Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 AM

13 posts, read 13,298 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from the West Coast, and we really like it here. Beautiful, green, slower paced, lower cost of living, nice people, etc. However, the bugs.... I don't mind bugs when they are outside, but when they come inside, it is another story. I'm wondering if what we are experiencing is normal. I don't think it is....

We moved to a townhouse apartment backing on woods, which may have been our first mistake. The first night here, we found 2-3 cockroaches upstairs (all windows and door closed). These were pretty big, so I don't think they were German Cockroaches. A few evenings later we found a big one (~1.5 inches long) in the hallway, one slightly smaller one on our bedroom wall, and two on the carpet in the upstairs bedroom. I told management, and they are going to have pest control come tomorrow.

Last night, we found a big 1.5-2 inch one in our upstairs hallway, another big one in the bathroom, a smaller one in another bathroom, and this morning, the cat was playing with a smaller one (~1 inch long) in our bedroom. Ugh.

I know these big ones generally find their way in from outside, and they ARE running all over outside. These apartments have a lot of crevices and openings where I imagine they are making their way in. We would like to buy a house in a few months, and I just want to get an idea if seeing this many cockroaches inside is normal. From my reading, I don't think it is. I think it is normal to occasionally see one, but not several 1-2 times a week.

Thoughts, kind people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:39 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Yeah, seems like there are an excessive number where you are. It's normal to see one here or there but not handfuls a week. I'd call a pest control company to spray personally, maybe your landlord would be willing to do this.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 AM

454 posts, read 495,574 times
Not normal. I've never seen one in my house the entire time I've lived here.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavesAreYellow View Post
Just moved here from the West Coast, and we really like it here. Beautiful, green, slower paced, lower cost of living, nice people, etc. However, the bugs.... I don't mind bugs when they are outside, but when they come inside, it is another story. I'm wondering if what we are experiencing is normal. I don't think it is....

We moved to a townhouse apartment backing on woods, which may have been our first mistake. The first night here, we found 2-3 cockroaches upstairs (all windows and door closed). These were pretty big, so I don't think they were German Cockroaches. A few evenings later we found a big one (~1.5 inches long) in the hallway, one slightly smaller one on our bedroom wall, and two on the carpet in the upstairs bedroom. I told management, and they are going to have pest control come tomorrow.

Last night, we found a big 1.5-2 inch one in our upstairs hallway, another big one in the bathroom, a smaller one in another bathroom, and this morning, the cat was playing with a smaller one (~1 inch long) in our bedroom. Ugh.

I know these big ones generally find their way in from outside, and they ARE running all over outside. These apartments have a lot of crevices and openings where I imagine they are making their way in. We would like to buy a house in a few months, and I just want to get an idea if seeing this many cockroaches inside is normal. From my reading, I don't think it is. I think it is normal to occasionally see one, but not several 1-2 times a week.

Thoughts, kind people?
Palmetto bugs (big cockroaches, basically... that can fly) really love to try to get indoors on hot summer evenings. That you live so close to woods is a factor. If you lived close to water, too, that would be another factor. Do you ever open the windows?

I think the pest control is a good plan, but sometimes, they just try to get inside in some areas. These are not the type that'll lay a bunch of eggs and multiply in your home, though.

Still, they're icky, so I empathize.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I figured it wasn't normal. Pest control is coming tomorrow, and I hope that eliminates some of the problem. There are also unsealed areas behind the toilets and showers (the plates that cover the area where the pipes come in to the apartment are loose and not caulked). I doubt openings behind washer/dryer, fridge, stove, dishwasher, etc, are sealed. This whole thing might just speed up our plans to buy. And, I think I understand why so many houses have cleared grass around their property.

Oh, and to answer if we had any doors/windows open. No, we haven't. We rush in when we open the front door so we don't let in the critters. And, most of the roaches we've seen inside have been upstairs....

Do you think if we see the same approximate number after the unit is treated once or twice by pest control, that it would be just cause to break the lease? As in, not having to pay the lease-breaking penalty?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I figured it wasn't normal. Pest control is coming tomorrow, and I hope that eliminates some of the problem. There are also unsealed areas behind the toilets and showers (the plates that cover the area where the pipes come in to the apartment are loose and not caulked). I doubt openings behind washer/dryer, fridge, stove, dishwasher, etc, are sealed. This whole thing might just speed up our plans to buy. And, I think I understand why so many houses have cleared grass around their property.

Oh, and to answer if we had any doors/windows open. No, we haven't. We rush in when we open the front door so we don't let in the critters. And, most of the roaches we've seen inside have been upstairs....

Do you think if we see the same approximate number after the unit is treated once or twice by pest control, that it would be just cause to break the lease? As in, not having to pay the lease-breaking penalty?
Pest control should help.

I would not assume you need to break your lease right away.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:26 AM

Thanks RedZin. I was panicky when I saw the first batch of 4-5 last week, then I settled down and thought it was a one off. When I saw the second "batch" last night, I got panicky again. And, my husband accidentally brought one in with the trash can. It went under the fridge, which we moved and tried to hit it with a shoe. It darted away under the dishwasher. I'm hoping the one the cat was playing with this morning was magically the same one.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks RedZin. I was panicky when I saw the first batch of 4-5 last week, then I settled down and thought it was a one off. When I saw the second "batch" last night, I got panicky again. And, my husband accidentally brought one in with the trash can. It went under the fridge, which we moved and tried to hit it with a shoe. It darted away under the dishwasher. I'm hoping the one the cat was playing with this morning was magically the same one.
It may have been. See how it goes after the exterminator comes out.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:14 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I would say that is excessive, we usually find 1-2 per month. I'd definitely contact a pest services company for quarterly service. Even with pest control, we still see 1 or two but if they start increasing in numbers we can call them in between services and they will spray for no charge.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. When we look at houses, any advice for what to look for to avoid this much of a problem in the future. Wooded vs. non wooded lots, age of house, etc.? When living in our own house, I'd like to limit use of pest control if possible. I understand it will likely be necessary periodically....

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary