Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:49 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think you're expectations of elevator apartment buildings (high rises) are leading to your frustration. That's certainly common in Philadelphia, the 5th largest city in the US with a population of 1.6million. The population of Chapel is is less than 60,000.

As far as lower cost of living - we moved here from Phoenix, AZ. Our COL has dramatically increased. NOTHING is cheaper, except gasoline.

For those that relocate from the NE, I suspect one of the major benefits of a decreased COL is in Real Estate taxes. Since you are the renter, it doesn't apply (directly). And Chapel Hill is the highest COL area in the Triangle. Maybe consider Durham?
Yup. Remember also that almost all the mid-rise buildings are firetraps with wood frames instead of inherently safe fire resistant materials.

Only a disastrous fire will change the lax building codes. A firefighter said there will be a road filled with body bags when one of these new buildings goes up in flames. The Raleigh FD does a great job but cannot overcome the lax building codes accepted to reduce costs to developers in both single family and multi-family homes.

Last edited by CapitalBlvd; 03-12-2017 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM

695 posts, read 996,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

As far as lower cost of living - we moved here from Phoenix, AZ. Our COL has dramatically increased. NOTHING is cheaper, except gasoline.

For those that relocate from the NE, I suspect one of the major benefits of a decreased COL is in Real Estate taxes. Since you are the renter, it doesn't apply (directly). And Chapel Hill is the highest COL area in the Triangle. Maybe consider Durham?
Good point about COL in triangle. I'm doing research on the triangle area for possible retirement and not seeing much difference from SE Michigan. Car costs are much higher in NC, especially the first year, and even thereafter with the vehicle property taxes. Roads are terrible in Michigan, and there isn't any vehicle tax, so maybe that's a trade-off. I haven't compared car insurance yet, but Michigan is the highest in the country, so I'd be saving something there with a move to NC. Rents are high in desirable parts of the midwest and in the triangle area of NC, though I'm sure there are more modest areas or specials as another poster mentioned. Depends on what one is willing to trade-off.

Many of the new complexes recently built are very high end, and there is a shortage of more "affordable" (not income-based), but more "middle class" rents, not $2,000 for a 2/2. Many people want to rent (vs buy) these days, and there was a shortage of options, so developers cashed in, in many states and cities around the country, especially where there are tech jobs and younger folks moving into cities. "Walkability" is desirable today, and more dense multi-family complexes (apartments and condos) can be built closer to shopping than individual homes on larger lots. Anyway, it all adds up to expensive rentals in desirable areas.

Question for jkgournet re: COL comparisons: Did you find that medical and dental costs were higher in NC vs AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary