U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM

107 posts, read 325,628 times

Advertisements

I think that part-day kindergarten (5 yr old) is more uncommon here than full day. I never realized that part-day kindergarten was even an option until I moved away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM

2,828 posts, read 8,178,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveva View Post
well, i have spent the last 5 days here in Raleigh and I am very disappointed with the schools here. Either you send your child to a school that has 9th graders in a shopping center or you decide on a school and worry about the redistricting in two years. Our son will be in the 9th grade and we don't want to change now and then two years from now. We looked at private schools and they are 17,500 a year. And that is just tuition not the donation they want and the fees. I know you nc people love it here but houses have no basements and the driveways are a joke.
Back to the original post..............The 9th grade center, yes is formally a grocery store, but it is temporary so that the 9th graders have enough space. I have a neighbor who attends there and she really likes it! She went from wakefield middle to the ninth grade center. She says that the 9th graders are able to get to know each other and it is nice having "their own space", she is a very good student, and an athlete, and she is happy there.

If you are not happy with the public choices and feel that the private choices are too expensive, then you should look into the charter schools and the magnet programs. There are definitely more options out there than public and private, so it may be worth doing some research.

Basements and driveways, well, I don't really know how to answer that one. Traditionally this area has a high moisture content in their soil, so the basements that work are daylight basements, which means your lot is sloped. We tend to use attics instead of basements, that's our thing, I guess. It is all about compromise, and every place is different. Driveways, um, I guess I haven't noticed them enough to know if they are a joke or not. Our works for us, so I have no worries.

Leigh

Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
9/9

384 posts, read 193,803 times
Quote:
well, i have spent the last 5 days here in Raleigh and I am very disappointed with the schools here. Either you send your child to a school that has 9th graders in a shopping center or you decide on a school and worry about the redistricting in two years. Our son will be in the 9th grade and we don't want to change now and then two years from now. We looked at private schools and they are 17,500 a year. And that is just tuition not the donation they want and the fees. I know you nc people love it here but houses have no basements and the driveways are a joke.
If you don't like it here, choose a different place to live. We live in a very large country, find part of it that makes you happy.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:25 PM

8,652 posts, read 15,937,978 times
Well said.

There are many choices in our great land. We've lived in many states including CA, NY, NJ, KS, MO. LA, and NC.

Raleigh schools were great for our kids.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:46 PM

492 posts, read 1,172,052 times
Quote:
We looked at private schools and they are 17,500 a year. And that is just tuition not the donation they want and the fees. I
This is not accurate. I looked at 10 different Christian schools in the Raleigh metro area, all of which had a K-12 program and ranged in size from 250 to over 1300. The tuitions ranged from under $5K to just under $10K, with plenty of good choices in the $5-6K range. The school my kids will be attending next year has tuition about about $7500, which is comparible to the tuition I'm paying in NY. The only way you will pay $17,500 is if you attend one of the "elite" private schools that frankly set tuition high as part of the "status" of going there.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM

3,155 posts, read 7,033,954 times
Quote:
The only school in a shopping center in the area that I know of is a charter school. And while on the outside it's an odd arrangement, something on the inside must be working right since the school I'm thinking of has the 6th highest SAT scores in the state.

And from what I've seen it's not just "you nc people" who love it here. I've met quite a few Va people who love it here as well as people from all over the world that love it here. BUT that does not mean it's for you. It's good that you checked it out before you moved. If it's not the right fit for your family you can move on and figure out another plan for your family.

Every Saturday morning when I'd like to sleep past 7 am I miss my old basement where my kids would watch Sat morning tv and play. BUT I don't miss worrying if this was going to be the rain storm that caused our basement to leak. But soon enough they will be teenagers and I won't want them hanging out in the basement where mom can't as easily casually check on them and their friends.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,317,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There is one 9th grade center in Wake Forest I think that is using a former retail space temporarily. But that is the ONLY one I know of. The houses I grew up in here had basements but I do not think that most new construction homes have basements anymore.
I'm pretty sure Wake County has leased the former Winn-Dixie space for at least 10 years, so they will be using it in some type of capacity for years to come.

Wakefield HS is like the biggest high school in Wake County, I believe next year they are projected at 3,000 + students.

9th grade centers are a way of life around here.. most people are happy with them. It isn't such a bad idea to "ice" freshman from upperclassman..

but then.. I'm too busy thinking about my driveway..... oh... tears tears I don't have a basement either..... WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA...

Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 PM

2,183 posts, read 4,682,214 times
I'm from Northern VA and I love it here. Sure I don't have a basement anymore, but I could have got a house with one if it was really that big a deal for me. My driveway is a little slim for a 2-car garage, but it's better than parking in a "space" at my old townhouse in VA. It seems like this might not be the place for you. If you think it was just going to be a cheaper version of NoVA then you are mistaken...although I actually do think it's a cheaper version of NoVA...lol...but with a lot more southern influence.

Bottom line is that I love it here and plan on staying here for the long haul.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 14,754,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I'm pretty sure Wake County has leased the former Winn-Dixie space for at least 10 years, so they will be using it in some type of capacity for years to come.

Wakefield HS is like the biggest high school in Wake County, I believe next year they are projected at 3,000 + students.

9th grade centers are a way of life around here.. most people are happy with them. It isn't such a bad idea to "ice" freshman from upperclassman..

but then.. I'm too busy thinking about my driveway..... oh... tears tears I don't have a basement either..... WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA...

I went to a 6th grade center in ...1982 and a 9th grade center in 1985. It's a common occurrence here, dating way back. I actually like the idea of 6 grade and 9th grade centers to keep the kids focused while they adjust to a new academic setting and curriculum. They certainly did me no harm.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,345,629 times
Is there a job offer you are considering or are you looking to relocate first? If you're not stuck on Raleigh, I'd suggest widening your search. Check out Chapel Hill which has excellent schools and does not redistrict all the time, nor does it have the centers. Driveways...well, older homes have different driveways from newer ones so maybe you need to change the age of the homes you're looking at. At least in Chapel Hill, you can find basements, but mainly they are in the newer houses, so depends if you like that kind of house.

As for private schools, I do agree with you on private schools. I guess if you want a religious education there are a number of options, but as someone who does not want a religious education for my children, I agree that prices are high! Durham Academy is about $12,000-$15,000. There's also Duke School, and those are the only 2 in the Chapel Hill area I'd consider...not super cheap. That said, the private schools in Baltimore are closer to $25,000 for the ones I'd consider....they are actually quite a bit less expensive than similar quality schools in other parts of the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary