Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:07 AM

108 posts, read 203,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Insurance companies prorate the amount paid based on the age of the roof. If a roof has reached or is near the end of it's life the homeowner is not getting a new roof "for free" e.g. the original roof on a house built in 1991 will receive minimal, if any, replacement cost for a roof.
I do not believe this is correct. I heard somewhere that NC law does not allow for pro-rating roof claims.

As for me, I also was initially skeptical of all the hail damage claims even though several months ago my house did experience a fierce hail storm. However, I noticed some small water staining in my attic and ceiling and decided I needed a roof inspection (I went with an established firm located in the area but who has experience with insurance claims). Roofer inspected roof and showed me pictures of hail damage. I filed a claim and insurance adjuster came out, inspected the roof, and agreed there was hail damage. He even showed me areas on my gutter and screens that were damaged from hail (pock-marks and ripped screening). This is my first ever homeowners insurance claim and don't view it as "wrong" since my insurance company verified the damage and will pay a claim based on my policy and NC laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 11:11 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,218,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_terp View Post
I do not believe this is correct. I heard somewhere that NC law does not allow for pro-rating roof claims.

As for me, I also was initially skeptical of all the hail damage claims even though several months ago my house did experience a fierce hail storm. However, I noticed some small water staining in my attic and ceiling and decided I needed a roof inspection (I went with an established firm located in the area but who has experience with insurance claims). Roofer inspected roof and showed me pictures of hail damage. I filed a claim and insurance adjuster came out, inspected the roof, and agreed there was hail damage. He even showed me areas on my gutter and screens that were damaged from hail (pock-marks and ripped screening). This is my first ever homeowners insurance claim and don't view it as "wrong" since my insurance company verified the damage and will pay a claim based on my policy and NC laws.
Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with legit claims on newer roofs. But not pro-rating a 20 year old roof is just inviting fraud, and there's no doubt that it happens, and raises everyone else's rates.

Did your insurance company raise your premium or drop you or anything?

Old 08-29-2016, 11:44 AM

108 posts, read 203,061 times
My rates have not increased, but that certainly is a possibility next cycle (my claim is relatively recent). But if I does increase, I guess it would be hard to pinpoint the cause...my claim or everyone elses. I think there is talk of legislation to change the pro-rating issue, as the cost of new roofs across many states is a big issue to insurers. It think there are pros/cons to the pro-rating issue (e.g., if a homeowner has to pay $10-15k for a new roof and postpones it, then the insurer is at risk for subsequent roof leaks/water damage/mold). I have not done much research on it but was pleasantly surprised there was no pro-rating on my roof.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:48 AM

677 posts, read 1,899,370 times
If you have replacement cost coverage on your policy--and most Homeowners' policies are written that way--and the entire roof is damaged by hail, the policy pays for the entire roof (less your deductible) once it is actually replaced. The depreciated value (pro-rated) can be paid whether or not the roof is replaced.

Some companies are using an actual cash value endorsement for roofs when they know the roof is old, but I would guess most do not have the endorsement.

Last edited by ragdolls4me; 08-30-2016 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: clarfication
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary