Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It has never occurred to me to go out for one of those. I mean they take seconds to make at home. Interesting!
Not the same. I've never had one, but it's on my (long) list of things to try. A fried Bologna Sammich is usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, you'd have to go to your deli and have it custom cut, and really gets the right kind of crispy on a commercial flat-top.

I believe the gold-standard of FBS (Fried Bologna Sammich) is found at southern (specifically VA) race-tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHY6YUz63Uc

I was just somewhere that had them on the menu, and I can't recall where. I'd imagine Merritts does it right though.

Edit: Might try Orange County Speedway: http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/bol...nt?oid=3645046
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:46 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
It has never occurred to me to go out for one of those. I mean they take seconds to make at home. Interesting!
The trick is sourcing good bologna and getting it sliced in slabs. The lunch meat stuff at the grocery store is garbage. A lot of the places that serve fried bologna sandwiches make their own bologna.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
One could say the same about many foods...hot dogs, ice cream, grilled cheese, etc., etc.
No... this one in particular is a bit different. Fried bologna sandwiches conjure up (to me) summer days or after school times when I was hungry and there was really nothing else in the house to eat.

I mean, they're tasty, but I cannot imagine I'd go searching for someone else to fix me one.

I don't think that about hot dogs. You'd need to open a pack of them (I prefer using a whole pack for a family meal if we grill out) and you need to make chili, fixings, etc.

Ice cream? That takes a good deal of time to prepare. Grilled cheese, yeah... same as a bologna sandwich and I do order those from Panera and similar places, but usually to go with the soup or some such.

I dunno. I do get ordering sandwiches, even a fried bologna one, from restaurants. I don't get the part where one actively SEEKS a good one, because they are so incredibly fast and easy to make.

That was all. It just never would have occurred to me to scout out such a thing.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
The trick is sourcing good bologna and getting it sliced in slabs. The lunch meat stuff at the grocery store is garbage. A lot of the places that serve fried bologna sandwiches make their own bologna.
I did not realize the heights to which people had gone to make this into a gourmet experience. Fascinating!

I'd think a specialty grocer would have a decent bologna that could be cut thick to do this at home (if you have the right griddle, which we do).

My interest is piqued.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not the same. I've never had one, but it's on my (long) list of things to try. A fried Bologna Sammich is usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, you'd have to go to your deli and have it custom cut, and really gets the right kind of crispy on a commercial flat-top.

I believe the gold-standard of FBS (Fried Bologna Sammich) is found at southern (specifically VA) race-tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHY6YUz63Uc

I was just somewhere that had them on the menu, and I can't recall where. I'd imagine Merritts does it right though.

Edit: Might try Orange County Speedway: Bologna burgers hit the blacktop at Orange County and South Boston speedways | Food Feature | Indy Week
Ahh... I have that crispy thing covered. My husband is really into griddles.

I am going to research this. The things you learn on CD!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:12 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
No... this one in particular is a bit different. Fried bologna sandwiches conjure up (to me) summer days or after school times when I was hungry and there was really nothing else in the house to eat.

I mean, they're tasty, but I cannot imagine I'd go searching for someone else to fix me one.

I don't think that about hot dogs. You'd need to open a pack of them (I prefer using a whole pack for a family meal if we grill out) and you need to make chili, fixings, etc.

Ice cream? That takes a good deal of time to prepare. Grilled cheese, yeah... same as a bologna sandwich and I do order those from Panera and similar places, but usually to go with the soup or some such.

I dunno. I do get ordering sandwiches, even a fried bologna one, from restaurants. I don't get the part where one actively SEEKS a good one, because they are so incredibly fast and easy to make.

That was all. It just never would have occurred to me to scout out such a thing.
Huh? You have to open the pack of bologna too. And you don't "have" to make fixings. There's no real difference. And I'm not talking about making homemade ice cream, I'm talking about opening the freezer and scooping it out of the container.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
I did not realize the heights to which people had gone to make this into a gourmet experience. Fascinating!

I'd think a specialty grocer would have a decent bologna that could be cut thick to do this at home (if you have the right griddle, which we do).

My interest is piqued.
It's the next big thing!

David Chang's Kitchen: Your Idea of Bologna is Total Baloney | GQ

Old 08-05-2016, 10:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Redneck Steak and Cheese Sandwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8V03vokWLs

Old 08-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Huh? You have to open the pack of bologna too. And you don't "have" to make fixings. There's no real difference. And I'm not talking about making homemade ice cream, I'm talking about opening the freezer and scooping it out of the container.
I was only talking about my mental image. That's not really a debateable topic. Others here have clued me in on the trend and it makes more sense, as my image of what the OP was trying to find has shifted.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Redneck Steak and Cheese Sandwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8V03vokWLs

Oy! The grease! Hehehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary