U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:00 PM

2,461 posts, read 5,450,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda_jives View Post
Will the high temp + humidity during summer cause people to stay indoors and be restricted to indoorsy activity outdoors - no hikes, walks in the park, picnics ?

What time does it cool off - do you folks keep the air conditioners continuously on ?
Yes, from late-July until mid-September, there are many days that are simply too hot to do much of anything outside. I still tend to go cycling, but only b/c the breeze at 20 mph helps keep me relatively cool...but stopping at a traffic light for just a minute will result in a soaking sweat.

What time does it cool down - many nights it doesn't. As the temp drops, the humidity increases and the misery continues into the night, so yes, A/C runs a lot. That said, you do adapt after a while to the heat and humidity. My first year back from the Rockies was miserable, but each year since has been more tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:17 PM

4,895 posts, read 10,335,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
That said, you do adapt after a while to the heat and humidity. My first year back from the Rockies was miserable, but each year since has been more tolerable.
Yes. We just moved here from Dallas TX and I think it's so nice and cool here!

There'd be times in Dallas when I'd go out for a jog after dinner and it'd still be over 100 degrees.

My mother has lived in Phoenix for the last 10 years. She sometimes tells me that they turn their AC off at night because it's "nice and cool". Then I check their weather and it was 90 degrees at 6 am.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM

2,461 posts, read 5,450,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yes. We just moved here from Dallas TX and I think it's so nice and cool here!

There'd be times in Dallas when I'd go out for a jog after dinner and it'd still be over 100 degrees.

My mother has lived in Phoenix for the last 10 years. She sometimes tells me that they turn their AC off at night because it's "nice and cool". Then I check their weather and it was 90 degrees at 6 am.
Yes, but that dry air in the desert is much different. I spent many hot days on the Colorado River in Arizona and I find it more tolerable than here. At least there you can find some shade and feel some relief. I recall a day that hit 124 in Lake Havasu City, but with the humidity at 5%, the heat index was only about 100. I went to the pool that afternoon and just cycled in and out of the water to stay comfy. The best thing was that I dried off in only a couple of minutes, unlike here where you're wet until you get home.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:34 PM

8,597 posts, read 15,743,355 times
When it was 105 in Vegas, it felt fine as long as you kept hydrated.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,551,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Yes, from late-July until mid-September, there are many days that are simply too hot to do much of anything outside. I still tend to go cycling, but only b/c the breeze at 20 mph helps keep me relatively cool...but stopping at a traffic light for just a minute will result in a soaking sweat.
mdp_az, I am in awe of people like you who still manage to go cycling in that heat. Talk about dedication! My hat is off to you.

I spend a lot of time indoors during the summers here. Granted, I'm also pretty pale and I burn easily so that's a big part of it, but even with sunblock I rarely do anything outside in July and August after 11am. Sundresses are my uniform during the summer. My jeans get packed away until late September because it's simply too sticky & hot to wear them.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:52 PM

I love heat but smell like a dog.

My wife hated the 1984 Chevette I owned in New Orleans since it had no A/C.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,416,929 times
Well that's just insane! You're lucky your wife didn't leave you! I think mine would at least consider it if I drove her around in a car in the middle of summer in the deep south in no a/c. lol (to all mods this is a joke and not a "personal attack" on saturnfan at all)

Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 PM

403 posts, read 30,836 times
I am orginally from MA, but please don't spread that around. I am quite embarassed by that. My first summer here was 2006. I found that entire year to be great. The extreme summer heat only lasted about 2 months and the rest of the year was awesome. The summer of 2007 felt like I was laying under a steam roller. I am guessing that the average would be somewhere in between. Either way, better than 30 degrees below zero, lungs freezing upon first breath, stuck inside for 7 months out of the year, salt & sand everywhere, trees having leaves for a whole 4 months out of the year.........YUK!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Well that's just insane! You're lucky your wife didn't leave you! I think mine would at least consider it if I drove her around in a car in the middle of summer in the deep south in no a/c. lol (to all mods this is a joke and not a "personal attack" on saturnfan at all)
No offense taken.

I love heat. When I worked grave in a gas station on LI thru college, would sleep on the beach some mornings after going off duty.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 PM

27 posts, read 186,915 times
We searched and found a site of "climate summaries" and it said that Durham averaged 48" of precipitation per year! That number is even higher than Seattle, WA. Does it rain that much there, or is that number considering humidity???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary