Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM

107 posts, read 234,725 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be visiting family in the Morrisville, NC area starting next weeks (and we will be there for 2 weeks total). We're from the NYC metro area (Long Island) and I have an opportunity to transfer to the Raleigh Office of my company so we are thinking about moving down there (yes, we would be "another Ex-LIer"!). We did some research and it seems like the popular areas for commuters to Raleigh are (in no particular order): Morrisville, Apex, and Cary.

Would someone please recommend a local realtor (to buy, not rent) that wouldn't mind showing us a few homes in these areas (or other suggested areas) on short notice? Yes, I should have tried to find a realtor earlier . Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 02:46 PM

44 posts, read 49,073 times
TG17, I direct messaged you.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
No recs on the forum. DMs allowed.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the DMs.

So quick question that is important to me. In the Raleigh metro area, there isn't really a Commuter Rail (train) system that would get me from say Morrisville / Apex / Cary / Clayton areas to/from Raleigh? For example, I'm using to taking the Long Island Rail Road to/from NYC for work. Its 1hr 15min door-to-door, but I just sit in a chair and can read, watch videos, etc.

Down in Raleigh area I'd have to drive myself right? Or is there an alternative like say, a bus? Thank you.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
Thanks everyone for the DMs.

So quick question that is important to me. In the Raleigh metro area, there isn't really a Commuter Rail (train) system that would get me from say Morrisville / Apex / Cary / Clayton areas to/from Raleigh? For example, I'm using to taking the Long Island Rail Road to/from NYC for work. Its 1hr 15min door-to-door, but I just sit in a chair and can read, watch videos, etc.

Down in Raleigh area I'd have to drive myself right? Or is there an alternative like say, a bus? Thank you.
I know the LIRR and there's nothing like that here. We really don't have what you will define as mass transit here (though Chapel Hill has some bus services that are pretty decent). I'd plan on driving, and you will want a commute of less than 30 minutes (unless you're a masochist).

Old 08-15-2016, 03:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
you'll be driving.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I know the LIRR and there's nothing like that here. We really don't have what you will define as mass transit here (though Chapel Hill has some bus services that are pretty decent). I'd plan on driving, and you will want a commute of less than 30 minutes (unless you're a masochist).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you'll be driving.
Thanks a lot guys for the information. I did some research and like you guys said, there doesn't really seem to be a commuter rail system in the area. Is there at least like a bus system I can use? I really don't like driving . Thank you.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:59 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGI7 View Post
Thanks a lot guys for the information. I did some research and like you guys said, there doesn't really seem to be a commuter rail system in the area. Is there at least like a bus system I can use? I really don't like driving . Thank you.
There are busses, but you probably won't be happy using them for commuting every day if you are used to the LIRR. Not to be negative Nellie, but if driving is a serious problem for you, I'd say living in The Triangle is going to be unpleasant (except possibly Chapel Hill. Even then,it would be very limiting.)

Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
You'll be driving to work unless you live walking distance from the job or happen to live on one end of the very limited bus service here and your office is on the other.

The upside is not devoting 3 hours a day to commuting. I think you'll quickly realize how soul sucking your commute actually is once you're not doing it anymore.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:48 AM

259 posts, read 242,959 times
I think it's entirely possible that you could limit your driving but I doubt you could avoid driving all together. In my case, I live near two bus services and within walking distance to a grocery store. I can also cycle to Downtown Raleigh. The challenge I would have, would be taking public transport to go to a bar in North Raleigh or other random stuff. There might not be an option to get to that destination with a bus. Taking a bus to Durham or Cary would not be very appealing, since the schedule is limited. A 35min drive might take an hour or more on the bus. That's just a guess, since I haven't looked to confirm the frequency of service.

You would most likely need to live and work in downtown, but you'd have to drive for groceries. You could also work in downtown and live off of a bus line. You might be able to walk to a grocery store but you'd have to drive/Uber for other activities.

Neighborhoods that have bus service exist but, tend to be unfashionable down here. The key for you is focus on getting as many resources either on a bus service or within walking distance and determine if the balance would still be too much driving.

The link below is for the bus services.
GoTriangle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary