Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What career are you seeking in the Raleigh area?
That's a good question to ask - sounds like the OP is focusing on working for a top employee in the area as opposed to a good fit for what he wants to do personally or what he got his degree in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 AM

26 posts, read 25,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
That's a good question to ask - sounds like the OP is focusing on working for a top employee in the area as opposed to a good fit for what he wants to do personally or what he got his degree in.
Winner winner. Curious what field. Sounds like he needs to go to one of these career colleges that train people in 2 weeks and ready to go. They have it all figured out.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,070,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
In the original poster's initial post, I could decipher seeking a sales job and graduating with a degree in business. First, what kind of degree (associate, bachelor, master, or doctorate) would be helpful information. Second, I would not be expecting a top sales job right away if I graduated from college and have not learned how to sell until after joining the prospective employer.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 AM

13,652 posts, read 12,307,612 times
Quote:
In the original poster's initial post, I could decipher seeking a sales job and graduating with a degree in business. First, what kind of degree (associate, bachelor, master, or doctorate) would be helpful information. Second, I would not be expecting a top sales job right away if I graduated from college and have not learned how to sell until after joining the prospective employer.
He says top sales person, which is a quantifiable achievement achieved in past years. So I assume that he has some experience.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,756,587 times
Quote:
What career are you seeking in the Raleigh area?
His username is salesguy, so I am guessing sales

Of course, "selling" yourself to an employer is ultimately the same process as selling anything else, so look at your tried-and-true techniques from the business. Identify their need and convince them you are what they need, to fill it.

If you've been trying and are frustrated, try some of the headhunter companies like Robert Half and especially their one-on-one meetings with recruiters. I used a couple of places like that after being laid off, and while I can't give them ALL the credit for getting a new job, it certainly helped. Have someone look at your resume and make sure it's what's in line with the industry.

Accentuate that this is your home town (I believe you said that), which should be good for a salesperson since you have a lot of built-in networking here (unless it's national sales or whatever).

I tend to agree with the others who say lower the bar a little if you are aiming ONLY for the "top companies". Get some experience first, and it's much easier to transfer to a more desirable place once you are already doing it.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,266 times
I am not a recent graduate. I went to college as a non-traditional student and graduated in 2012 after having been laid off from my previous employer. I have over 10 years of sales experience ranging from cold to warm calling, lead gen, b2c, b2b, and retail professional sales. I also have experience in statiscal analysis using IBM SPSS and marketing research in addition to technical skills ranging from Cloud, various software platforms, and hardware. The problem that I am finding is I have a descent paying job, but I am looking for something closer to home that matches my skill set and offers better pay/benefits. Currently, I work a LOT and I feel that a job in the RTP area that meets that should not be out of reach. I am looking for a position related to marketing: sales, product development, talent acquisition, distribution.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,266 times
I respect what everyone has to say, but I can't lower the bar. It's not in a salesperson's consideration-set to accept less than ideal. The last time I was told to lower the bar was in a business law class, because some of the other students knew I was screwing up their curve. I only know how to work hard and go forward.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesguy View Post
I respect what everyone has to say, but I can't lower the bar. It's not in a salesperson's consideration-set to accept less than ideal. The last time I was told to lower the bar was in a business law class, because some of the other students knew I was screwing up their curve. I only know how to work hard and go forward.
Please take this in the polite manner in which I am thinking it, but cannot figure out how to type it in straight text:

How's that working out for you so far?

Nobody here is saying you should not aim for top companies. They're saying that it seems that top companies aren't interested in you at the moment, so (if you want a job) you might need to do some temp work. Hell, you can do temp work in a top company... that's easy to get unless your resume is really terrible or you interview poorly.

It's a way to network. To get your foot in the door. To build your resume.

Why would you remain unemployed in NC until you get hired by your choice of company? I mean, if you don't need a job, proceed, but the longer you don't work, the bigger the gap in your resume and the more hiring managers will ignore you and think you're not a good choice.

My 2 cents.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:51 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Btw? Especially true if you're a non-traditional student who graduated 4 years ago. The reality is that most companies don't give a damn what your GPA was unless you're being hired as an intern or a co-op.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM

166 posts, read 162,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesguy View Post
I imagine you'll get a variety of perspectives here, some of which might not be to your liking, but often in life it's the advice we want the least that is actually most valuable (if we are able to recognize it as such).

I can't know for sure of course, but I suspect the competitive / no compromises attitude conveyed in your above paragraph would preclude you from working in a lot of places around here if they smell it on you ahead of time. Even in sales, the people I've seen succeed around here are those who understand the art of a deal means a deal is only truly "good" when both sides are happy with the outcome, not when the salesman got his way.

I suspect different sales styles may be more effective than others depending on geographic regions, but IMHO around here you'll need to be flexible, willing and able to compromise, lowering and raising the bar as the situation requires.

I'm wondering if you're going into these discussions with a firm salary requirement and demonstrating an unwillingness to budge based on what you believe you are worth to anyone (as opposed to what your skills may be worth to that particular organization)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary