U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2008, 02:41 PM

659 posts, read 154,293 times
So how much does your water bill average?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,740,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
So, for a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens what would that cost if you're living in Wake Forest? Would they let you put a well in even if city water is available?
I think it all depends on where you are living in wake forest, if you are in the city limits, then you are paying for water from the city of raleigh (wake forest buys their water from raleigh) so you have an "extra" charge for that, and then the water is just more expensive in the city. For a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young children) most of my friends are around 80 bucks a month.

We are not in the city, although we still have a wake forest address, and we have a community well in our neighborhood and we pay, an average of 25 dollars a month.

I don't know about putting in a well in a location that has city water, maybe calling the town of wake forest.

Leigh

Old 02-21-2008, 03:14 PM

8,409 posts, read 13,452,051 times
It's amazing how the cost can vary so much by where you live. Does that $80include the sewer also? (I hope)

Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM

526 posts, read 1,205,579 times
We're using 62 gpd for two people with a 1957 toilet and a top-loader washer (40 gallons per load). The significant other insists on taking 12 minute showers--a habit I have whined about for YEARS, fat lotta good it does me. BUT, we got one of the low-flow showerheads from the Durham water department which only uses 1.5 gpm. HA! I outsmarted him!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 AM

473 posts, read 1,157,447 times
we have a family of 5 - we used 104 gallons daily average the past billing cycle and it was $26 and change. We are in a community well set up.

there is me.. my husband and my 3 kids 2, 4, and 5. I dont know if this is a good thing or not but I think its ok.

Linda

Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 AM

10,183 posts, read 16,495,536 times
Our water bill is to the City Of Raleigh. Its $80 EVERY TWO MONTHS on average.

Hubby and I and 14 year old that we are trying to make sure her showers are down from 20 min. to 5 min! It seems like I do alot of laundry...

Vicki

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,137,251 times
Default Did some searching

I feel a little better about our household water consumption. After looking at data available online, and our Town of Cary water bills and average daily usage and monthly usage, we are well below the average.

Still, thinking we can do better, my nerd of a husband (and I mean that affectionately) has set-up a spreadsheet to monitor our use. This should be interesting as well as enlightening. Sort of a game now to see if we can get to Raleigh's projections for 35 gallons per day per person.

Aside from watering the great outdoors, mainly the lawn, our biggest water HOG appears to be the washing machine, and I would love a new, more efficient one, but just don't have the money right now. I have been looking at ratings on them for some time now. Anyone familiar with a Staber, manufactured in Columbus, OH?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Default Washing machines

My top loading Whirlpool is a water hog, I'm sure. Anybody have any ideas on about how much water a top loader actually uses? I found a site online that estimates an average 40 gallons?

With just two of us here, on average, I tend to run small loads. Is that worse, if we're trying to conserve water?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 PM

3,478 posts, read 5,506,373 times
I have not checked mine, but my grandfather is on a mission to use the absolute minimum possible while still leading a normal life (regular showers etc) and has it down to 25 gal a day.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 AM

Sacredgrooves, this has become something of a challenge for my husband and me, too. We are competing to see who takes the shortest shower now -- I'm down to 4 minutes, including the time it takes to warm the water, which I catch in buckets, or the tub.

We were curious as to whether we could conceivably get to the 35 gallon mark Raleigh is asking for (or have they gone back to 25?), even though we are in Cary, and seem to be faring better than our neighbors. I have all ideas we will be sharing soon.

I've also been 'fine-tuning' other things we've been doing all along, like dishwashing, and fewer loads of laundry. I wish someone could give me some direction of most efficient use of the old top-loader I am stuck with for now.

The dogs are even doing their part, which they are most happy about -- fewer baths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary