Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,216,055 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about and seeing signs regarding "hail damaged" roofs. Are these legit claims, or are most of them questionable? Aren't these people seeing considerable increases in their homeowners rates? How does this affect everyone else's rates?

I have to admit it irks me a little to see and hear about this. I have a hard time believing these are all legit claims, and I have a feeling we all pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 PM

22,634 posts, read 36,593,496 times
Yes, they are making everyone's rates go up. Yes, some of them are "somewhat" legit or the insurance company would not pay. That doesn't mean most of the roofs in question aren't at their age limit, and the insurance companies know it.

A HO claim is never a good thing if you can help it.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:57 AM

339 posts, read 315,969 times
hopefully the insurance claims adjusters actually go out and LOOK at the roofs in question...I know mine sure would prob. do so.
I just paid out of pocket full price for a new roof, did not even cross my mind to try and blame my aging roof on hail .
Would not dream of doing so even though I feel I pay WAY too much for homeowners insurance...in big part ( they say ) to being .5 miles over the 5 mile limit from a certain rated fire station.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 10 days ago)

43,101 posts, read 76,681,954 times
One has to watch the storm chasing artists who offer to "Pay your deductible."

Old 08-27-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
hopefully the insurance claims adjusters actually go out and LOOK at the roofs in question...I know mine sure would prob. do so.
I just paid out of pocket full price for a new roof, did not even cross my mind to try and blame my aging roof on hail .
Would not dream of doing so even though I feel I pay WAY too much for homeowners insurance...in big part ( they say ) to being .5 miles over the 5 mile limit from a certain rated fire station.
We need a new roof. I also wouldn't even consider trying to do that cause I think it's selfish, shady, and self-entitled. There I said it. If my roof was 5 years old and there was obvious damage due to RECENT hail, then yes I absolutely would.

There's a few signs up in the neighborhood for some roofing company that say "another insurance claim approved". We haven't had hail here for at least 4 or 5 months, and when we did I don't think it was nearly large enough to cause roof damage. I guess if it was, everyone in the neighborhood would have roof damage. And it was just recently that these guys were going around the neighborhood offering "free inspections". Why anyone would want one of these shady roofing companies putting a roof on their house, I don't know.

Are the insurance companies actually paying for a whole new roof on a 20 year old house? If so why wouldn't they pro-rate or just pay for repairs?

Old 08-27-2016, 04:59 PM

22,634 posts, read 36,593,496 times
Where do you live? We had a hail storm the first week of May and around here it was small hail that didn't really do any damage. Wake Forest got clobbered that day, however. One of my co-workers had her roof replaced, but she did it with a roofer that she picked, not one of these guys that drives thru the neighborhoods looking for business.

As for why the insurers replace entire roofs, well hail isn't a meteorite. It hits the entire roof.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,031 times
A ton of homes in our neighborhood are getting roofs replaced due to hail damage now. We did get clobbered with hail a while back. We got ours repaired instead and paid out of pocket (a whopping $150).

Old 08-29-2016, 08:04 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,243,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Where do you live? We had a hail storm the first week of May and around here it was small hail that didn't really do any damage. Wake Forest got clobbered that day, however. One of my co-workers had her roof replaced, but she did it with a roofer that she picked, not one of these guys that drives thru the neighborhoods looking for business.

As for why the insurers replace entire roofs, well hail isn't a meteorite. It hits the entire roof.
I see a TON of these signs up in parts of Cary when I go on bike-rides. There is one neighborhood that has dozens of signs from the same company (it actually says something to the effect that "this is being paid by insurance", which is a thinly veiled advertisement).

I also live in Cary, and we didn't have any damaging hail at my house (and I just paid full price to replace my roof). I will admit though, that someone that lives less than a couple miles away from me had pretty major hail damage to her car, I saw it. So I guess some are legit, and others are opportunistic.

I agree, it's shady and not right. I guess if my roof were near needing replacement, and I got verified Hail damage, I'd consider myself lucky, but I think more of them are just taking advantage of the opportunity. (My neighbor did it, and I KNOW we didn't get major hail)

Old 08-29-2016, 08:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,556,937 times
Insurance companies prorate the amount paid based on the age of the roof. If a roof has reached or is near the end of it's life the homeowner is not getting a new roof "for free" e.g. the original roof on a house built in 1991 will receive minimal, if any, replacement cost for a roof.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Insurance companies prorate the amount paid based on the age of the roof. If a roof has reached or is near the end of it's life the homeowner is not getting a new roof "for free" e.g. the original roof on a house built in 1991 will receive minimal, if any, replacement cost for a roof.
Do you know this for sure? It seems crazy that anyone would make a homeowners claim for such a small amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary