Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 PM

23 posts, read 41,336 times

Advertisements

Hi again everyone!

I posted a few months ago about my desperate attempts to leave New York and whether the Triangle could be a good fit, and I’m happy to say that I’ve accepted a job offer and will be moving to Raleigh mid-July.

Now I’ve just got to find a place to live. I’m actually in the area this week to check out apartments, but the majority of my tours are in downtown Raleigh. I’m concerned about the commute because my new job is in West Raleigh in an office part near PNC Arena.

Would anyone be able to recommend any apartment complexes around $1,100 nearer my new workplace? I’d love for it to be within a five minute drive of a grocery story and walkable to at least a few bars and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:15 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
The two areas that come to mind are around the intersection of Edwards Mill and Duraleigh and then along Lake Boone Trail. Both areas have shopping centers you could walk to that have places to eat and drink. Neither would offer the downtown sort of environment, but they would both be very close to PNC. There are place to live off of Trinity, as well, but there isn't a lot to walk to.

A bit further out, you might also look for stuff around NC State/Meredith College, including Cameron Village. The Cameron Village area is really just outside downtown, close enough to walk to downtown, but also plenty of stuff right there. You'd only be saving a little bit of commute though.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:40 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I'd be looking at Cameron Village, and North Hills. Both are 10-12 minutes away from PNC. You might also consider Crabtree (but the traffic can be a misery) or Park West in Morrisville.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Downtown Raleigh is not that far from PNC. The idea that that would be a rough commute for someone from Brooklyn is making me giggle. But previous posters had some good suggestions.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 AM

90 posts, read 89,851 times
Congrats! There are so many people who post that they are "thinking" of moving, but you are actually doing it! Good luck! If I were single and needed to be close to PNC, I'd probably live in the Cameron Village area or between Wade Ave and Hillsborough. I've driven through that neighborhood and seen "for rent" signs in front of privately owned houses and apartments so it might be worth it to do a little driving around too. It's so charming there. Best of luck!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:09 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
If you're coming from Brooklyn where you're accustomed to walkability, I'd definitely consider Cameron Village. Down the road, if you discover that you're comfortable with a location not quite as walkable, you can always move a little further out.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:32 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd be looking at Cameron Village, and North Hills. Both are 10-12 minutes away from PNC. You might also consider Crabtree (but the traffic can be a misery) or Park West in Morrisville.
I don't really see how North Hills or Park West would be a lot better commute than downtown

Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're coming from Brooklyn where you're accustomed to walkability, I'd definitely consider Cameron Village. Down the road, if you discover that you're comfortable with a location not quite as walkable, you can always move a little further out.
Yes. I live near there. Very easy drive to work in the morning. My Fiance lived between Crabtree and PNC and it was convenient.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
I'd actually be surprised if you find anything downtown at your price point, anyway--though the commute would not be bad if you did. There are some apartments/rental condos off Lake Boone Trail near the Art Museum that are very close to where you're talking about, that are a little older (1980s?) but seem to be in good shape, that should be in your range.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I don't really see how North Hills or Park West would be a lot better commute than downtown
I didn't say it would - nor did I read that the OP wanted to live downtown. But I do question whether the OP will find something downtown at that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary