Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 PM

256 posts, read 266,403 times

Advertisements

thank you all for the advice on my previous thread, all of your responses helped us in planning our first OBX trip!

we found a home we love, and the location is perfect. The only worry we have is that it is in South Nags head, and it seems that most of the houses that are left for rent in nags head are in this area. we are hoping we are not missing anything here.....

this house has a pond behind it, so we are worried that it may be very buggy. There are 21 reviews of this home - the most we have seen and we did tons of research. it looks lovely, and none of the reviews complained about bugs. we know mosquitos are worse in NC than NY, we just dont want to rent a home where it will be so bad we can't sit outside on the deck. We have absolutely no idea how buggy it can get!!

Could anyone fill me in? thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
As long as there is a breeze, which most of the time at the beach there is, it won't be bad at all. However, if the house is surrounded by other houses which blocks the breeze I'd invest in some mosquito coils.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
My personal opinion on mosquitoes is that they are more or less the same anywhere east of the Mississipi. I don't think the mosquitoes are any worse here than the Midwest.
I haven't been to New York, but generally don't find the mosquitoes here to be noteworthy outside of a swamp.

Most of my time on the coast has been mosquito free. There ia enough wind coming off the ocean to make them a non issue.

My hunting lease (Eastern NC) is low lying and wet. I definitely have bad mosquitoes there. A thermacell keeps them away from my deer stands. If you're worried, a thermacell on the deck table will do the trick but I doubt it's needed.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Anywhere there is standing water you run the risk of mosquitoes, that said if this house were mosquito heaven it would certainly be in the reviews. People complain about the dumbest things being the fault of a homeowner, and this would be no exception.

It's possible the homeowner has the property treated for the pests, it's also possible that since it's the beach, there just isn't as much of an issue (I've never been bitten by a mosquito at the beach).

The mosquitos are no worse here than on Long Island.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:27 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,881 times
We went camping on Ocracoke as a kid and I remember there being a bunch of mosquitos whenever the air was still. Which was not that often, but often enough to be an issue. We used bug spray and had a great time. YMMV.

Mosquito borne illnesses are no joke. West Nile, etc can be pretty nasty, and with Zika likely headed our way eventually, we should all just get used to protecting ourselves. Don't get too caught up in chemophobia over DEET or whatever. Or if you don't like the smell of DEET, use Lemon Eucalyptus, it's pretty much just as good.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:40 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Don't get too caught up in chemophobia over DEET or whatever. Or if you don't like the smell of DEET, use Lemon Eucalyptus, it's pretty much just as good.
CR recently released their latest look at insect repellents
Mosquito Repellents That Best Protect Against Zika - Consumer Reports

Old 05-25-2016, 07:05 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
The outer banks are surrounded by a giant salt marsh, that is going to be a much richer breeding ground for mosquitos that a little pond that is likely to be virtually free of mosquito larvae.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
I'd rather get bit than breathe that spray.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
There are areas if the Outer Banks where I've had trouble with mosquitoes and areas where I've really had just minor issues. We've mostly stayed in Buxton, Avon and on Ocracoke over the last 10 years, and of those, only Avon was a problem (Canadian Hole, the windsurfing spot on the sound side between Avon and Buxton was especially bad). The mosquitoes always seemed worse around dusk. If you are on the beach or oceanfront, it is not an issue, but once sheltered from the wind you have to watch out.

If the deck on the house you are rented is higher up, that is a plus.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:06 AM

340 posts, read 295,717 times
Those green head bugs are just as bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary