Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Thanks for the info--I guess Lead Mine would be considered the "Side street" of the two, but both roads are 4-lane, yet the green for Lead Mine is ridiculously short sometimes. When the front car is at a complete stop, it can take 7 seconds to even notice the green, hit the gas, and be through the intersection before the next cars even get to it, and heaven help us if the front car isn't watching.

I completely understand if it's a tiny dirt road leading onto a major artery, but both of those roads are significant thoroughfares, IMHO.
Hmm I guess Strickland would be the main road there but the volumes really don't justify giving Lead Mine only 7 seconds of green time. If anything, I would have guessed that the green times would be pretty evenly split since the volumes are not that different. There are a bunch of factors that go into signal timing though so I don't really know why that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 01:49 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AberZombi&Flesh View Post
Can't be any worse than the light at Six Forks and Millbrook (especially at odd hours of the day). You'll be sitting at a red light with NO traffic in sight forEVER..
Really? I think Six Forks & Millbrook is one of the better ones. When I lived in North Raleigh, I used to drive up and down Six Forks and those approaches of the signal always worked well (minus rush hour due to the crazy congestion at the intersection) whether it was noon or midnight.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:16 PM

544 posts, read 850,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Thanks for the info--I guess Lead Mine would be considered the "Side street" of the two, but both roads are 4-lane, yet the green for Lead Mine is ridiculously short sometimes. When the front car is at a complete stop, it can take 7 seconds to even notice the green, hit the gas, and be through the intersection before the next cars even get to it, and heaven help us if the front car isn't watching.

I completely understand if it's a tiny dirt road leading onto a major artery, but both of those roads are significant thoroughfares, IMHO.
Last spring the left turn signal from Northbound Creedmoor to Westbound Millbrook was "short cycling" badly during the afternoon rush hour. I emailed the city and it was fixed about a week and a half later.

I sure wish the city would put the signals (at least in quieter areas) on flash at night. Main road gets flashing yellow. Side street gets flashing red. That would save a lot of time sitting at lights, IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary