Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:56 PM

188 posts, read 150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
First of all, that McMansionHell site is hilarious. It's written by a woman who grew up in Chapel Hill actually.
I don't have links available to me at the moment I've seen some pretty convincing studies about the perils of diminished future value of homes that are out of scale with their lot size. Basically they're a bad investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:01 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,553,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I don't have links available to me at the moment I've seen some pretty convincing studies about the perils of diminished future value of homes that are out of scale with their lot size. Basically they're a bad investment.
I don't see the value of having a huge house personally - it's a lot of personal upkeep and I in no way want to have so much stuff that it would be a problem if I was forced to downsize for any reason (unless you're really rich and can pay people to do this for you). If I had a family and kids, I would rather have more space for my kids to play outside than build an over sized house on a small lot (unless there were great parks facilities within walking distance)

Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM

6,335 posts, read 5,429,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
Thanks! This is an eye-opener for me. I had no idea how far some kids were travelling for school.
When I went to Apex High School....there were kids from Carolina Pines (SE Raleigh) who were assigned there. They called it "the Raleigh bus".

Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,121,624 times
Quote:
well, I for one would love for you to find these studies and link them. Bless our hearts, we can hope they're privately, not government-funded.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, I for one would love for you to find these studies and link them. Bless our hearts, we can hope they're privately, not government-funded.
Seems like with you being a realtor, you should be educating us on this matter rather than begging to be educated. This isn't even one I referred to before, it's one of the first hits that came up in a Google search. I really, really recommend you learn about search engines sometime in the near future.

McMansions Define Ugly in a New Way: They

Old 08-25-2016, 09:18 PM

514 posts, read 600,479 times
Quote:
Seems like with you being a realtor, you should be educating us on this matter rather than begging to be educated. This isn't even one I referred to before, it's one of the first hits that came up in a Google search. I really, really recommend you learn about search engines sometime in the near future.

McMansions Define Ugly in a New Way: They
Really? Was that necessary?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Really? Was that necessary?
Are any of these posts necessary? I mean the earth would have continued turning even if nobody asked me to do some gratuitous Googling for them, minus the retainer fee I usually ask up front for research work.

I think my point was perfectly valid. If anyone in the RE industry has data showing these eyesores are actually a good investment, let them post away.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:24 PM

I don't think realtors are supposed to be steering people towards what they should be wanting.........they're just there to facilitate people's needs and desires.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I don't think realtors are supposed to be steering people towards what they should be wanting.........they're just there to facilitate people's needs and desires.
I wasn't implying they should be steering anyone, but they also shouldn't be implying someone else should do their Googling for them when they are perfectly capable.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
This was absolutely completely unnecessary. There's no need to be rude in return to a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary