Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:33 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Also, what App y'all use for biking ? I got lost few times drifting into other Cary greenways. I think i need to buy a phone holder for my bike...the app should constantly update but display only when we touch the screen...
I've gotten to the point where I know most greenways in Wake, Durham and Chatham County, so I don't need an app often, but like recommended above, I find the best option is to use Google Maps with the "bicycle layer" turned on. For me, I run my phone in Airplane mode for longer rides, so the battery does not die on me, you can download the local map in advance, or just come out of airplane mode as needed to save battery.

I have found R-Greenway to be a great idea, but not very effective.

Also, the best thing I have ever done, is to explore. Once I know a greenway, I'll start to take the little side-exits to see where they go. On some days, I have somewhere to be, but often I'm just out for a ride, so even if I get lost a little bit, I'm meeting my goal of riding, and I just adjust. If I get really confused, I refer to the map. (for instance, Black Creek has exits that land you up around Weston, up on Cary Pkwy, up in N. Cary Park, and up near Norwell, all in the first two miles south of Crabtree Park).

The other thing I love to do is to just follow the "bike path" signs. (These are the ones that are in the neighborhoods, like Park Central, Tarbert, Three Lakes, etc...)

And finally, if you don't have one of the big Capital Area Greenway Maps, get one. I don't even take it with me, but when I was first learning my way around, I scoped it frequently for ideas.

I've found so many interesting short-cuts and cool things to look at by doing this. Really helps me to appreciate the area I live in and love even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 09:01 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Also, what App y'all use for biking ? I got lost few times drifting into other Cary greenways. I think i need to buy a phone holder for my bike...the app should constantly update but display only when we touch the screen...
I use a combination of Strava, RGreenway, and Google. Sometimes TrailLink depending on my mood, but I've found TrailLink isn't always up to date so have been using it less and less.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
I used cary bike and hike app, it was good but hung several times, I figured that once you choose a greenway, need to wait for few seconds for the map to load before pressing "view on the map". It does not work like a car gps map, but good enough to know where you are

Old 07-20-2016, 08:13 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
Pyle Pedal Power Bike USB Charger Energy Generator Dynamo - Walmart.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary