Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julez0920 View Post
I love that comparison!!! Thank you!
Raleigh seems to be a younger version of Austin in some cases - though it isn't as hot here and the traffic on I-40 hasn't hit I-35 levels yet I wouldn't say the economy is booming here but it is in good shape and there are jobs available depending on what you're doing.

I know someone who visited Austin recently and wrote this comparison: Raleigh is the Portland of Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:10 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,542,728 times
Cost of Living Calculator
Your current salary: $50,000
State of origin: North Carolina Destination state: Texas
City of origin: Raleigh Destination city: Austin
If you make: $50,000 You will have to make: $87,179

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...#ixzz4INP3hRlN

There is a neat feature on the City-Data that compares cost of living between the town you live in and the town you are looking to move to. I looked up Raleigh first and here is the comparison. Our state taxes are so low you don't even have to worry about them.

I will go the way you will be going with the comparison this time. One moment please...

State of origin: Texas Destination state: North Carolina
City of origin: Austin Destination city: Raleigh
If you make: $50,000 You will have to make: $28,676

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin...#ixzz4INQtRUyg

State of origin: Texas Destination state: Florida
City of origin: Austin Destination city: Jacksonville
If you make: $50,000 You will have to make: $87,500

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin...#ixzz4INRitulG

I just used the salary the sample chose. Go to Austin information on City Data and put in your real salary and you can get a better comparison. This feature is close to the bottom of the page of information for your city.

One thing you will need to think about is are you planning to stay in Raleigh for the rest of your life or will you be moving again and have to pay a lot more for the next area you are moving to as to housing costs, etc. Sometimes that can be a problem.

State of origin: Texas Destination state: Florida
City of origin: Austin Destination city: Tampa
If you make: $50,000 You will have to make: $38,971

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin...#ixzz4INWIdY5U

Last edited by NCN; 08-25-2016 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 06:27 PM

332 posts, read 396,988 times
I visited Austin earlier in the year as a potential place to live and I don't get the hype. It's congested and sprawling and felt rundown. Finally visited Raleigh area and while it feel suburban it was easy to get around and had plenty of areas to walk/bike and exercise so you can stay healthy. It's forested and has lakes close by, it reminded me of Portland before it started to slowly become hip and happening 20 years ago. I live in Seattle and there is no income tax but I bet the property tax calculation is way different than what I will pay in Raleigh area. It especially hurts on the property tax side since my house is appraised 2-3x more compared to a similar size house in an upscale area in Raleigh.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 08-25-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,520,642 times
Austin is far hotter than Raleigh, but Raleigh has higher humidity and colder winters. COL is a wash. 3 universities and great medical care here plus you have to really consider that the Triangle is one city as far as things to do. Raleigh is near the beach and is a 4 hr drive to Asheville and the southern Appalachians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary