U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,003,684 times

Advertisements

As an avid and serious golfer, I am looking for a course to join within 30 minutes of SW Durham.

The three (and really, two) I am most considering are:

Chapel Ridge - Pittsboro
Mill Creek - Mebane
The Challenge - Graham

I am most considering the first two, having played neither though. The third was a decent enough course but 10 minutes farther for the same price-ish.

Rules are:

-Has to be challenging/long enough for a low handicap player
-Has to have a nice practice range
-Has to be affordable - 2000ish to join and 150/month or less

Preserve at Jordan Lake has come up too, but I'm not overly interested.

Anyone have thoughts on Chapel Ridge and/or Mill Creek, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,704,061 times
I'm surprised it only took you 30 mins to get to Chapel Ridge. I've played there and Preserve and like Preserve better personally. What didn't you like about it?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 AM

2,828 posts, read 8,183,504 times
I haven't played any of those, but I have at least seen the course at chapel ridge, which is quite nice! The other "nice" thing about chapel ridge, is since the course just opened recently, and there are not tons of homeowner's out there yet, it will not be as crowded as they can get!

Leigh

Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Gator - I haven't played any of the courses other than the Challenge.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for on time, though as well.

I had heard the Preserve was afflicted by too many "environmental wetlands" in the playing areas - forced lay-ups etc.

I am certainly open-minded here - seems that Mebane might be the easiest drive.

Have you played Mill Creek too?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM

446 posts, read 939,571 times
The Preserve is a tough layout with long carries off many tees and steep drop offs on the sides of many fairways. The greens are also sloped and very fast! I can feel like I hit the ball well all day and still cant break into the 80's. Don't get me wrong, It's a great layout, but it can beat you up. There are a lot of rough kicks/bounces to be had unless you hit straight shots to the heart of the fairway.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
The Preserve is a tough layout with long carries off many tees and steep drop offs on the sides of many fairways. The greens are also sloped and very fast! I can feel like I hit the ball well all day and still cant break into the 80's. Don't get me wrong, It's a great layout, but it can beat you up. There are a lot of rough kicks/bounces to be had unless you hit straight shots to the heart of the fairway.
I agree with this. I didn't find myself losing my ball any more than most other courses around here though. I didn't find Chapel Ridge much different though. CR seemed a bit more open, but I played it when it first opened.

I've only played these two. I'd venture to say Chapel Ridge is at least 10 minutes further compared to Preserve. They are close to each other, you should take a drive to see both.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM

446 posts, read 939,571 times
It seems that CR lets you get away with some less than perfect shots. The Preserve has me reaching into the bag for another ball.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM

188 posts, read 475,005 times
Have you considered Falls Village or the The Crossings in Durham? I haven't played either in several years, but both match your price range. Each are good layouts but have had some troubles over the years mostly due to finances of the clubs.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcp View Post
Have you considered Falls Village or the The Crossings in Durham? I haven't played either in several years, but both match your price range. Each are good layouts but have had some troubles over the years mostly due to finances of the clubs.
Interestingly enough, both of these are 30-40 bucks/month more expensive than Chapel Ridge or Mill Creek - maybe due to the city location. They are worth checking out, I suppose!

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 PM

I think you can join UNC without being affiliated. That is what I would join if I lived where you do.
Just played it today. It's a great course.

yearly:
Guest $3,200 plus $18 additional fee on Fri., Sat. & Sun. from 7:30 a.m. to 1:20 p.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary