Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Came here to say the same thing.

East Chapel Hill High School had something like 18 valedictorians last year.

The college system of getting recognized based on levels of GPA makes sense.

I find it ironic that the people who are throwing a hissy fit about this decision by WCPSS are largely the same folks who don't seem to care about the overall dis-investment of public education in NC by current state leaders.

Herp derp.
Yeah... that was what I was thinking of. From a practical standpoint, it also lengthens the graduation ceremony and, in my opinion, anything more than co-valedictorians sort of dilutes the honor.

I like the Latin system better.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Our society of overly obsessed with winners and losers and hanging these titles on teenagers sometimes has its unintended consequences.
I am nauseated every time I see one of those "my kid's the best...." bumper stickers on a car in front of me. While this may do wonders for some kids, it places enormous pressure on others. Changing the system to the reflect levels of honor in groups is perfectly reasonable to me and it will possibly encourage kids to push themselves out of the comfort zone once in while and take a challenge (and possibly learn something) instead of just protecting a ranking.
I don't like those stickers, either. I have been offered them because my kids have been honors students, but I just don't see the point. They know I'm proud of them and I am not keen on offering the world at large info about where they can find my kids every day during school hours.

This reminds me of an episode of Malcolm in the Middle that we watched not too long ago (we've been letting our daughter watch the series with us, and neither of us ever saw all the episodes the first time, so it's been funny). In Malcolm's gifted class, a former student comes back as a teacher and creates this board where he tracks all their grades. These are gifted kids who are within fractions of points carried to about 8 decimal places apart in terms of overall grade for the class, but they are in AGONY every time he moves their names up or down that board and he's sadistic enough to enjoy it. It's comical, of course, but that's kind of how I see the pressure on kids to be "the best" at schools where there are so many bright kids who have high GPAs.

The Latin system lets them all get recognized for whatever status they obtained and it's what they'll be subject to in college, anyway.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I like the latin system. I would definitely be in favor of that. I went to my nieces's high school graduation in Fairfax County and they had a dais with 40 kids up there who were all valedictorians. They just recognized everyone who had a 4.0 or higher.

But frankly I wish my kids didn't have to have grades at all. I'd rather they just learn. They are not motivated by grades — they are stressed out by them. They would be motivated to learn stuff just for the sake of learning it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I like the latin system. I would definitely be in favor of that. I went to my nieces's high school graduation in Fairfax County and they had a dais with 40 kids up there who were all valedictorians. They just recognized everyone who had a 4.0 or higher.

But frankly I wish my kids didn't have to have grades at all. I'd rather they just learn. They are not motivated by grades — they are stressed out by them. They would be motivated to learn stuff just for the sake of learning it, though.
Agreed.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
When high schools around here are graduating 700+ kids each year I do think it makes sense to make sure kids who are maybe 10-20 in their class get recognized. I really don't see the issue with this. I don't really see the connection to "everyone gets a medal" at all. And I'm opposed to that theory.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When high schools around here are graduating 700+ kids each year I do think it makes sense to make sure kids who are maybe 10-20 in their class get recognized. I really don't see the issue with this. I don't really see the connection to "everyone gets a medal" at all. And I'm opposed to that theory.
I agree there, too. If my kid had a 4.15 GPA and got no acknowledgement at all, that would annoy me. The Latin system recognizes these high achievers without making the valedictory system into a farce.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I don't think it would annoy me, actually. In my experience kids and teachers all know who the kids are who are hard-working and smart. I don't know that I would be annoyed if my hard-working, smart kid had a 4.15 and didn't get a special acknowledgement for that. I don't mind if they do or anything, but if I imagine a school with no valedictorians or summa c u m laudes that doesn't seem so terrible for my kids. My kids, though, don't like it when their school has a special ice cream party for the kids that are on the A-B honor roll and some of their friends that have one C+ are left out. They're very non-competitive and would really like for everyone to be able to have ice cream.

I know it's a competitive society, though, so they're going to have to deal with it. But they're little hippie kids at heart who just want peace and love and don't care about who has the highest class rank.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
That's not what it's about. Students are still recognized for the level of GPA they attain, and it's still competitive. But the race for valedictorian leads many students to make decisions that aren't in their best interests.
So what? Show me one person at the top of their heap that hasn't made decisions contrary to their best wholistic interests.

Elite athletes dedicate huge amounts of time and often are injured in pursuit of greatness.

The CEO had to spend many long nights working, not with his family.

Show me the Juilliard musician who didn't skip time with friends, more rigorous academic work, and sports to achieve that top level.

And, show me the valedictorian who didn't forego something neat like Earth Science or Zoology or intro to Economics in place of a higher level course.

All that said, I think it may or may not be much ado about nothing. I know a competitive high school in my hometown area did away with class rank, and the following year got 30 more kids admitted into University of Illinois, which is extremely competitive for kids from the Chicago burbs (not unlike UNC-CH.)

Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't think it would annoy me, actually. In my experience kids and teachers all know who the kids are who are hard-working and smart. I don't know that I would be annoyed if my hard-working, smart kid had a 4.15 and didn't get a special acknowledgement for that. I don't mind if they do or anything, but if I imagine a school with no valedictorians or summa c u m laudes that doesn't seem so terrible for my kids. My kids, though, don't like it when their school has a special ice cream party for the kids that are on the A-B honor roll and some of their friends that have one C+ are left out. They're very non-competitive and would really like for everyone to be able to have ice cream.

I know it's a competitive society, though, so they're going to have to deal with it. But they're little hippie kids at heart who just want peace and love and don't care about who has the highest class rank.
Well, I don't think I meant that my kids need tons of recognition from the school for the sake of being recognized. They really all have never liked attention.

Was thinking about the recognition for the purposes of college applications.

I know a GPA is a GPA but listing that you were valedictorian or listing that you graduated summa *** laude is an attractive addition.

That's about all it does, really.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:21 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
My understanding is that class rank is becoming less and less an important factor in college admissions I read a study that in 1993, 50% of colleges considered class rank "highly important" and in 2008, less than 20% rated class rank as a highly important factor in college admissions. Instead they look more to the number of AP and IB classes, academic growth, leadership activities and generally looking at the student more "wholly".
I think schools are just following suit as to what colleges are looking for. I don't really have an isue with class rank either way, my high school kids are excellent students but i not competitive, Instead, we focus on being well rounded, educated, motivated and productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary