Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 07:12 AM

185 posts, read 567,355 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just found out that I am pregnant (yay!!). Because we're planning on waiting a little while to tell anyone, I'm struggling to get info on some good OB doctors. Currently, we don't have insurance. We will purchase a plan when the exchange opens in November, but it's self pay until then.

We would greatly appreciate some recommendations for OB doctors or practices in the Cary/Apex area. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
First of all, congratulations. There are many good OBs in the area but you might want to investigate insurance first.

If you lost your job recently or lost your insurance due to a change in location, I believe you can apply for Obamacare under a qualifying change situation. If you apply in November during Open Enrollment, coverage usually does not begin until January when you would be quite far along.

Otherwise I would call around to check with offices, explaining your situation. Be prepared to pay for each visit upfront.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:43 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
Currently, we don't have insurance. We will purchase a plan when the exchange opens in November, but it's self pay until then.
If your joint income is low, you might be eligible to use the Wake County Clinic at 10 Sunnybrook Rd. Clinics

Old 06-28-2016, 09:05 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,855 times
I really like Capital Area Ob/gyn, specifically Dr. Christin Richardson.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM

Thank you for the responses! Unfortunately, we do not qualify for any of the special situations that would allow us to enroll now and our income is too high to qualify for Medicaid or any low-income clinics. We have decided to go with Triangle Physicians for Women in Cary. We're prepared to self-pay and hopefully we can negotiate some lower rates because of it. We should have the insurance in time for delivery, which I believe is the big expense. Thank you again for your responses!

Old 05-16-2017, 02:19 PM

75 posts, read 170,040 times
Hi ampetry,
How did that go with Triangle Physicians and which Ob/Gyn did you have and who would you recommend?
How did the insurance and self-pay go (similar situation here)?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Hi ampetry,
How did that go with Triangle Physicians and which Ob/Gyn did you have and who would you recommend?
How did the insurance and self-pay go (similar situation here)?

Thanks
Hi lazy,

It went really well. They set us up on a payment plan that was discounted due to self-payment. Once the insurance kicked in after January 1st they ran all the payments through the insurance and we actually wound up getting refunded a small amount due to what our insurance covers.

The way they are set up is that they have several physicians and several nurse midwives and they encourage you to see as many of them as possible since you won't know who will be on-call when you go into labor. We saw several of the midwives and liked all of them, though some more than others. You'll find the ones you prefer and can request them. The only doctor we saw during our prenatal visits was Dr.Vulgaropulos (aka
Dr. V), and we really liked him. For my delivery, I saw several of the nurse midwives due to a long labor. In the end, I needed the vacuum to assist with a difficult labor so they had to call the on-call doctor, who happened to be Dr. V! All-in-all, we had a great experience between the staff at Triangle Physicians for Women and the staff at Wake Med Cary. We plan on doing exactly the same for any future pregnancies!

Congrats and please don't hesitate if you have any other questions!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I really like Capital Area Ob/gyn, specifically Dr. Christin Richardson.
Second this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary