Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:30 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Chapel Hill's A Southern Season gourmet food store seeks Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection | News & Observer

Ironically, we were there just last week trying to use up an overly generous gift card I received in 2013! I just couldn't MAKE myself purchase stuff at those insanely ridiculous prices. $59.99/lb for prosciutto. $15 bottles of hot sauces that I can't even sample or return if I don't like them (two more reasons to love Costco). A $95 apron. Gimme a break.

But I've been carrying that damn gift card in my wallet for 3.5 years, and insisted that we finally get rid of it. The wine dept supplied a few interesting bottles that didn't have price tags that make me scream, and a few things were "on sale" - making them only about 10% more than other wine shops charge. At least the alcohol calmed my irritated financial sensibilities.

It's like watching that TV show, Million Dollar Listing. I just can't believe how much money some people have. And how eadiky they spend it. CRAZY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Not too surprising considering this recent post about vendors not getting paid:

Any local Southern Season Vendors

While it was great fun perusing all of their inventory, it was ridiculously overpriced. I used to enjoy going to the restaurant for lunch, looking around the store and maybe coming come with an unusual kitchen gadget. I've always told people that you can get many of the packaged food items, dishes etc at Homegoods for a heck of a lot less!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I'll miss them. Lots of unusual food and other items, and the staff were always pleasant. Interesting people shopping as well, plus their prepared foods were really great. Wish I could have taken a few of their cooking classes, but the drive was too far.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:50 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
They're closing their Charleston location, and they've closed their Richmond location

Old 06-25-2016, 06:20 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
It's a chapter 11 BK - restructuring. It's unlikely they will go completely out of business. I'd predict the small store concept will continue. The large stores will probably close (like Richmond already has, and Savannah is about to), though it wwouldn't surprise me if Chaoel Hill stays open. It's their flagship. Especially if their corporate offices are someplace in that building.

And they'll expand their online business - about ten years too late.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:09 AM

492 posts, read 1,151,612 times
Nice place to visit, but I never shopped there. Ridiculous prices. I would look onamazon while there then order something at much reduced price.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:50 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Not too surprising considering this recent post about vendors not getting paid:

Any local Southern Season Vendors

While it was great fun perusing all of their inventory, it was ridiculously overpriced. I used to enjoy going to the restaurant for lunch, looking around the store and maybe coming come with an unusual kitchen gadget. I've always told people that you can get many of the packaged food items, dishes etc at Homegoods for a heck of a lot less!
Exactly what I thought when I first heard this. City-Data posters are great source of pending problems. Great discussion board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:08 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
They do an incredibly business around the holidays, but I don't think their business model differentiates them enough to charge some of the prices that they do. I'd certainly use any gift cards asap, in case they get included in the bankruptcy, but it looks like the local stores will stay open for a while.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 AM

605 posts, read 804,211 times
Oh no! Is this just a case of too much expansion too soon?

Old 06-26-2016, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,051 times
I'm one of the smaller vendors that is going to be affected by the Chapter 11 BK. Unfortunately just 45 days ago I sent Southern Season 134 handmade leather items (handbags and wallets) The invoice was due this past Friday. However, instead of getting a check, I got an email with a PDF of a letter explaining that "the law will not allow us to immediately pay invoices outstanding for goods delivered and services rendered prior to Friday, June 24, 2016"
So, now in all likelihood I will NOT be paid. To add to that, my goods were probably part of that amazing going out of business sale.

I'm extremely frustrated and this was suppose to be a great opportunity for my small business and now I'm out thousands of dollars and months of hard work. I knew they were terrible at paying on time, but I didn't see this coming.

Southern Season is STILL expanding. They just filed Chapter 11 to get out of all the bad debt they accrued over the past few years of expanding too fast. Okay, rant over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary