U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 2,541 times

Advertisements

We are from New Mexico and considering this Kinesiotherapy program at Shaw University for our daughter.
Looking for information from the locals about the program and the weather in the area.
Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 AM

10,878 posts, read 16,353,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Gutierrez View Post
We are from New Mexico and considering this Kinesiotherapy program at Shaw University for our daughter. Looking for information from the locals about the program and the weather in the area.
I searched Shaw's web site, and the Physical Therapy department has 11 faculty members, but only one teaches Kinesiotherapy. Is this a program your daughter cannot find in a New Mexico state school? It sounds like a good career choice, regardless of where she gets her education.

Shaw is known regionally as a historically black university. It does not have a national reputation, so I am wonder how it came to your daughter's attention.

The weather will be far different from New Mexico, primarily from the year-round humidity. The winters are not bad with a few inches of snow, and the summers typically get to the nineties.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:03 PM

802 posts, read 366,175 times
A little closer to home and a with great kinesiology program you might want to check out Texas Women's University. It is located in Denton just north of Dallas and the name is a misnomer - they do admit male students.

Last edited by JaPaKoMom; 07-31-2016 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Sorry, I didn't mention Shaw University - I just do not know much about it.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I searched Shaw's web site, and the Physical Therapy department has 11 faculty members, but only one teaches Kinesiotherapy. Is this a program your daughter cannot find in a New Mexico state school? It sounds like a good career choice, regardless of where she gets her education.

Shaw is known regionally as a historically black university. It does not have a national reputation, so I am wonder how it came to your daughter's attention.

The weather will be far different from New Mexico, primarily from the year-round humidity. The winters are not bad with a few inches of snow, and the summers typically get to the nineties.

Yes, this program is unique to only 3 universities in the country. Our daughter is an athlete and is considering the program and area.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 AM

508 posts, read 499,602 times
What does your daughter want to do exactly? That may help us better to direct her and your program needs.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:15 AM

3,922 posts, read 1,669,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
What does your daughter want to do exactly? That may help us better to direct her and your program needs.
I don't think the OP is looking for direction on program needs. She's asking about that particular program at Shaw and the surrounding area.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM

508 posts, read 499,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think the OP is looking for direction on program needs. She's asking about that particular program at Shaw and the surrounding area.
Completely understood. I am asking because I am in that field currently, wanted to point her to a few other programs that may fulfill some of what she seems to be interested in.

@OP, not sure if this helps either, but getting super involved in Campus Recreation (UREC at some schools), and a GRAD PROGRAM may be more helpful if she is trying to get into Rec, a DPT program, or Health Promotions. PM me if you have any questions!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:29 PM

Hi Thank You for responding. I'm from Las Cruces, New Mexico. My high school daughter is considering Shaw University on an athletic scholarship and they have the Kinesiotherapy program. My daughter wants to do PT. I'm interested in this program but need to find out more information. You said you were in the field of Kinesiotherapy? How exciting.

A. Gutierrez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: