Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM

332 posts, read 398,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Is there a particular reason you want to stay in Cary? I know there are communities in North Raleigh (Falls River comes to mind) where you can do this. Keep in mind that anywhere that allows drinking generally won't allow glass containers poolside.
I have a long lost cousin in Cary and he has filled me in a bit about the area. I am very interested in the public schools I have read about in Cary so far. I definitely want to check out North Raleigh as well thanks for reminding me to drive there as well.

It seems like there is alot of ground to cover when I visit. Just reinforces my thinking we need to rent a home first and get the lay of the land and understand the differences within neighborhoods and communities before taking the leap and buying a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:00 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Not Preston. Not sure about other country clubs.
Let's see- UNC Wellness (but to swim, not hang out- I think).
I hear Life Time by Regency has both indoor/outdoor pools that are nice. If you are on that side of town.
For swimming- TAC.
Oh and the Cary Y has a bubble over the pool in cold months.
We just joined UNC Wellness and their pool, although it does have a deep end, is not at all for hanging out. There are some benches/tile railings to sit but none of it would ever remotely be called comfortable. I have not resorted to bringing in my foldable camp chair but have been tempted.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:18 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
I have a long lost cousin in Cary and he has filled me in a bit about the area. I am very interested in the public schools I have read about in Cary so far. I definitely want to check out North Raleigh as well thanks for reminding me to drive there as well.

It seems like there is alot of ground to cover when I visit. Just reinforces my thinking we need to rent a home first and get the lay of the land and understand the differences within neighborhoods and communities before taking the leap and buying a home.
Good point. The two homes I have lived in, both in Cary limits, are 19 miles apart.

My experience with the pool thing has been midway between bible study and bacchanalia. Yes, people bring alcohol. They are mostly low-key about it, though, and it is more in the context of a laid back Sunday afternoon than a kegger. Many families have pizza delivered to our pool in the evening or bring picnic dinners. We have a strict "no glass" rule.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Good point. The two homes I have lived in, both in Cary limits, are 19 miles apart.

My experience with the pool thing has been midway between bible study and bacchanalia. Yes, people bring alcohol. They are mostly low-key about it, though, and it is more in the context of a laid back Sunday afternoon than a kegger. Many families have pizza delivered to our pool in the evening or bring picnic dinners. We have a strict "no glass" rule.

Wow, I didn't realize the area was so large!? From what I have read here and been told Cary sounds like the right fit for us given all the transplants. I am also originally from New York and a Yankee at heart. The scenerio you are painting is pretty much what I am hoping for, just hanging around the pool with some families/friends and having a few drinks and not have to worry about hoping in a car and driving anywhere after.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Wow, that is a bummer. I was hoping we could go swimming half the year! Where do people swim for the rest of the year, are their indoor community pools? I'm assuming the country clubs have them?
Generally what you will find is outdoor pools are open Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day. Some will also be opened weekends, and maybe for a few hours in the afternoon during the week, for a few weeks on either side of that. A combination of the weather and that the lifeguard staff is usually made up of high school students.

I think most families just cram their pool time into those months and don't really go to an indoor pool the other months. The indoor places cater to those who regularly swim for exercise or have kids in lessons or a swim club.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Don't over dramatize. Nobody said the OP couldn't have a beer (concealed, usually) or bring a plastic cup full of her favorite mixed drink to the pool. Her first post just conjured up images of people lounging poolside, holding martini glasses and eating finger foods.
Ah, the beauty of message boards. I didn't interpret the OP's post like that at all. I just figured she meant hanging at the pool, having a couple of beers or glasses of wine (in plastic glasses/cups) and some snacks. That's the norm at our pool. I can't tell you the number of times we've gone up there with a (small) cooler of drinks and some snacks, and then stayed to order pizza (yes, the local pizza place delivers to our pool) with some other families.

I think a neighborhood pool is a great way to meet people -- for adults and kids. Particularly if your kids are on swim team.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:49 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB1274 View Post
This is the bible belt. If you can find a pool that allows alcohol you will still be scowled at. Consider a different state imo. People keep to themselves and certainly dont want to drink with you at the neighborhood pool. The rent is cheap for a reason.
Not true. My neighborhood pool allows canned drinks at the pool and it is quite common for parents to be there for their kids evening swim practice with a few cold ones. No one frowns or makes comments.
In fact, our jello shots and jigglers are favorites for the swim parents that we hang out with! No one drinks to get drunk but we enjoy our beer.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Yes all the local pizza places will deliver to the pool. In fact last week during our Fun Friday there so many deliveries coming in people were getting their orders mixed up as they saw the delivery guy and ran out to grab their goods.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Ah, the beauty of message boards. I didn't interpret the OP's post like that at all. I just figured she meant hanging at the pool, having a couple of beers or glasses of wine (in plastic glasses/cups) and some snacks. That's the norm at our pool. I can't tell you the number of times we've gone up there with a (small) cooler of drinks and some snacks, and then stayed to order pizza (yes, the local pizza place delivers to our pool) with some other families.

I think a neighborhood pool is a great way to meet people -- for adults and kids. Particularly if your kids are on swim team.
You get me. I like to make cocktails and hang out. I am a guy btw.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post

I think it even depends on what time of day we read posts. LOL.

I do think neighborhood pools can be really great, absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary