Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:45 PM

56 posts, read 63,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I have had a salesguy get pushy about it at Kohls. Most of the time they don't bother me, but one guy in particular would not give it up. He must've needed another mark for his quota.
I don't remember about the HT email.

About Kohl's, I can't believe they put themselves through all that for a measly buck or two: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pitfal...200218595.html

But I should say I'm not just talking about that, or spam, or the direct impact of either. I simply want to try to minimize patronizing companies that spend a lot of money on gimmicks. I want to reward companies that follow a traditional, simplified business model. It's that simple -- if someone likes all these gimmicks and doesn't mind the tradeoffs then that's their choice, just as avoiding them is mine.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:26 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
If you think some chain stores don't use marketing schemes, well then you are wrong. I was at Trader Joe's earlier tonight......they were giving out free samples and immediately after tasting it, I wanted to make my own greek yogurt and granola mix at home. They load up on good stuff at the cash registers (dark chocolate mmmmmm) so that you'll be tempted while waiting in line etc...

Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM

56 posts, read 63,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If you think some chain stores don't use marketing schemes, well then you are wrong. I was at Trader Joe's earlier tonight......they were giving out free samples and immediately after tasting it, I wanted to make my own greek yogurt and granola mix at home. They load up on good stuff at the cash registers (dark chocolate mmmmmm) so that you'll be tempted while waiting in line etc...
Every company has some sort marketing effort, many of which could be considered a "scheme". Perhaps my original question would have made more sense if I had prefaced it with "identify the top offenders, then give an alternate option". I mentioned the arrangement of items in stores earlier (your chocolate example falls in that category), but to me there is a difference in "strategic presentation" and having a "rewards club" for every possible store out there. Back in the day, there was the old S&H greenstamps thing (showing my age here). But at least that was a somewhat universal system -- these days every company has their own "greenstamps" that are only good in their store, like they are trying to invent their own currency.

I don't blame a store for having a sale, just want to identify those with the less intrusive methods. An example I can live with are restaurants with "buy 10 dinners get 1 free" cards that the waitress stamps, assuming you remember you have it. To me that's a subtle and non-intrusive method of creating customer loyalty. But when the waitress comes over and interrupts my meal and conversation with company with a form for me to fill out describing my experience at the restaurant, and spends several sentences explaining why they want me to do so, and how the fruits of my labor will help put her through college etc, then I start to take offense (not to her but to what management has forced her to do). If there was a problem with service, I would let someone know. Otherwise it can be assumed that all is well. Don't ask me to fill out a form when I go out to eat.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I understand the issue...
I hate that only "preferred customers" get a better deal...
Shouldn't they prefer whoever is shopping there...

KMart is the worse...
They ask 5 or 6 questions .
"do you have a rewards card" "are you sure" "you could save" "what about this" uggghhh

I get annoyed and say
" I just want to buy this product with this money, that is all"

Publix when I was visiting in Ga was a nice relief from reward cards..

Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Here's another one for your list: Walmart. Heck, you can't even get their employees to even acknowledge your presence, never mind going out of their way to try and sell you something. LOL

I get what you're saying, because I hate all that stuff, too, but I politely decline and have never had anyone give me a problem, except Kohl's, and you just have to steel yourself for it or don't shop there. Heck, even Michael's is collecting email addresses these days, so I tell the clerk 'no thanks' and go along with my day.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:18 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
One would be hard pressed to find a chain store that doesn't employ the 'gimmicks' the OP wishes to avoid. However, by shopping smaller, more localized businesses, one generally -(not always, but generally) avoids the use of loyalty cards and /or the upsellin of store sponsored credit cards.

That being said, the use of loyalty cards are something that I am indifferent on. I'm not going to carry cards for every chain I peruse, but it's also not something that I'd dump a store over either.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 05-18-2016 at 04:43 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 05:01 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Aldi has quite a bit to offer if you take the time to look. I get my produce and spices from them and I pay next to nothing. Yesterday, I purchased 2 pineapples (99 cents each), 2 cartons of kiwis (1.99 dollar each), 2 bags of organic baby carrots (79 cents each) and some spices (99 cents). No gimmicks or rewards programs.

As for most places, I think you will find that rewards programs are a thing that will stay around. I don't sign up for anything. I say no and I don't feel hassled or forced to do anything I don't want to. It's all in how you handle it.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr66 View Post
The hard sell some of those Kohls clerks puts on you to sign up for all their gimmicks is amazing. And don't get me started on BestBuy, with their expiring rewards points and dudes that roam the store trying to sell DirectTV.

So, looking for recommendations, in any category (restaurants, retail stores, HVAC service, etc.) that will help avoid the marketing BS. Can be a local alternative to a national (i.e. local pharmacy instead of Walgreens) or can be a national alternative to local. Whatever, just no email, reward point crap, or incessant survey solicitations.
I can tell you from personal experience, it is not the sales clerks in the stores you need to be addressing. It is the top management of the companies that force the workers at the store level to push this stuff on the customers; their very jobs are threatened if they don't. Believe me, most of the sales associates and customer service representative wish they could just focus on providing basic, quality customer service and solutions, instead of being hammered over the head constantly about their "survey scores" and to meet quotas on signing you up for those reward cards, credit cards, etc.

I have often thought this nonsense would cease if the upper management were the ones that had to push it themselves daily. Instead of venting on here, write the companies and let them know how you feel about this. If more aggravated customers would do this, maybe the upper echelon would the message.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:51 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I've never gotten email from Harris Teeter. I didn't even know they did that. I do have a VIC card, too, and use it. Have had it for years and link it to the kids' school. When did you give them your email?
I get an email from Harris Teeter twice per week. The first time is on Wednesday early morning telling me what the specials are for the upcoming week and the specific e-vic specials "just for me." Then I get another one on early Friday morning telling me about the super special "weekend only" offers. I've been getting these emails for years.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Leave the snark off the forum.

And, people can absolutely discuss loyalty programs in a thread about loyalty programs.

But, keep the smart remarks, conjecture, and conspiracy theories off the forum.

Companies market their products.

In other news, water is wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: