer one way or another. You're just helping pay the salary of marketing people who sit around and think up ways to manipulate the consumer.

The only way to truly save money is to refuse to do business with these companies where possible, and vote with your wallet toward the companies that trim off all the fat and just offer the lowest possible price that doesn't insult you and the value of your time.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:57 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr66 View Post
Well part of the problem is if you give a phony email, you don't get e-copies of your receipts.
Luddites like me get paper copies of the receipts and use them to check the monthly statement. I also balance my checkbook and read a physical newspaper. Yes, I realize I am dying breed.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:04 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
I've never had an issue with a simple "no thank you." On occasion, I've had to say it a second time, but never more than that.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
I can see where this is going. Time for the tin foil.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:27 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,550,718 times
Back in the early 2000's I worked for Belk, and we did have a quota to meet for charge applications. Quite a few times people's jobs were on the line if they didn't hit their quota consistently. And this was 15 years ago. I can only imagine how you may receive more of an aggressive approach now when I'm sure charge cards are an even more integral part of Retail stores. These people aren't asking just because they know you hate it. It's a pretty important part of their job and they are basically forced to try to sell you something.

But I've never had your experience in any Kohls, and shop there all the time. Even before I had a Kohls card, I never received much pressure to join. Any survey that I've been asked to fill out at any store has always felt optional to me.

You should probably just tell those people that you already have have the service that they are trying to solicit. Let the people asking about a charge card that it's maxed out so you can't use it. This is kind of the same thing when people go in Best Buy and are approached by the Direct TV people. Just tell them you already have the service and they leave you alone.

This day in age, the "pressure" is part of doing business. Personally, I've created an email address (that I rarely check, took less than 5 minutes to create) solely to give for email solicitation purposes. The sales associate doesn't get yelled at for not asking or getting an email address, and I can continue to function in life without having to be bombarded every day with emails from Michael's or Jiffy Lube or BJ's or anywhere else.

I would also suggest to stop worrying about all the pressure and keep saying no thank you. You've already purchased from the company, you don't owe them anything else. If you don't feel like giving your email address, don't. If you don't feel like filling out a survey, don't. The choice is ultimately up to you. I don't believe they can make you give up any of that information if you don't want to.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
They can data mine me all they want as long as long as it's legal and they don't waste my time, spam me, hard sell me on every little thing, etc.
That and send me coupons that I can use - and DO - based on MY past purchases. Love that about Kroger. And the free movies we get from Regal, Carolina Theater Durham, etc.

Otherwise, a simple "no thank you" is sufficient.

Seriously, OP, if this is your biggest problem in the world. . .

Old 05-17-2016, 01:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Publix and Tractor Supply Company are two retailers that do not have card programs. The "no card, no form, no hassle" concept is refreshing.

It is sad customers expect all retailers to have either a card program or a discount program for specific groups (i.e. military, first responders, corporations, etc.). Business is not gained through gimmick programs like discounts and cards. There are retailers who do a good job keeping prices and expenses low by avoiding costly card and discount programs, and consistently make profit and stay in business.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've never had an issue with a simple "no thank you." On occasion, I've had to say it a second time, but never more than that.
In most stores that works fine, but to be clear I was talking not only about offers from retail clerks but reward points systems in general, constant e-mails about sales, the customer surveys, etc. And not from one or two or a handful of stores, I'm referring to how the sum of the activity from all of these companies adds up to significant time wasting activity in any given week.

It's not something anyone is going to jump off a cliff over, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask about local companies that don't waste marketing dollars on this sort of thing.

Per the original post, I'm not asking anyone to feel the same way I do about it, nor soliciting opinions on whether they do, I'm just asking for company recommendations.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix and Tractor Supply Company are two retailers that do not have card programs. The "no card, no form, no hassle" concept is refreshing.

It is sad customers expect all retailers to have either a card program or a discount program for specific groups (i.e. military, first responders, corporations, etc.). Business is not gained through gimmick programs like discounts and cards. There are retailers who do a good job keeping prices and expenses low by avoiding costly card and discount programs, and consistently make profit and stay in business.
Thanks, this is the kind of recommendation I was looking for. The concept is refreshing, as you said. Maybe more companies will follow suit.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:20 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
In most stores that works fine, but to be clear I was talking not only about offers from retail clerks but reward points systems in general, constant e-mails about sales, the customer surveys, etc. And not from one or two or a handful of stores, I'm referring to how the sum of the activity from all of these companies adds up to significant time wasting activity in any given week.
That's why I have an email address that's separate from my personal address. It's the one I use for any commercial purpose. The emails never bother me, unless I go to the effort to log into that account. So no time wasting at all, unless I choose to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: