Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 PM

40 posts, read 105,351 times

Advertisements

Has anyone brought carpet or flooring from Home depot/ Lowes? They promote free installation with purchase. Is it really a good deal or they have hidden fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 07:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,199,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri902 View Post
Has anyone brought carpet or flooring from Home depot/ Lowes? They promote free installation with purchase. Is it really a good deal or they have hidden fees?
We've used Lowes three times now. Once for a basement, and they did all the carpet in our new house (two separate purchases).

You can save a lot of money if you buy one of the in-stock carpets that are on the big rolls in the back of the store. Some are low end and some are decent carpets. A lot of people will not even consider it just because it's in a big roll in the back - that doesn't mean it's bad carpet.

The installers can be hit or miss. They subcontract out to local companies. We've had no issues (yet), but the Lowes employees in the store did not seem overly happy with their contractor. There are also a ton of horror stories online. Our past two installs they showed up an hour outside the window the 2 hour window they gave us, which was really annoying.

The install is "free", but it's basic install. Anything else including stairs, furniture moving, etc, will be an extra charge. So it's not really free unless it's a completely basic install. You usually have to buy a premium pad to get the free install, so that's another cost.

Until very recently Lowes was selling carpet/installs without sales tax via some sort of loophole, which saved a lot of money. This has since changed unfortunately.

I wouldn't recommend them only because I've heard so many horror stories. But you can definitely save some money if you aren't expecting white glove 100% perfect service.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,320,957 times
The current deal is free install including removal, basic furniture moving and stairs. Yes it is a good deal. I used HD for carpet many years ago had a good experience. I had received a quote for carpeting now from Brentwood Carpet, with the free install that HD is running I am saving about $1500.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,199,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
The current deal is free install including removal, basic furniture moving and stairs. Yes it is a good deal. I used HD for carpet many years ago had a good experience. I had received a quote for carpeting now from Brentwood Carpet, with the free install that HD is running I am saving about $1500.
I've never seen that. If so that's a great deal.

It's not showing up on the websites:

Shop Flooring at Lowes.com

Installation Offers

Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 PM

650 posts, read 923,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri902 View Post
Please clarify. Are you going to do carpets or hardwoods?

It's all a shell game to give you "free"install on high priced flooring. It's a game, all of it!

Old 07-24-2016, 05:58 AM

663 posts, read 1,611,402 times
How about Pro Source in Raleigh? (wholesale lot of choices). There are many installers with references.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:57 AM

1,997 posts, read 3,564,002 times
We got about 3000 sq ft of carpet from Lowes a few years back. No issues, We didn't get free installation, but the carpet pad was part of the installation price. They probably have so many places to play with price in deals like that it always works out, free install pad is extra, etc etc.

Anyhow they did a good job, 1 appt for a guy to come measure and check out the house. Few days later they scheduled an install date.

in the end you need to pay X amount so I view free install as just a sales vehicle.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:05 PM

5,729 posts, read 17,534,810 times
We just had Home Depot replace our carpeting in 5 upstairs rooms. They did the job in record time. My only complaint is that they were so polite when I asked them to be careful with specific items, gave me the "Oh yes sir. We always take extra precautions to ensure that we do not damage anything!", and then as soon as you turn your back, they do whatever they want. One guy was bilingual, the other 2 did not speak a lick of English.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:16 PM

819 posts, read 1,453,538 times
Thank you for asking this question - in the same boat, need to replace the carpet but don't know where to start! Will definitely have to have them move furniture, and also have stairs....things I wouldn't have thought about in the, 'deal'. I've had a bad experience (and a 'no sale, then') with Home Depot adding in last-minute charges, so I'm leaning towards Lowes.
Are regional/local companies markedly more expensive?

Old 07-24-2016, 01:47 PM

650 posts, read 923,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
Thank you for asking this question - in the same boat, need to replace the carpet but don't know where to start! Will definitely have to have them move furniture, and also have stairs....things I wouldn't have thought about in the, 'deal'. I've had a bad experience (and a 'no sale, then') with Home Depot adding in last-minute charges, so I'm leaning towards Lowes.
Are regional/local companies markedly more expensive?
Ok, here goes: we were in the market to get engineered wood floors put in the upstairs of a 2,500 sq. house last fall. We looked at the over stock placing in Wendell, and then got quotes from Lowes and Home Depot. I really did not like the Pergo type products. They warp and curl.Then we got a sales man from 50-floor to visit. They have a much superior product called Quick step. They put down a foam one piece pad and installed a floating floor system.

The sales visit was a pain. They came in MUCH higher than HD and Lowes. A high pressure job wanting to get a husband/wife signature by the time the sun went down. What he didn't know is that I sell copiers so I am already seen as a crook I got him way down from his original quote so in a few days we had a deal.

The floors are OUTSTANDING. The install happened in ONE day AND they moved the furniture. I would do it again. They were not the cheapest but We wanted the best product for the best price.

HTH's

Super42
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary