Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,247,940 times

Advertisements

So this thread got me thinking about using GoTriangle. I live near Apex Community Park, and work near the post office in RTP. It looks like I could possibly take the Apex/RTC route, getting on at Sheppards Vinyard (I assume it's the library?) and getting off at the EPA at the corner of 54 and Alexander.

The info provided is VERY confusing. It leads me to believe that I can't stop at the RTP side on the way in, but I can pick it up there on the way out.

I would readily use this route, as I can put a bike on the bus and bike to and from the stops (to/from home/work), and/or have the options to ride my bike home on nice days, or use the bus on days when I ride but the weather turns bad. If I used it all the time, the rates are not that bad ($34/month for unlimited pass??) and I'd save money and miles on my car.

All this to ask the question (which may benefit the OP), is there any better information about routes and schedules than the 2-page PDF I found online, which was not all that helpful?

EDIT: I know I'm looking at #311, but if I read the PDF for that route, it serves the route from Apex to RTP in the afternoon, and RTP to Apex in the AM. That is totally backwards, so I suspect I'm reading it wrong. NEHS stop is right down the road from me, and makes for a pretty direct route. Like 30-45 minutes depending on time of day.... (20-25 if I drive it, but that's cool....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,375,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So this thread got me thinking about using GoTriangle. I live near Apex Community Park, and work near the post office in RTP. It looks like I could possibly take the Apex/RTC route, getting on at Sheppards Vinyard (I assume it's the library?) and getting off at the EPA at the corner of 54 and Alexander.

The info provided is VERY confusing. It leads me to believe that I can't stop at the RTP side on the way in, but I can pick it up there on the way out.

I would readily use this route, as I can put a bike on the bus and bike to and from the stops (to/from home/work), and/or have the options to ride my bike home on nice days, or use the bus on days when I ride but the weather turns bad. If I used it all the time, the rates are not that bad ($34/month for unlimited pass??) and I'd save money and miles on my car.

All this to ask the question (which may benefit the OP), is there any better information about routes and schedules than the 2-page PDF I found online, which was not all that helpful?

EDIT: I know I'm looking at #311, but if I read the PDF for that route, it serves the route from Apex to RTP in the afternoon, and RTP to Apex in the AM. That is totally backwards, so I suspect I'm reading it wrong. NEHS stop is right down the road from me, and makes for a pretty direct route. Like 30-45 minutes depending on time of day.... (20-25 if I drive it, but that's cool....)
First, did you try using Google Maps and the "transit" option? Also, the 311 routing is REALLY confusing. It just doesn't stop at all RTP stops in the morning and makes a more direct path to the transfer center (RTC) but in the afternoon it hits more RTP stops on it's outbound (toward Apex) direction. However, you could also bike from the RTC to your office if it wasn't that far, then bike to the NIEHS stop in the afternoon. Weird, but it could work.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:19 AM

307 posts, read 375,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Wow you were not kidding, that is super confusing. To me the pdf looks like the route runs both directions in the morning and the afternoon. If you look at the second page of the pdf the top left quadrant is RTP -> Apex morning, top right is Apex -> RTP in the morning, bottom left is RTP -> Apex in the afternoon, bottom right Apex -> RTP in the afternoon.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
So according to Google Maps, you would need to catch the 311 at Pine Plaza Dr at Shepherds Vineyard, take it to the Regional Transit Center and transfer to Shuttle #47 (5 minute transfer) to get to the post office. Or you could stay on the #311 after it gets to the RTC and keep going to the EPA stop on its way back to Apex........

I've thought about taking the bike/bus combo now as well that it's getting a little cooler.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 AM

On a side note, I hate how there is RTP, RTC (Regional Transit Center - bus transfer point), and then RDU. I wish there was some way we could better connect all these 3 destinations with transit.

If you want to go to RDU from Durham, you have to transfer to the 100 at the RTC. If you want to go to RTP from Durham/Raleigh, you have to go to the RTC and transfer to a shuttle. It's just a mess and makes transit more difficult for people who want to use it.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,880,852 times
Anybody tried the JCX to Cleveland in Johnston County?

Old 08-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I think the GoTriangle buses can legally drive on the shoulder of the road on I-40 if there's congestion so it'd definitely help if there's traffic problems on I-40 (as usual haha)

Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think the GoTriangle buses can legally drive on the shoulder of the road on I-40 if there's congestion so it'd definitely help if there's traffic problems on I-40 (as usual haha)
Yep, they can. It's really nice to be on the bus and pass all the traffic while you're reading/working/relaxing or anything but paying attention to the road.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Are you commuting from Raleigh (ish) to Cleveland or the reverse? Also, if you do try it out, note that the JCX is operated by GoRaleigh (CAT) so the bus will probably be a GoRaleigh bus and not a GoTriangle bus.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:07 PM

256 posts, read 893,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
You could always split the difference and park and ride from the RTC and catch the 100/105. It'll get you on the bus for the worst of the traffic, it's free to park and ride at the RTC and then if you have to run errands on the way home or whatnot, it works really well.
Thanks for the tip. Are the park and ride locations typically monitored to prevent vandalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary