Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspam98 View Post
I'm up and down this stretch of road 5 - 6 times a day, sometimes more. I like to drive 80 - 85 mph if possible. I always keep at least three car lengths between us, preferably more. I don't tailgate and always remain proactive. I get out of the way for those who like to drive faster. I only use the left lane to pass and then I merge back at the first available chance. I turn on my signal for a second or two before I actually make the lane change. I double check my blind spots. I avoid riding in clusters with other vehicles. I keep my signal on even when I'm in an exit only lane. I make sure my signal is off after I execute any maneuvers. My phone is in the cup holder. I give the truckers extra space before I cut in front of them. In standstill traffic, I'll stick my head out the window and make eye contact with the person I'm getting ready to cut in front of and give them a smile and a wave to let them know it's nothing personal. Honk and wave hello if you see me out there!
I'm not going to honk and wave at you. I'm going to try to avoid driving close to you if I can

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 08-24-2016 at 04:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:40 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
I'm up and down this stretch of road 5 - 6 times a day, sometimes more. I like to drive 80 - 85 mph if possible. I always keep at least three car lengths between us, preferably more. I don't tailgate and always remain proactive. I get out of the way for those who like to drive faster. I only use the left lane to pass and then I merge back at the first available chance. I turn on my signal for a second or two before I actually make the lane change. I double check my blind spots. I avoid riding in clusters with other vehicles. I keep my signal on even when I'm in an exit only lane. I make sure my signal is off after I execute any maneuvers. My phone is in the cup holder. I give the truckers extra space before I cut in front of them. In standstill traffic, I'll stick my head out the window and make eye contact with the person I'm getting ready to cut in front of and give them a smile and a wave to let them know it's nothing personal. Honk and wave hello if you see me out there!
+1 most though not all of these, as I don't drive over 75 and I think sticking one's head out like that compromises one's directional ability.

I would add that I also make an effort to get out of people's blind spot as quick as possible when I am to their left.

Let's see if I can get that graphic to show better than my last post.....
Attached Thumbnails
40 West Closed - Multiple Car Fires at Davis Drive-turn-signals.jpg  

Old 08-24-2016, 06:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with passing on the right. The only reason its occasionally a necessity is because someone is driving slowly in a left lane and not aware of their surroundings. If I'm ever in a left lane and a faster car approaches I merge right. Most of the time someone will have their face buried in a cell phone and won't know whats going on around them as they are traveling 60.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 PM

In most cases it is illegal as well as dangerous.

Not to mention, today not once but twice did drivers in the right lane not allow me to get in that lane in order to make my exit, and I was turning well in advance - this is just plain wrong.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
So if someone is driving slowly in the left lane, you're just supposed to patiently wait behind them to move over to the right lane? I think passing on the right is not as great as passing on the left (and I always try to pass on the left when possible) but I think there are certain situations where this can be acceptable.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
As long as there are multiple lanes, you are free to pass on the right. Left is best as that's where other drivers expect faster traffic to be, but there's no issue passing on the right if needed pretty much anywhere you'd think of doing it.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:37 AM

"think' is the operative word, and subjective - this is the law: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...Rq6ShjqT-XVWkA

Source: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/SiteS...cof=FORID%3A11

Last edited by Repatriot; 08-25-2016 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 06:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Nowhere close to enough space to react. That is about 50 feet. I googled several sources to confirm my suspicions, and you need approximately 2-3 seconds distance to be considered safe (assuming tires and equipment are in good shape, weather conditions are OK, and you are paying full attention to the road). At 60mph, that is 120-140 feet according to one source. At 75 mph that is 333 feet according to a different source.

In any case, 50 feet at a fast speed than either of those examples, well.... You are a dangerous driver, and are part of what explains the uptick in wrecks.

Please slow down, I have a family to go home to.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 AM

+1
I believe the paradigm some use for this is football fields

Old 08-25-2016, 06:58 AM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Nowhere close to enough space to react. That is about 50 feet. I googled several sources to confirm my suspicions, and you need approximately 2-3 seconds distance to be considered safe (assuming tires and equipment are in good shape, weather conditions are OK, and you are paying full attention to the road). At 60mph, that is 120-140 feet according to one source. At 75 mph that is 333 feet according to a different source.

In any case, 50 feet at a fast speed than either of those examples, well.... You are a dangerous driver, and are part of what explains the uptick in wrecks.

Please slow down, I have a family to go home to.
I agree with this completely. Although this driver doesn't sound like a tailgater himself/herself, the number of times I've had people less than a full car length behind me while we are both hurtling down the highway at 75+ mph is astounding. It happens at least once a week, often more. Add to that the fact that it's nearly impossible to keep 3 car lengths in front of you at any point - because if there is 10 feet of available space on a semi-busy highway, someone is going to inevitably zip in there, usually in an effort to pass someone else in the lane to save themselves a perceived two seconds. Too many people seem to lack an understanding of physics - it's not possible to stop these vehicles on a dime.

I say this as someone who has had a vehicle totalled by an individual who rear ended me with such force that the damage exceeded the value of the vehicle ( which was less than two years old). Thank goodness I wasn't too close to the vehicle in front of me or I might not be here today.

I also say slow down - I not only have a family to go home to - i sometimes have that family in my car with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary