Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:06 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

No one misunderstood your question. The only way to get your answer is to call around and get some quotes. There are way too many factors involved in your own personal situation for anyone's experience to have any value to you. Where you live, the kind of car, driving habits, and so on will affect the rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:02 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
My Allstate agent, Andy Owens (919) 460-6190, was very helpful when we shopped auto insurance for my 18yo son. I can't give you specific pricing, since son picked up his own bill on that one.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:19 PM

58 posts, read 65,438 times
Thank you ERH for a SPECIFIC recommendation. That's what I was hoping people would share. If anyone else has a recommendation, I would love to hear it. Insurance shopping is not my idea of fun, so anything to make this task easier would be appreciated.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:39 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'll restate my oft-repeated opinion that insurance is RARELY someplace to scrimp on costs. BUT comparing costs is important and something that most consumers should do every 2-3 years. The important thing is to vompare against only A+ companies. Don't save $100 a year to gey an inferior company.

So - Erie is good. Get rates from USA and Amica. I'm not a huge fan of others.

Have you combined with you homeowners insurance?

Old 08-14-2016, 06:14 PM

58 posts, read 65,438 times
Yes, we have combined with homeowners. According to my agent, that is saving me $213 on my homeowners coverage.

I definitely would not change to a company that was not highly rated. One of the strategies my agent mentioned was possibly spinning my daughter off to another company while keeping my husband and I with Erie. I'm not sure I like that idea and wouldn't make the change if I thought her coverage would be questionable, particularly because odds are she would be the one to file a claim.

I just don't want to feel like I'm being taken advantage of financially.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Just be thankful you have a daughter and not a son

Old 08-15-2016, 08:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
This is not a comment or opinion about what car you bought your daughter, that is your decision and nobody else's...

But for the sake of cheap insurance, you might consider getting a beater car, and insuring your daughter on that car, and making the new car yours, and "letting her drive it". You need to explore the ramifications, but I think that insurance is based on the value of the car, but covers whatever car the insured is driving. Insuring a cheaper car may be worth looking into (even if it's not the car she drives).

Hope this is clear, I am not suggesting you change what car your daughter drives...

Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Two extremely important words:

SEPERATE POLICY

It will cost more for the policy, but could very well save you a MASSIVE expense and headache, should something happen.

Try USAA. They are consistently the cheapest for us.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 AM

289 posts, read 489,585 times
Some insurance companies will offer a discount if your teen takes Teensmart, and they may also offer a discount on this on-line/on-road safety class for teens. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM

260 posts, read 638,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex mom View Post
Sorry...I don't understand your reply. Maybe I didn't phrase my questions correctly. I am looking to potentially move from Erie to a new company for coverage to include all three of us. I'm looking for recommendations such as State Farm, Met Life, Liberty Mutual etc. My agent is going to shop my policy around, but only works with certain carriers. The agent did say that Erie was not as "rate friendly" for new drivers.
We were with Erie last year. This year my 16 yr. old got driver license and has started driving to school. Erie quoted $3600/year for 3 drivers (including teen) and 3 cars ( 2010, 2013, 2015). I went to Liberty Mutual and now have a $2400/year "equivalent" auto policy. Even my Erie agent was unhappy as agent had lost too much business due to high quote from Erie.

We had our teens take putonthebrakes.org program. Liberty Mutual provides discount for that.

Last edited by sachivalay; 08-15-2016 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: added more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary