Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:26 AM

75 posts, read 98,506 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Of course, I'm aware of the State Farmer's Market and the downtown market but I'm looking for those smaller stands that cater to the neighborhoods in Raleigh - presuming they exist.

I live in the Brier Creek area and am in search of fresh corn and tomatoes (my NJ roots drives that need) and anything else that North Carolina is particularly good at growing this time of year.

Thanks much,
LAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM

307 posts, read 374,695 times
The South Durham farmer's market or downtown Durham farmer's market might a bit closer to you than either of the two that you listed. There is also Perkin's Orchard in South Durham. I'm not aware of any small stand type places directly in Brier Creek.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,546,962 times
Check out The Produce Box, they'll deliver the local farmer's market to your door each week. We are customers and love it.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,562,832 times
There is a western wake farmer's market. Not sure exactly where it is but it happens on Saturdays.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 AM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar196 View Post
Hi,

Of course, I'm aware of the State Farmer's Market and the downtown market but I'm looking for those smaller stands that cater to the neighborhoods in Raleigh - presuming they exist.

I live in the Brier Creek area and am in search of fresh corn and tomatoes (my NJ roots drives that need) and anything else that North Carolina is particularly good at growing this time of year.

Thanks much,
LAR
I've been in Brier Creek for 4 years now (!) And I think I know what you're looking for, and they really don't exist here. The only thing I've found that's similar is the place in the parking lot at Taylor's Wine Shop and (my beloved) Bayleaf Veterinary on Six Forks Road.

I know neighbors who go weekly to the one in Morrisville, but their goal is to getorganic stuff.

We're not enamoured with ANY of the farmer's markets. We don't care about organic or local so much. (Sorry) Our criteria is price and flavor, and generally, the farmer's markets fail the price test and haven't delivered much extra on flavor. (The watermelon I bought at Costco for $3.99 was vastly superior to the one somebody gave me from the State Farmer's market.)

Personally, I'm really anxious for Sprouts to open.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-20-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 08:50 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,213,241 times
We do farmer's markets around this area, but you could look for produce stands. I've seen them called that occasionally. NC has an excellent farm to table scene. I'd check out the Western Wake Farmer's Market and I think you'll find what you need.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think I know what you're looking for, and they really don't exist here. The only thing I've found that's similar is the place in the parking lot at Taylor's Wine Shop and (my beloved) Bayleaf Veterinary on Six Forks Road.

Personally, I'm really anxious for Sprouts to open.
I don't know about Brier Creek area, but they are all over the place near Cary and Apex.

for brier creek, I'd drive a bit in the country, between your area and Durham. I know they exist, just have to find out where. Look for the areas that are right on the edge of the sprawl. Surely there is a farm there that is holding out from selling their land, and they are growing and selling stuff to their new neighbors. (It seems that is the model for Apex and Cary anyway)

Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,779,933 times
The Crazy Lady produce stand is in the gas station parking lot at 540 and Six Forks. She's usually got a lot of produce to choose from and has (had?) a frequent buyer card. Her prices are pretty reasonable, too.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,415,598 times
Try a CSA like Papa Spud's. They deliver out to Brier Creek!

Last edited by garnetpalmetto; 07-20-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 03:00 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Try a CSA like Papa Spud's. They deliver out to Brier Creek!
Yeah, I know that. But I don't want all the stuff they want to give me. Some vegies (particularly squash) we just don't like. And the prices aren't too appealing, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary