Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:59 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's unattractive.
Me too, especially once the leaves start falling. Some always get lodged between the rocks where even a blower won't get them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 AM

19 posts, read 21,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
It looks like the drainage ditch coming down the street just kind of ends when it gets to this house at the start of the cul de sac. There aren't any noticeable drainage pipes under the driveways of the other houses on the cul de sac. I wonder if this house was having an issue with some standing water in their front yeard and decided to fill it in with rocks (of course, the water would still be there but would be hidden by the rocks...out of sight, out of mind).
Definitely seems plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Me too, especially once the leaves start falling. Some always get lodged between the rocks where even a blower won't get them out.
Hadn't even really thought of that. Tree debris is a "a big thing" around here, unlike out west where you see more use of rocks/gravel.

This is one reason I prefer a neighborhood with a HOA that requires landscape plans to be submitted before doing something different than everyone else on the street.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:23 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
It looks like the drainage ditch coming down the street just kind of ends when it gets to this house at the start of the cul de sac. There aren't any noticeable drainage pipes under the driveways of the other houses on the cul de sac. I wonder if this house was having an issue with some standing water in their front yeard and decided to fill it in with rocks (of course, the water would still be there but would be hidden by the rocks...out of sight, out of mind).
this would be my guess as well. i don't care for the look and guess this was the cheapest homeowner solution. wonder how Google and AT&T fiber crews work around this one

Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
this would be my guess as well. i don't care for the look and guess this was the cheapest homeowner solution. wonder how Google and AT&T fiber crews work around this one
Literally that, would be my guess (working around it, cut into the grass just outside the rock).

Old 08-31-2016, 09:36 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Looks like Class A Riprap. Maybe he wanted to keep dogs from peeing and pooping in his yard. Try walking your dog over this stuff

Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Looks like Class A Riprap. Maybe he wanted to keep dogs from peeing and pooping in his yard. Try walking your dog over this stuff
A riprap is usually a more severe erosion control method. I guess anything is possible but that seems like a drastic measure against dog toileting, especially since with a little slack in the leash the pooch could always opt to poo on the other side of the rock

Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Well, if somebody walks around to let their dog poop in my yard they're going to get a warning shot

Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
The rock is rough. If that's intentional, I'm going with dogs and the usual parking problems on cul de sacs. I also see the ubiquitous moveable basketball hoop in the driveway at the very end of the cul de sac hidden by trashcans. That probably comes out in front of that house every weekend afternoon and maybe weekdays too. And friends start to arrive.

I see cracking at the beginning of the driveway which could be from trucks or water buildup.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 AM

19 posts, read 36,745 times
Aside from appearance, practicality, and HOA regulations.. I can't imagine this is compliant with whomever maintains the roads. I live in a neighborhood that is outside of town limits, where the roads would normally be maintained by the state. The developer waited years to petition the state to add the roads to the state network, and in the meantime residents added landscaping to the right of way, including adding drainage pipes and filling in the ditches. There's now a push to get the roads turned over, and the first thing the DOT says is that all those ditches have to be restored before they'll accept the roads.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Yup. And then there's dirt and debris buildup and then weeds start to grow in the spaces between rocks...

Even the nicest looking rocks in landscaping become a nightmare over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: