Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:00 AM

19 posts, read 20,963 times

Advertisements

In front of the Northwest Raleigh home linked below, there's an interesting use of rocks in the front yard that I haven't seen before. It looks neatly done and intentional, but I'm wondering if this design choice is purely cosmetic or if there is some functional reason (drainage, prevent collapse, etc).

Click the link and tell me what you know about this?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...!4d-78.7100755
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 07:04 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,132,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igeslv5 View Post
In front of the Northwest Raleigh home linked below, there's an interesting use of rocks in the front yard that I haven't seen before. It looks neatly done and intentional, but I'm wondering if this design choice is purely cosmetic or if there is some functional reason (drainage, prevent collapse, etc).

Click the link and tell me what you know about this?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...!4d-78.7100755
Looks like they didn't want an open drainage ditch. The other houses have them.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Looks like they didn't want an open drainage ditch. The other houses have them.
Trying to think up some possible reasons for this, aside from just a desire to be different? It couldn't have been difficult to mow. I've seen this done, but where the ditch is more of an actual ditch and hard to get to. Here it looks more like a cosmetic component of a landscape design.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 15 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,741,666 times
Quote:
Trying to think up some possible reasons for this, aside from just a desire to be different? It couldn't have been difficult to mow. I've seen this done, but where the ditch is more of an actual ditch and hard to get to. Here it looks more like a cosmetic component of a landscape design.
Easy maintenance while maintaining drainage?
The ground was compacted and couldn't grow grass?
Tired of people parking on their grass?
One way of keeping vermin out of the culvert?

Cheap fix to one of those or other concerns?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's unattractive.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:24 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 15 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,741,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's unattractive.
Sort of.
Cheap crushed rock.
I may have liked it more if it was smooth river rock.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Easy maintenance while maintaining drainage?
The ground was compacted and couldn't grow grass?
Tired of people parking on their grass?
One way of keeping vermin out of the culvert?

Cheap fix to one of those or other concerns?

Re: parking...... that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it, "someone REALLY wants to discourage parking there".

Another thought is that maybe runoff from the road or some other condition was browning the grass only in front and making it ugly, and this was like a lessor of evils choice?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Sort of.
Cheap crushed rock.
Agreed. That could possibly have been pretty.

This installation looks more "I hate that ditch, let's fill it cheaply."

Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Sort of.
Cheap crushed rock.
I agree, better looking / smaller stones would have looked better. However I've seen it done with this kind of rock on high end homes and it looked fine, it's just the ditch was deeper and the total rock area was a lesser percent of total front yard.

The real reason it doesn't work for me cosmetically here is just that it's too different from its surroundings. If the neighbors had more rock in their landscape it would seem more harmonious.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 AM

326 posts, read 383,490 times
It looks like the drainage ditch coming down the street just kind of ends when it gets to this house at the start of the cul de sac. There aren't any noticeable drainage pipes under the driveways of the other houses on the cul de sac. I wonder if this house was having an issue with some standing water in their front yeard and decided to fill it in with rocks (of course, the water would still be there but would be hidden by the rocks...out of sight, out of mind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: