Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 09:53 PM

384 posts, read 268,496 times

Advertisements

Interstate 87 could be continued northeast through Delaware and Central Jersey to connect to the existing Interstate 87 that runs from suburban New York City to Montreal. This would provide a great alternate for those northbound travelers from the Triangle to bypass Interstate 95 and the traffic tie ups that plague that interstate from Richmond northward to Baltimore. In truth Pennsylvania's Interstate 99 should be renumbered to 83, be extended north to start just west of Rochester, NY following the existing routes of Interstate 390 and US 15 down through Pennsylvania, then directly into the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill region, and southward further to Myrtle Beach or Charleston. Of course changing the number of the existing 83 that runs from Harrisburg to Baltimore would be a nightmare from a confusion standpoint. Of course there are non-consecutive interstates with the same number. Interstate 84 is one example that comes to mind with an eastern section running between Hartford, CT and Scranton, PA, and a western section of I-84 that follows the old Oregon Trail route and also the route that Lewis and Clark used to get to the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 06:52 AM

4,232 posts, read 4,654,407 times
My guess is, VDOT doesn't want to see long-haul traffic on I-64 around the south and east sides of Norfolk and especially not on the US 13 segment that connects to the bridge-tunnel. I think there's been long-standing controversy about that part of US 13. There'd be NIMBY opposition from Delaware and NJ, too. But the bigger problem is the expense of the project. To solve the Norfolk problem, to get I-87 across/under the Delaware River, and then to tie it into the GSP or some other expressway in northern NJ would take billions.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:51 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,710,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
Interstate 87 could be continued northeast through Delaware and Central Jersey to connect to the existing Interstate 87 that runs from suburban New York City to Montreal. This would provide a great alternate for those northbound travelers from the Triangle to bypass Interstate 95 and the traffic tie ups that plague that interstate from Richmond northward to Baltimore. In truth Pennsylvania's Interstate 99 should be renumbered to 83, be extended north to start just west of Rochester, NY following the existing routes of Interstate 390 and US 15 down through Pennsylvania, then directly into the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill region, and southward further to Myrtle Beach or Charleston. Of course changing the number of the existing 83 that runs from Harrisburg to Baltimore would be a nightmare from a confusion standpoint. Of course there are non-consecutive interstates with the same number. Interstate 84 is one example that comes to mind with an eastern section running between Hartford, CT and Scranton, PA, and a western section of I-84 that follows the old Oregon Trail route and also the route that Lewis and Clark used to get to the west.
Or they could extend I-85 from Petersburg up through the DC area via multiplex with I-95, west along I-495 (Capital Beltway), over I-270 to Frederick (replacing that number), along I-70 and I-76 (multiplexed), then north replacing I-99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
My guess is, VDOT doesn't want to see long-haul traffic on I-64 around the south and east sides of Norfolk and especially not on the US 13 segment that connects to the bridge-tunnel. I think there's been long-standing controversy about that part of US 13. There'd be NIMBY opposition from Delaware and NJ, too. But the bigger problem is the expense of the project. To solve the Norfolk problem, to get I-87 across/under the Delaware River, and then to tie it into the GSP or some other expressway in northern NJ would take billions.
The Norfolk-Virginia Beach portion of US 13 seems to be the easiest, especially considering that the bridge approach in Virginia Beach is already a freeway alignment (minus one traffic light). I would think that the Eastern Shore section of 13 would be the toughest sell.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:55 PM

4,232 posts, read 4,654,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
The Norfolk-Virginia Beach portion of US 13 seems to be the easiest, especially considering that the bridge approach in Virginia Beach is already a freeway alignment (minus one traffic light)
Last I looked there were 7 traffic lights on US 13 between I-64 and the bridge-tunnel. The surrounding area is so built-up that it would be expensive to build a new expressway through there.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:04 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,230,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Or they could extend I-85 from Petersburg up through the DC area via multiplex with I-95, west along I-495 (Capital Beltway), over I-270 to Frederick (replacing that number), along I-70 and I-76 (multiplexed), then north replacing I-99.
If I'm not mistaken, I-99 is the only interstate designation written into law, old good Bud Shuster!

From its Wikipedia page:

Unlike most Interstate Highway numbers, which were assigned by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) to fit into a grid, I-99's number was written into Section 332 of the National Highway System Designation Act of 1995 by Bud Shuster, then-chair of the U.S. House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, the bill's sponsor, and the representative of the district through which the highway runs.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,710,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Last I looked there were 7 traffic lights on US 13 between I-64 and the bridge-tunnel. The surrounding area is so built-up that it would be expensive to build a new expressway through there.
I should have specified "from Independence north." Below that, you're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I-99 is the only interstate designation written into law, old good Bud Shuster!

From its Wikipedia page:

Unlike most Interstate Highway numbers, which were assigned by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) to fit into a grid, I-99's number was written into Section 332 of the National Highway System Designation Act of 1995 by Bud Shuster, then-chair of the U.S. House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, the bill's sponsor, and the representative of the district through which the highway runs.
There have been several since then. For example, I think I-74 in NC is stuck there now because of law, even if they never completely build it to connect to Ohio.

And nothing says laws can't be repealed, although I don't think anyone in Congress or the state legislatures cares much about renumbering nonsensically-designated roads...

Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 AM

652 posts, read 2,693,505 times
The overhead signs for the Havelock Bypass that will begin construction in a couple of months will have room for the I-42 shield. When does it officially become I-42? I'm still confused why an intrastate highway received an interstate designation, but whatever.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:37 AM

7,177 posts, read 6,726,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
The overhead signs for the Havelock Bypass that will begin construction in a couple of months will have room for the I-42 shield. When does it officially become I-42?
Probably not until a large chunk of it is complete. NCDOT could get approval from FHWA to have the Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses signed as I-42 but they haven’t done so, which is a little odd considering they wasted no time slapping I-87 shields on the Knightdale Bypass.

Quote:
I'm still confused why an intrastate highway received an interstate designation, but whatever.
Because it’s a major freight corridor and hurricane evacuation route, plus there are two military bases. It’s connection to I-40 also allows it to double as a cross-country interstate for trucks. Easy candidate for an interstate.

On the local level, towns/cities wanted it to become an interstate in order to use it as a marketing tool to lure businesses, since some won’t consider an area without a nearby interstate. It’s one (out of many) reasons why the Global TransPark in Kinston never took off and why Greenville fought like hell to get US-264 designated a future interstate (I-587).

Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,687,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
one (out of many) reasons why the Global TransPark in Kinston never took off
I always forget about that. Just pulled it up on Google Maps satellite view and still looks about abysmal as ever. It's so out of the way from I-95 and I-40.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 AM

7,177 posts, read 6,726,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I always forget about that. Just pulled it up on Google Maps satellite view and still looks about abysmal as ever. It's so out of the way from I-95 and I-40.
It’s recently begun to show some signs of life.

LGM Enterprises bringing 145 more jobs to Global Transpark - Daily Reflector

Allen Thomas was previously mayor of Greenville and given the developments that have happened during his time there before becoming executive director of GTP in 2017, I think GTP is in very good hands now. It appears to be much better managed and the recent redesign of GTP website specifically mentions US-70 being Future I-42, as well as other current and future infrastructure upgrades. The old website was a dumpster fire.

https://www.ncgtp.com/Pages/default.aspx#/

There was also this proposal made in Congress in 2016, but it didn’t get anywhere.

https://www.burr.senate.gov/imo/medi...ille%20hwy.pdf

Last edited by LM117; 01-06-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary