Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachr+3 View Post
We searched and found a site of "climate summaries" and it said that Durham averaged 48" of precipitation per year! That number is even higher than Seattle, WA. Does it rain that much there, or is that number considering humidity???
Endless days of gray drizzle vs. a thunderstorm deluge. Compare the annual number of sunny days in Seattle (172) vs. Raleigh-Durham (212).

Sunshine- Average Percent (%) Possible

Seattle, WA - 47%

Raleigh-Durham - 58%

Last edited by mm34b; 03-17-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachr+3 View Post
We searched and found a site of "climate summaries" and it said that Durham averaged 48" of precipitation per year! That number is even higher than Seattle, WA. Does it rain that much there, or is that number considering humidity???
Which website is it? Does it show the average number of sunny days per year?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 AM

269 posts, read 944,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
When it was 105 in Vegas, it felt fine as long as you kept hydrated.

Ha! I was there in July, five months pregnant, car temp display showed 116. But I would tend to agree, coming from the northeast, I would always hear how it was a dry heat, so it was different. Never believed them until then.

Quote:
That said, you do adapt after a while to the heat and humidity. My first year back from the Rockies was miserable, but each year since has been more tolerable.
It is funny how once you live in a place, it seems so different then when you visit, particularly temperature. My dad moved to Miami (we're from NYC)when he retired, I would go down in January to visit and be on the beach in a bathing suit, but locals would be wearing coats!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:12 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I lived in the PNW for almost 10 years (between Portland and Seattle). It's true--those areas get about 10" less of precipitation than most east coast markets. But the rain there is a soft drizzle. Days and days amounting to maybe 1/4". Or days and days of gray with no precip.

Also no humidity in the summer with beautiful blue skies and 80-85 degree weather. But shhhh.....you're supposed to only know that it rains all the time there, it's an awful place to live and go somewhere else.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I lived in the PNW for almost 10 years (between Portland and Seattle). It's true--those areas get about 10" less of precipitation than most east coast markets. But the rain there is a soft drizzle. Days and days amounting to maybe 1/4". Or days and days of gray with no precip.

Also no humidity in the summer with beautiful blue skies and 80-85 degree weather. But shhhh.....you're supposed to only know that it rains all the time there, it's an awful place to live and go somewhere else.
It's soul wrenching to leave the PNW isn't it. I think the slow rain seeps into your blood and becomes part of your essences and changes your DNA.

But my DNA is enjoying the warm, sunny NC winter days. However, come this summer I'm sure you'll hear complaining about the humidity from me & my family. This past Friday afternoon my 5 year old daughter was playing outside but then said it was too hot outside and she was going in! It was maybe 72 degrees.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
It's soul wrenching to leave the PNW isn't it. I think the slow rain seeps into your blood and becomes part of your essences and changes your DNA.

But my DNA is enjoying the warm, sunny NC winter days. However, come this summer I'm sure you'll hear complaining about the humidity from me & my family. This past Friday afternoon my 5 year old daughter was playing outside but then said it was too hot outside and she was going in! It was maybe 72 degrees.
We left in 1994. I'm still not over it.

We moved to NoVA. Even though I grew up in Philadelphia, I thought I was gonna die. My husband, Oregon native that he is, did just about keel over! But we survived. Funny thing about MA---we don't have as many sticky days but when we do, the dewpoints can climb right up there in the lower 70's like yours in NC do!

And 72 is too hot? LOL--- a born and bred PNWer!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Althougth I only spent a little more than half of last summer in NC...I thought it was one of the hottest. I believe there was only ONE day in Augusgt where the high temp was BELOW 90 degrees ( it was 86) and somewhere between 5 and 10 that were OVER 100.
Last Summer was in no way normal. It was very hot but very dry. If there is ever a typical Summer again, expect it to be "cooler" but more humid. Also expect thunderstorms in the late afternoon.
A rule of thumb that works for me is the higher the temp goes above 90, the drier the air tends to get. The most miserable feeling days to me usually top out in the high 80's with high humidity and overcast afternoons.
In the end, the humidity game is all relative. For me, compared to Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis or anywhere along the Gulf Coast, the Raleigh Summer's feel downright pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary