Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:11 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,721 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to hear the negatives of living in Wake Forest.
Like the nearest Trader Joe's being 25 miles away in Cary?
Plus anything like bugs, mosquitoes, people with attitude, lack of restaurants, too far from everything, etc that makes it not so good a place to live!

So lets hear the negative side of things about Wake Forest.

Last edited by ch123; 11-25-2006 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 02:05 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,139 times
I am interested in this too...

Old 11-25-2006, 07:55 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,694 times
Their schools' grades are not too good. Other than that, I don't see anything negative. If I'm not a mom, I would chose to live in Wake Forest.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:10 AM

54 posts, read 347,499 times
My husband has just moved to the Raleigh area and we'll be following shortly. I have asked him to check out the Wake Forest area as he will be working on the east side of Raleigh. I'll post a response after he gets back from the area. We don't have children (they're all grown) but are looking for a nice, quiet area to live in away from the hustle and bustle. I've heard nice things about Wake Forest but, as I've discovered, you just can't tell if it's for you until you personally visit the area. Everyone has different tastes It just depends on what type of living you enjoy.

Paula

Old 11-26-2006, 08:30 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
I live in wake forest, and my oldest is about to start kindergarten. I have many friends with kids in school here, they have been quite happy with the schools. I would check out greatschools.net and read some opinions from parents, look at the test scores, etc.

Yes, the nearest trader joe's is in cary, but I am sure in 5 years more will pop up! Wake forest has a great small town feel but really has everything you would need (home depot, target, restaurants, etc) and north raleigh is not that far away. Triangle town center mall is about 20 minutes.

I don't think I can comment on the bugs thing, because we have lived in the triangle my entire life and I don't see tons of bugs. The influx of people is not like cary, and people here seem to be accepting of new people.

I really like it, let me know if you have more questions!

Leigh

Old 11-26-2006, 08:51 AM

354 posts, read 1,217,721 times
Leighbhe, thanks for the input.

I will be checking it out personally next week if this is where home is going to be.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Bugs... they are everywhere in NC. I don't think they pick one town over the next. However, if you live near standing water you will get more mosquitoes. A ditch or bird bath with standing water will breed mosquitoes just as well as a pond. There are certain types of bugs you will find in Eastern NC that you won't find in Western NC... Yellow Flies (I don't know the technical name) and I'm not sure you get them in the triangle area.

However, there is an up side to bugs. Fireflies and Dragonflies and Crickets!! Oh MY! My kids love them. Where we currently live we don't get any fireflies or crickets and very few dragonflies. But while visiting family in NC this last summer my kids got to see all those cool bugs from their Eric Carl books. It was very magical for them and me too!

When the cicadas came through the South a few years back we had neighbors whose grandparents sent them cicada shells from Va. That was one cool show and tell day for those girls!

So it all depends on how you look at the bugs. And believe it or not you do get use to the annoying ones.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
Their schools' grades are not too good. Other than that, I don't see anything negative. If I'm not a mom, I would chose to live in Wake Forest.
There are lots of schools in WF, or to which WF kids are assigned, at least 3 elementaries by my count, for example!
My son is getting a great educaiton at Jones Dairy.
My middle schooler is ot yet getting all he needs but the teachers are right on it and are supplementing his work so he doesn't get too bored. Socially he is quite unhappy. Of course I do not think he would be any happier anywhere but back in his old school.

It is 15 minutes or more to a mall or a Panera bread, to suburbia as I remember it. But, the supermarkets are litereally around almost every corner and there is a super Target 5 minutes away, this is certainly not the boonies.
Ther eare transplants from all over the country, I hear more generic Americn accents than southern ones.
I am adjusting to being far from the mall, but, hey, that is what I wanted.
In return is is certainly quieter here. I have not been here long enough to start complaining!!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,475 times
I live in North Raleigh, but my kids are in school in Wake Forest, and I do a lot of business in WF. Certainly, if driving more than 15 minutes to a mall is not for you, than neither is Wake Forest. Personally, I would love to live there, but my husband does not want the 40+ minute commute to RTP. (Don't let anyone tell you it's "about 30 minutes" - unless you commute at midnight, it's not! ) I was showing clients around Wake Forest last weekend, and again, the commute was an issue. There are some great restaurants, and wonderful mom-and-pops downtown. All of the big box retailers are along the US-1 corridor, so the character of Wake Forest downtown, as well as the Seminary campus and historic district is carefully maintained. I have heard complaints that it is too conservative, but I have never personally seen an example of it, and in fact I have several liberal-minded friends who love it there.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:53 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
I live in North Raleigh, but my kids are in school in Wake Forest, and I do a lot of business in WF. Certainly, if driving more than 15 minutes to a mall is not for you, than neither is Wake Forest. Personally, I would love to live there, but my husband does not want the 40+ minute commute to RTP. (Don't let anyone tell you it's "about 30 minutes" - unless you commute at midnight, it's not! ) I was showing clients around Wake Forest last weekend, and again, the commute was an issue. There are some great restaurants, and wonderful mom-and-pops downtown. All of the big box retailers are along the US-1 corridor, so the character of Wake Forest downtown, as well as the Seminary campus and historic district is carefully maintained. I have heard complaints that it is too conservative, but I have never personally seen an example of it, and in fact I have several liberal-minded friends who love it there.

I have to disagree a little about the commute, I think it depends on which side of wake forest you live on, and where you are commuting in the park. We live on the west side, off of purnell, and my husband commute to the park (miami blvd) and it take him 30 minutes, and he goes back roads, doesn't get on 540 or any other interstate. So, when people ask me about the commute, that is what I tell them.....it all depends. We chose this side of wake forest so that my husband would have options for his commute, using 540 or not.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary