Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 05:47 PM

7,177 posts, read 6,726,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I was referring to the push for I-87. I'm 100% behind the US 70/I-42 upgrades.
Oh, ok! I misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 02:26 AM

A section of the Goldsboro Bypass has been named the John H. Kerr III Highway.

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Governor to attend naming ceremony

Quote:
A ceremony dedicating a section of the U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass as the John H. Kerr III Highway will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 3.

Gov. Roy Cooper is expected to attend the ceremony to be held in Courtroom No. 1 in the Wayne County Courthouse.

Kerr's sons, John H. Kerr IV and James Y. Kerr II, will speak.

Wayne County Commissioner Wayne Aycock will speak on behalf of the county.

The 5-mile section of bypass to be dedicated in memory of Kerr stretches from the highway's interchange with Interstate 795 to U.S. 13.

The ceremony was announced Tuesday morning during the commissioners' meeting.

The late Kerr, one of the most powerful members of the state General Assembly, championed improvements to state infrastructure including the bypass and the I-795 designation for a four-lane U.S. 117 between Goldsboro and Wilson.

Gus Tulloss of Rocky Mount, who represents District Four on the state Board of Transportation, made the motion in June to name the section in memory of Kerr.

The DOT Board unanimously approved the motion.

Born in Warrenton, Kerr was a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, president of the junior class, treasurer of the student body and president of the Order of the Grail.

After receiving his bachelor's degree, Kerr attended the University of North Carolina Law School, receiving a law degree with honors in 1961.

He was first elected to the state House of Representatives in 1986, serving three terms before being elected to the state Senate, where he served from 1992 until 2008.

In their resolution to the state seeking the designation, commissioners praised Kerr for his dedication on focusing attention on the need to bolster eastern North Carolina's infrastructure -- including the need for improvements for water, sewer, natural gas and roads.

The resolution added that Kerr dedicated his life to his family, Madison Avenue Baptist Church, numerous boards, civic organizations -- causes that touched the lives of the people and communities in North Carolina and especially in eastern North Carolina.

Kerr received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, the state's highest civilian honor, and a plaque of appreciation from the N.C. Rural Economic Development Center for his leadership in providing financial assistance on water and sewer projects for struggling communities across the state.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 PM

The US-70 Corridor Commission has finally woken up from their beauty sleep and posted the minutes from their July 20 meeting.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-co...-July_2017.pdf

The director's report for August & September has been posted as well. It contains updates on the current and future projects along US-70 as well as an updated corridor map.

Also there seems to have been concerns/complaints from business owners regarding the reduced weight limits for trucks that will go into effect once US-70 begins to be added to the Interstate system as I-42. From the looks of it, the Commission will lobby Congressional leaders to introduce a bill that will allow overweight trucks to continue using US-70 after it becomes I-42. A similar thing was done for I-41 in Wisconsin.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-co...ors-Report.pdf

Old 10-24-2017, 09:09 AM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
Interesting. I wouldn’t have guessed the weight limits for an interstate would be lower than a US route, but I guess I can see some sense as it would keep slower moving vehicles off of it.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Interesting. I wouldn’t have guessed the weight limits for an interstate would be lower than a US route, but I guess I can see some sense as it would keep slower moving vehicles off of it.
It depends on the state. Some states like NC allow heavier limits on non-interstate highways than the federal 80,000 GVW limit on interstates. Here's a good breakdown:

https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/pol...laws/index.htm

Quote:
This report addresses laws related to the National Highway System (NHS) of which the Interstate Highway System roadways are a subset. The States determine laws and regulations affecting truck size and weight on portions of the NHS that are not also a part of the Interstate System.

Current truck size and weight standards are a blend of Federal and State regulations and laws. Federal law controls maximum gross vehicle weights and axle loads on the Interstate System. Federal limits are 80,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, 20,000 pounds on a single axle, and 34,000 pounds on a tandem axle group. There are also Federal standards for length and width on the National Network (NN). The NN comprises the Interstate and certain roadways designated by the States. There are no Federal vehicle height limits.

The report demonstrates that all States have laws in place to ensure compliance with Federal size and weight requirements. The report also shows that in some instances, States have laws that allow sizes and weights on non-Interstate highways in excess of the current Federal truck size and weight limits. This is an expected finding, as State laws control maximum gross vehicle sizes and weights on non-Interstate highways, including the NHS.
Businesses along US-41 (before it became I-41) in Wisconsin had the same complaints since heavier trucks are allowed on non-interstate highways in that state and US-41 is a major freight corridor. The state waited until a bill grandfathering the existing weight limits on US-41 (92,000 GVW) passed Congress before pursuing final approval of I-41.

This may explain why the US-70 Corridor Commission hasn't (yet) pressured NCDOT to get approval to sign the Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses as I-42 the way Raleigh had done for I-87.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Pasquotank County is strongly opposed to having I-87 follow the proposed connector route. They want I-87 to stay on US-17. Also, VDOT has begun it's study of VA's section of I-87.

Where should I-87 go? Locals: No reroute through Currituck - Daily Advance

Old 11-03-2017, 04:00 PM

A new interchange at the former US-70/US-70 Business intersection east of Smithfield will open to traffic this Monday. An aerial view of the new interchange can be seen on the webpage.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14561

Quote:
Beginning next week, travelers on U.S. 70 east of Smithfield will encounter changes that improve the safety and flow of traffic.

The N.C. Department of Transportation plans to open by Monday, Nov. 6, a new interchange and overpass where U.S. 70 and U.S. 70 Business once intersected. With its construction, traffic on the two-lane road will cross over the main highway, allowing motorists to enter or exit U.S. 70 via new ramps.

Once the new interchange is open, contract crews will close the median crossover at nearby Firetower Road. Eliminating the crossover will require motorists on Firetower Road to turn right onto the highway, or to use the new interchange to go in the other direction toward Smithfield.

More improvements are coming over the next month along the same two-mile stretch of U.S. 70. Crews with Flatiron Constructors Inc. of Broomfield, Colo., are also building an interchange with an overpass and ramps at the highway’s intersection with Davis Mill Road/Stevens Chapel Road.

After the Davis Mill/Stevens Chapel interchange opens the middle of this month, NCDOT will close two crossover medians between the two new interchanges: One location is at Pine Street, and the other is the Peedin Road/Creeches Mill Road intersection at U.S. 70. Closing the crossover medians will improve safety by reducing the risk of collisions.

This section of U.S. 70 has an average of more than 29,000 vehicles a day – a figure expected to reach 45,000 vehicles by 2035. Motorists on the side streets now have to stop and wait for traffic to clear. The $16.7 million project began in 2015 and is scheduled to be completed by February 2018.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,230,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
A new interchange at the former US-70/US-70 Business intersection east of Smithfield will open to traffic this Monday. An aerial view of the new interchange can be seen on the webpage.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14561
What about all the "driveways" to businesses and homes in that section? It mentions closing two crossover medians after the second interchange is opened, but are they building frontage roads?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
What about all the "driveways" to businesses and homes in that section? It mentions closing two crossover medians after the second interchange is opened, but are they building frontage roads?
The at-grades will remain for the time being and as far as I know, no frontage roads are currently being built. The interchange was planned before the idea to turn US-70 into an interstate became a reality, so that's probably why the driveways and other at-grades are remaining, at least for now.

Frontage roads probably won't be built until NCDOT starts the full freeway conversion on that stretch, whenever that may be.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:34 AM

4,232 posts, read 4,654,407 times
NCDOT should fix the ridiculous proliferation of US 70 routes in that area (US 70, US 70 Bypass, US 70 Business, US 70 Alternate). There should be one and only one US 70, along what's now designated US 70 Bypass. The other three should be decommissioned from the US system and given NC state highway numbers like NC 170, NC 270, and NC 370 -- all of which are unassigned. Or, if you want to be a traditionalist, use NC 701, NC 702, and NC 703; they're unassigned too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary