Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 03:38 PM

253 posts, read 234,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I didn't say it would - nor did I read that the OP wanted to live downtown. But I do question whether the OP will find something downtown at that price point.
If you take into account specials on some of the newer places, I think you could probably find a studio for that in one of the new downtown buildings (like the brand new building near my office, Edison Lofts, has studios for I think ~$1200 with 1 month free, so effectively $1100). But I'd find something out of downtown and get something bigger than a studio, because half the joy of leaving New York is no longer having to live in a studio or with roommates. Agree with Cameron Village or Crabtree, or maybe something near Lake Boone Trail near the shopping area where Guasaca and Bottle Revolution are? There's at least a couple of restaurants/bars in that center and it's probably less than 10 minutes to PNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 05:48 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,339,895 times
There are apartment complexes near Duraleigh and Edwards Mill, which should be about 5 minutes from PNC arena. Good shopping (Harris Teeter a minute away), near Crabtree Valley Mall, and convenient to much of the Triangle area. That would be my first choice.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:50 PM

23 posts, read 41,262 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It's looking like Cameron Village has a lot of votes, so I will definitely look around there.

I also checked out a new development right across from the Trader Joe's off of Wake Forest Rd this afternoon and it was really nice and in my price range--and a 1 bedroom. Still can't believe that there are actually luxury apartments (over 800 sq ft, with granite and stainless steel!) here for less than my half of the rent in a crappy 5th floor walkup. New York definitely screws with your perceptions of what is affordable.

It's right inside the Beltline--is traffic on 440 really awful in the morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Downtown Raleigh is not that far from PNC. The idea that that would be a rough commute for someone from Brooklyn is making me giggle. But previous posters had some good suggestions.
I know, I'm being a little dramatic about a 20 minute commute. But in my own defense, way less effort is required to plop down on a subway seat and go to sleep than to drive yourself

Old 06-22-2016, 01:28 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,862,791 times
At the risk of hijacking this thread I'd like to ask what the commute would be like in terms of time and rush hour traffic from:

1. Cameron Village to the Cisco office on Louis Stephens Drive in Morrisville

2. North Hills to the Cisco office on Louis Stephens Drive in Morrisville

As the crow flies they appear to be similar distances, I see that #2 has more time on 40 which I understand can get quite congested but may have that wrong.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,476,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammccleary View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It's looking like Cameron Village has a lot of votes, so I will definitely look around there.

I also checked out a new development right across from the Trader Joe's off of Wake Forest Rd this afternoon and it was really nice and in my price range--and a 1 bedroom. Still can't believe that there are actually luxury apartments (over 800 sq ft, with granite and stainless steel!) here for less than my half of the rent in a crappy 5th floor walkup. New York definitely screws with your perceptions of what is affordable.

It's right inside the Beltline--is traffic on 440 really awful in the morning?

I know, I'm being a little dramatic about a 20 minute commute. But in my own defense, way less effort is required to plop down on a subway seat and go to sleep than to drive yourself
The glitzy granite hides poor construction and unsafe wooden framed buildings looking like substantial construction. The building codes here are a sick joke.

The new building across from Trader Joe's is in a terrible traffic location.

This place is not the Heaven promised by the media.

Hope it works out for you.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:35 AM

253 posts, read 234,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
The glitzy granite hides poor construction and unsafe wooden framed buildings looking like substantial construction. The building codes here are a sick joke.
CapitalBlvd, I feel like I've seen you say this about every new complex when someone asks. Given that the vast majority of apartment complexes around here have been built pretty recently, what would you recommend?

Also, for the original poster, I don't think the traffic in/out of that complex across from Trader Joe's would be that bad because you've got a stoplight to turn left to get to 440 and when you're coming off 440 (if you're coming from PNC), you'll only have right turns and are going south--it's the northbound traffic on Wake Forest Rd. right before you get on 440 that's bad in the afternoon. Now, traffic actually on 440 is another story and depends entirely on what time you'd be commuting.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:01 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
At the risk of hijacking this thread I'd like to ask what the commute would be like in terms of time and rush hour traffic from:

1. Cameron Village to the Cisco office on Louis Stephens Drive in Morrisville

2. North Hills to the Cisco office on Louis Stephens Drive in Morrisville

As the crow flies they appear to be similar distances, I see that #2 has more time on 40 which I understand can get quite congested but may have that wrong.
Renting or buying? I would not rent that far out if I was working at Cisco unless I was largely remote.

If you are buying because you love Cameron Village, the commute might be more or less worth it. I know someone who lives in Five Points and commutes to Cisco. I'll ask how long that takes.

It takes us about 15 minutes to commute there, but we live in Cary.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:22 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Renting or buying? I would not rent that far out if I was working at Cisco unless I was largely remote.

If you are buying because you love Cameron Village, the commute might be more or less worth it. I know someone who lives in Five Points and commutes to Cisco. I'll ask how long that takes.

It takes us about 15 minutes to commute there, but we live in Cary.
I agree with this. If some type of walkability is a must for you there is downtown Apex and downtown Cary, both of which are closer to Cisco. Each of these towns will have a selection of pubs/dining to choose from. However, both are small towns and the nightlife does not compare to what you can do from Cameron Villages' proximity to Raleigh. I've driven from the Cisco campus to Cameron Village during the day and it's 20-25 minutes without traffic.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:31 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,862,791 times
I'll be renting, thanks for this, gives me more to think about.....
I was however leaning more towards North Hills. Would be good to hear what your friend from Five Points has to say.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:45 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I'll be renting, thanks for this, gives me more to think about.....
I was however leaning more towards North Hills. Would be good to hear what your friend from Five Points has to say.
At fast as 25 minutes, as slow as 35 minutes, depending on the traffic.

If there's an accident, can take more like 45, but that's not typical.

I hope that helps.

I would really look at Cary/Morrisville for the purposes of an apartment rental. There's a complex on Davis Drive that has everything within walking distance.

It's probably about 5 minutes to Cisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary