Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,870,850 times

Advertisements

White Raleigh Loves Wake’s Transit Plan, But Black Raleigh Isn’t Sold

By Jane Porter

Photo by Alex Boerner
At last week's public hearing, dozens of mostly white residents effusively praised Wake's transit plan. Southeast Raleigh's African-Americans, however, aren't yet sold.

It's a rare occasion when business representatives and environmentalists, seniors and millennials, city and country dwellers all get on the same page.

But that's what happened at the Raleigh Convention Center last week, at a public hearing on Wake County's transit plan. Going by the dozens of mostly white, mostly affluent people who effusively praised the plan, it would be easy to conclude that it enjoys near unanimous support—and why wouldn't it?
If voters approve the $2.3 billion November bond referendum, the county will quadruple the number of buses on the road, with significantly expanded high-frequency service and bus rapid transit corridors running in the heart of Raleigh. It will connect regionally through a commuter rail system running from Garner to Duke University. And it will add more routes and longer service hours to link residents to destinations throughout the county.

"I depend on public transportation to get around because I don't drive," Raleigh resident Jeff Smith said at the hearing. "I've been in Raleigh since 1985, and I've been using the bus system ever since. I'm real happy the people of Wake County will finally have an opportunity to vote to increase public transit, something that is long overdue."

But at a listening session held the week before at Martin Street Baptist Church, it was clear that some southeast Raleigh residents have serious doubts about the plan, doubts that go beyond whether bus shelters will be sufficiently upgraded or expanded service will reach underserved routes. Some wonder if Wake's transit plan will actually improve the quality of life for the people it's designed to benefit most—in this case, low-income residents in Raleigh's southeast corner, which is slated to receive more than $400 million in bond money from the plan over ten years.

"Are low-wealth communities going to benefit from this, or is this a tool by the development community to steer development on transit corridors?" asked community leader Dan Coleman...

White Raleigh Loves Wake

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 AM

6,641 posts, read 5,533,663 times
I also have reservations about the Wake County transit plan but have kind of taken the "well anything is better than nothing route". The plan is centered around people living inside the belt line and with all the gentrification that is happening, pretty soon that will have to change as the poor people are pushed out from the downtown areas where the transit plan is centered around. It should have done more to increase transit service in North Raleigh as well as Garner/Knightdale/Southeast Raleigh. I'm also wondering how easy it will be for people in the outer parts of Wake County who don't really benefit from the plan (other than service during peak hours to RTP/downtown Raleigh) to vote for it.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,687,140 times
Horrible Indy title aside, I feel that if we can dump more money into public transit to the point where the more affluent populace can see it as a viable alternative to their own commuting, it can be a potential win for the future of all residents. Whether that's commuting to work or even simple lazy day trips to the downtown/retail cores for shopping.

Something has to give and someone is always going to be unhappy no matter what. We clearly can't keep doing what we've been doing with the volume of people moving to this area. It won't work and our roads can't keep up.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:31 AM

9,339 posts, read 13,919,210 times
Hmmm. When I look at the map I only see one Raleigh.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,503,463 times
This title seems to be doing a little race baiting (article)

Also these so call community leaders don't speak for all or most of Raleigh's black residents.

Btw what business along New Bern Ave? The ran down shops and check cashing places. Let hope those are the first thing that goes.

Their entire point of view of flawed IMO. That area needs a shot in the arm badly. Hopefully BRT will help. It doesn't seem like anything else has.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:18 PM

5,779 posts, read 6,826,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Btw what business along New Bern Ave? The ran down shops and check cashing places. Let hope those are the first thing that goes.
Not sure what part of New Bern Ave they are referring to, but there is a fantastic restaurant there.
Jack

Old 05-30-2016, 04:27 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,870,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Not sure what part of New Bern Ave they are referring to, but there is a fantastic restaurant there.
Jack
Jerk Masters is good, too. there are a few business along New Bern that are solid and help define the area's character.

https://www.restaurant.com/jerk-mast...eigh-pid=27636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
This title seems to be doing a little race baiting (article)

Also these so call community leaders don't speak for all or most of Raleigh's black residents.

Their entire point of view of flawed IMO. That area needs a shot in the arm badly. Hopefully BRT will help. It doesn't seem like anything else has.
try reading it again...

And view of the routes being the final frontier in completing the SE gentrification is kinda legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hmmm. When I look at the map I only see one Raleigh.
Are your spectacles Rose colored?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Horrible Indy title aside, I feel that if we can dump more money into public transit to the point where the more affluent populace can see it as a viable alternative to their own commuting, it can be a potential win for the future of all residents. Whether that's commuting to work or even simple lazy day trips to the downtown/retail cores for shopping.

Something has to give and someone is always going to be unhappy no matter what. We clearly can't keep doing what we've been doing with the volume of people moving to this area. It won't work and our roads can't keep up.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I also have reservations about the Wake County transit plan but have kind of taken the "well anything is better than nothing route". The plan is centered around people living inside the belt line and with all the gentrification that is happening, pretty soon that will have to change as the poor people are pushed out from the downtown areas where the transit plan is centered around. It should have done more to increase transit service in North Raleigh as well as Garner/Knightdale/Southeast Raleigh. I'm also wondering how easy it will be for people in the outer parts of Wake County who don't really benefit from the plan (other than service during peak hours to RTP/downtown Raleigh) to vote for it.
Excellent post. I'm on the fence, too.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,828,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post

"Dumping" money into things until they work has not been a particularly good plan for most governments.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:48 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,503,463 times
UserNamesake, areas character? The area we are speaking of. From Tarboro Rd up to Longview shopping center. Needs help yesterday. It has no character,at least nothing positive. Go over there at night. When the real fun starts then post about the areas character.

Also, final frontier of completing SE Raleigh's gentrification??? You have to be joking? Believe me that's not even close to being true. Maybe you need to explore the area a little more.

Don6170 Jacks is ok IMO. Franks Pizza is good. Other than that there's not much in that area of merit IMO. Except for the public library.

Last edited by Atowwn; 05-30-2016 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 06:16 PM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,687,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
"Dumping" money into things until they work has not been a particularly good plan for most governments.
Oh you know what I mean -- that's not exactly what I'm advocating. This area hasn't exactly kept up public transit wise with the growth of the populace and its sprawl outward. Thereby people who are able to commute/drive don't rely on public transit to get themselves anywhere here if they can help it. Take the money that has (will) be allocated and sink it smartly into transit that is reliably timed.

We need to invest in better public transit options in this area. You can only widen a road so far and in some areas there's basically no easement to widen into.

I don't want to drive, but I can't afford to buy property next door to where I work. Nor do I want to show up to a park-n-ride lot at 6:45am and have it take 45 mins to get to work when I could drive that distance in less than half the time.

I don't know what the perfect solution is, but what we have isn't going to work 15 years from now. Waiting 15 years for it to be a problem will be too late and insanely expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary