Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:25 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Advertisements

Yeah although snakes are scary...I'd prefer seeing one of those as opposed to a mouse!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
BTW, only 2 people have died from snakebite in NC since 1970. Copperheads are the least toxic of all venomous snakes in America.

[/font]
According to a doctor friend of ours it is not uncommon for copperheads to bite a person's hand while gardening... especially in the fall. The copperheads blend in w/ the leaves. He has seen some folks loose a finger over copperhead bites. So while only 2 people may have died cooperheads can still harm you in other ways. Just be aware when you are gardening... I always make lots of noise w/ my rake before I reach into an area. Oh, and the doc friend said to wear good gardening gloves.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I hope the kid is okay. As far as I'm concerned snakes can balance our ecosystem in someone else's yard. I have a huge phobia of snakes. I wish there was a magic anti snake dust I could spread in our yard. Not looking forward to them coming out early this year.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 PM

606 posts, read 1,977,760 times
Excellent advice, PDXmom! My friend Anita was bitten in her garden 2 years ago and had quite a go of it in the hospital. They certainly will make you sick! I have been fortunate that all my bites were non-venomous, mostly wild black snakes, one escaped European Water Snake (a six footer, I bled for the longest time. Caught him though!), and a captive and very hungry Red Boa! I was careless that time! I am VERY careful around shrubbery, especially at Wal-Mart and other garden outlets. The last pygmy rattlesnake bite I heard of was last year at a Wal-Mart here in NC!

I have worked at zoos, pet shops, and at exotic pet dealers as well as with vets and rescue, so I have lots of experience. Through all that experience I learned that snakes are not to be feared, but respected. It seems that the psychological basis for snake phobias is the Biblical account of creation, and the interpretation of the snake as the serpent/devil. Actually, I believe Satan did appear as a snake, but that doesn't make the snake itself evil. He may have appeared to Eve in the guise of a dog, then where would we be, lol! Ah well, old fears die hard. And that's ok, we're all afraid of something. :-)

Blessings, Y'all!
Pastor Tracey

Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
snakes have their place in this world.

but not in my yard!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I hope the kid is okay. As far as I'm concerned snakes can balance our ecosystem in someone else's yard. I have a huge phobia of snakes. I wish there was a magic anti snake dust I could spread in our yard. Not looking forward to them coming out early this year.
I agree, besides I'll handle my backyard ecosystem and kill snakes and mice with equal enthusiasm.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM

502 posts, read 1,739,791 times
I forgot about the snakes, and we are going to be backed up to woods... so I'm sure we'll run into them. We've been in NY for 20 years and I think I've seen one snake in my yard during that time. Hmmm... better not tell my wife about this or the move will be off!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 AM

132 posts, read 445,755 times
Hmm are snakes really very common in the backyards of homes. Guess there is no way to avoid them by looking for some signs around the neighbourhood ?

Almost all the houses here seem to back up to woods or some kind of tree cover.

We are still looking for a house having moved in recently - any info in this regard is really appreciated

Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM

171 posts, read 451,888 times
I used to have a real phobia when it came to snakes. My neighbors always knew when I came across one because I would scream like a little girl. I have four Garter snakes living in my backyard. To get over my phobia I named the snakes. The two living in the stone wall along my patio were named Harold and Maude, the one in the stone steps outside my office was named Uncle Al and the one down in the stones by the fish pond was named Obi Wan. Two summers ago I mowed over Maude and felt real bad for Harold (and Maude too of course). But early last summer I found him shacked up in the stone wall with a new one. Her name is Heather (Mills).

I still jump when I unexpectedly come across a snake, but I don't scream any more. I often sit on the patio (except in winter) with Harold and Heather sunning themselves on the stone wall 5 feet away from me. I'm actually going to miss my snakes when I move, but I don't necessarily hope to find new ones at my new home in NC.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedB View Post
ITwo summers ago I mowed over Maude and felt real bad for Harold (and Maude too of course). But early last summer I found him shacked up in the stone wall with a new one. Her name is Heather (Mills).
OMG....you so get rep points for that. that has to be one of the funniest things I read all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'i mowed over maude....'

ohhhh thanks for the giggles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary