Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:53 AM

544 posts, read 849,300 times

Advertisements

I've seen construction signs in other states that read "Maintain two lanes to merge point" and they seem to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,871,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Actually more and more states are encouraging drivers to ride until the end of the lane drop and zipper merge - from a capacity standpoint it makes sense because you have all that wasted capacity if you merge in too early. I saw a sign in Durham on 85 I believe that encourages people to zipper merge (can't recall where it was)

https://www.ksdot.org/bureaus/kcMetro/zipper-merge.asp
That contains elements of what I described in my post, however, it rests on two faulty assumptions.
1. Drivers in the adjacent lane where the mergers occur will allow for the cars to move over
2. That the lane containing the drop isn't already at a near standstill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
This. Its actually more efficient if people can manage to not act like kindergartners throwing tantrums because one car may wait less than them.

Don't see how everyone driving to as far as they can along the lane drop demonstrably helps... they key phrase used in the video was early merger is "not always" the best way.

I think the YouTube responses, based on the commenters' experiential knowledge, sum it up.

Darth Chau
2 weeks ago
Unfortunately, idiot drivers make the zipper merge a daily source of frustration.

Tomek G2 weeks ago
... So the truth is, that you zipper merge like in video when there is already congestion, but merge in earlier when opportunity appears to prevent slowdowns.

Illuminutteh _1 month ago
You assume falsely that people will allow you in...

Elle2 weeks ago
The zipper merge would work better if people let others merge into the other lane. I'm afraid to use the lane that is closing because I don't think anyone will let me merge and/or I will cause a crash. Usually people are bumper to bumper in the open lane because they don't want anyone to cut in front of them.

Ken Lee2 months ago
Zipper merge works well in certain situations and I'm sure that in theory, it's the safest way for traffic to move. The problem with the zipper merge is that inevitably, you get one person in the through lane who stops and won't go and 3-4 cars jump in, then cars pull into the other lane, and then fight their way back in. Meanwhile, two cars back, the guy who was patience before the hijinks kicked in, is now furious and won't allow cars to merge. It turns into a dangerous mess. In time, when autonomous vehicles are common, the zipper merge will be effective. In the mean time, human emotions are going to make it dangerous. What is aggravating is when you see a sign that says, "Merge Now" and idiots blow by it and force their way in at the cones.

...practically, the zipper merge is hogwash.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:36 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,147,671 times
Zipper merge does not work around here, and never will.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:49 PM

6,641 posts, read 5,534,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Zipper merge does not work around here, and never will.
Sure it'll never work around here but the fact is that I'm not an "*******" if I do try and zipper merge haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary