U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 PM

13 posts, read 31,266 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Does anyone know of nice coffee houses in Cary or the surrounding area?
We are used to coffee houses like in Europe - With nice romantic atmosphere, quite music, good coffees, bakery and patisserie.
And it also needs to be open late on the weekend, at least 11-12 PM.
I am looking for months but couldn't find.
Your help is appreciated; I might even buy you a cup of coffee .
Thanks…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:05 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,836,826 times
A friend recommended Caffe Driade Although it's not in Cary.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,819,942 times
Cary pretty much rolls up the sidewalks by 10 pm!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM

551 posts, read 2,066,045 times
What about the "It's a Grind" coffee shop at Stone Creek Village (High House/Davis)? I was by there the other night and it was open fairly late. I've only been in once, so I can't vouch for the atmosphere.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:47 PM

MAtoNC – I probably will check Driad one day, but it is a bit far.. Thanks for pointing it out.
Chicky – I've been couple of times in "it’s a grind", I like it and the service is great. I have one issue with it: we went there three couples. The management told us we can combine few tables together to sit the six of us, which we did. The problem, we combined all the tables in the place. It is very small and not enough room.
We also tried Caribou on Maynard and Kildaire (open to 11PM). This one was OK from seating and space point of view. However, there is not really bakery/patisserie choice there (the atmposhpere is so-so).

Old 02-18-2008, 07:17 AM

355 posts, read 850,560 times
Just an FYI - If you give up on finding your Euro coffee house ideal (and I feel your pain here) and decide to do it yourself at home... Durham has one of the best coffee bean providers in the country: Counter Culture coffee. The Sadly, they don't have a coffee shop.

If you don't get good responses here, you can try posting on one of the online coffee forums such as coffeegeek.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Clever user name,
It is not so much about drinking the coffee. It is more about getting out with my wife (away from the kids) and 1-2 other couples just to chat for couple of hours.
I am not as crazy about restaurants as I prefer to not eat a heavy meal late at the evening.
Bars are also not my highest priority since they are usually very noisy and I prefer a coffee over a beer.
Thanks…

Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,616,387 times
My husband likes Mr. Toad's at High House and Cary Parkway, but it closes at 10PM on Friday and Saturday.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 AM

37 posts, read 64,703 times
Hi,

I would like to see that in Cary as well, but realistically there are not many options. There is this place Caribou or something on Maynard and Kildare Farm Rd. There are some chairs outside and they make decent coffee. You can also drive through. I see people sitting outside all the time which reminds me of Europe, but still cannot vouch for the atmosphere and there is not much landscaping or anything like that...they are by the main road...Check it out :-)

Kate

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM

8 posts, read 32,856 times
I share your love of European style coffeehouses. Unfortunately, I don't know of one that fits that description in Cary.

When my hubby and I leave the kids and go out on a date or with friends, we tend to go to Ciao or the Hibernian, both of which are open late. I don't know if the Hibernian serves coffee, but Ciao does.

If you make it to Glenwood South area, Helios coffeehouse is a nice place to go and there is usually music or something going on in the weekends. There is also Turkish Delights if you want Turkish coffee and desserts. Great folks there - not sure how late they are open though.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary