Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM

22,617 posts, read 36,530,898 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who took her name off the sub list at Salem Middle because she couldn't deal with how disrespectful the kids were (she's a certified teacher). I guess it all depends on what kind of influence you're after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 03:07 PM

36 posts, read 34,334 times
I worry a bit about the academic pressure I hear about at some of the schools. Of course I want high standards, but I want good, caring teachers who really "get" the kids and adjust their strategies accordingly (if that even still happens). I want a school where there are diverse, good, well-rounded kids (and parents) who aren't overly obsessed with being the best at everything. Granted, all of the places I've ever lived has one school assignment based on your address and that's it. No choice. So, you get what you get. You just hope for the best. But having said that, if there is a "reputation" about certain elementary schools one way or the other there, I'd LOVE to hear about it. BTW, I have a 1st and 2nd grader this year.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:29 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,658,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I have a friend who took her name off the sub list at Salem Middle because she couldn't deal with how disrespectful the kids were (she's a certified teacher). I guess it all depends on what kind of influence you're after.
Wow. I've never heard anything along that line. She must be super sensitive. We're impressed with Salem.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:46 PM

1,360 posts, read 997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Wow. I've never heard anything along that line. She must be super sensitive. We're impressed with Salem.

Ditto. The Salem teachers have bent over backwards for us and the students seem to be more "normal" from my experience. Of course you get typical middle school attitude and angst, but its seems about right for their age. At this point, I wouldn't even consider Davis for our two younger children. I think it's just as good a school as Salem, but extremely overrated.

I'm curious with Apex High closed for renovation and the new Green Level and Apex Friendship High Schools coming online, if the base high school for Park Village may change as the other base areas shift. Anyone think so?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 PM

Hmmm... have you heard any reports/opinions from your neighbors about Davis who's elementary kids go there? I guess everyone has their idea of what they like, but I'd hate to regret sending my kids there.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM

580 posts, read 708,645 times
Everyone is going to have an opinion on why their school is the best and another one is the worst.
I have learned this through the years- to realize that an experience one might have, might be totally different than someone else. I try to keep an open mind until I can experience it myself.
All kids and parents are different and have different friends with different ideas.
Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Everyone is going to have an opinion on why their school is the best and another one is the worst.
I have learned this through the years- to realize that an experience one might have, might be totally different than someone else. I try to keep an open mind until I can experience it myself.
All kids and parents are different and have different friends with different ideas.
Good Luck!
Very true. I guess I've got to just jump in somewhere I think we'll like and see what happens. I could talk to 20 people and get 20 different answers, I'm sure.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:43 PM

71 posts, read 98,948 times
What do you want to know? I've been in this area for 20 years. Lived in both macarthur park and now Charleston village.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:21 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,321,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Good Luck!
I think this is the most diplomatic way to respond to some of the prior posts in here. I will also say that you can be at the best school but if you have the worst teacher, you are going to have a bad year.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I think this is the most diplomatic way to respond to some of the prior posts in here. I will also say that you can be at the best school but if you have the worst teacher, you are going to have a bad year.

I totally agree. I have also heard from some Mills Park parents that it's hit or miss with teachers, and one kid can have an amazing year and another kid a terrible one. I think this rings true with all schools everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary