Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:40 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Yeah, because everybody sucks. They all just suck. People suck. Life sucks. The world sucks.
That is the gist of your every post, so I thought I would clarify for those in the back.
May I ask- what is wrong with you exactly, Saturnfan?
Nothing but I call 'em like I see 'em.

This area is falling in QOL as the surge of transplants continues putting stress on everything.

Growth is not always good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 07:45 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

This area is falling in QOL as the surge of transplants continues putting stress on everything.

It was good enough for you and I to relocate here.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
It was good enough for you and I to relocate here.
Stop it, he relocated here in 1989. He shut the door after he arrived. Why did you open it back up?

Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Translated ---> "Make Capital Boulevard Great Again!"

Old 06-29-2016, 11:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Translated ---> "Make Capital Boulevard Great Again!"
I might actually like to see that happen.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 PM

119 posts, read 201,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

I am curious of you thoughts, do you think it's getting overheated?
I don't think it's overheated at all, just picking back up a fast pace of growth that had slowed after the Great Recession. In fact, I get the sense that things are kind of sputtering now. For one, we need better housing options. You can't find anything decent on 1/2 acre or more. So much new construction is on tiny, tiny lots with literal strips of grass between houses and (if you're lucky) a single window on the side. And there's not nearly enough new construction along the new western 540.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:42 PM

555 posts, read 500,256 times
Quote:

I agree about the QOL here. Growth in general is good, but such a fast pace of growth must be stressful on long-term residents and natives, certainly. I moved here over 13 years ago and did so because I did not want to move to a large city. Everyone from DC, NYC, LA, etc., likes to point out that we don't have any idea what "real" traffic is like or what a "real" city offers. Actually, yes. Yes, I do. And I love visiting those places but I specifically chose not to live in a location like that, and still prefer not to. Yet, my commute time has doubled, the grocery stores shelves are ransacked and can be nearly empty in certain stores near me after each weekend, and I genuinely worry about school placement/stability and opportunities for my children, just like everyone else.

Things change, and we have to accept that. But having recent transplants constantly repeat that everything is fine, because, after all, it's not Long Island/Seattle/Boston, is not reassuring in the least and just shows a level of tone deafness that is irritating. If things continue based on the growth in just the last 5 years, I give it another 5 years before these same transplants join the chorus. Because they're not suddenly going to build the roads and schools faster just because now YOU are here.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:43 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,684 times
Quote:
This area .... will take a big hit when the greedy, disloyal employers that were bribed to move here get a better bribe and move on.
Ugh, what happened in Singapore, and one reason why I'm coming to the area.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I agree about the QOL here. Growth in general is good, but such a fast pace of growth must be stressful .... the grocery stores shelves are ransacked and can be nearly empty in certain stores near me after each weekend.
Where on earth is this happening? I've lived here for 11 years now and have NEVER experienced what you are describing.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:18 PM

555 posts, read 500,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Where on earth is this happening? I've lived here for 11 years now and have NEVER experienced what you are describing.
Many places in Wake Forest... Lowes, Food Lion, etc. Try going to the Wake Forest Target on a Saturday evening, about 7 or 8 p.m. Some of the aisles will look like wild animals have run through them (and it is a well-staffed store -- I am not complaining about the store itself). The absolute worst is nearly any weekend before a holiday, and back-to-school shopping (for the Target specifically), which starts soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary