Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 04:10 AM

1,360 posts, read 998,872 times

Advertisements

“Raleigh is known to be a city rich with charm and infused with modern technology and sophistication – and its running scene is no different,” the editors of Runner’s World write. “In 2016, the city hosted 100 races, including the Rock ’n’ Roll Raleigh Marathon. For long runs, The Capital Area Greenway has more than 100 miles of mostly paved trails. For a softer surface, head to William B. Umstead State Park for 13.3 miles of multi-use trails along three lakes.”

The “America’s 50 Best Running Cities” list will be featured in the October issue that hits newsstands Tuesday.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/theoden-janes/article99012632.html#storylink=cpy

I can believe it. The greenways in the area are impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 05:17 AM

265 posts, read 268,683 times
Wake County as a whole is near the top in the nation in terms of quality and quantity of places to run. It was a big reason I chose to stay here.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:32 AM

265 posts, read 268,683 times
Actually looking at the list, it's time to critique it haha. They rank running, parks, climate, food, and safety and tally the scores. Raleigh was ranked 13th in the run part, and 84th in climate, well below some northeast cities, including Rochester, which makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'm a little weird in that I refuse to run when it hits 50 and have no problem running when its 90. Using Food for this ranking? Why?

But taken with a grain salt, I enjoyed the list and article.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:42 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,548,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Actually looking at the list, it's time to critique it haha. They rank running, parks, climate, food, and safety and tally the scores. Raleigh was ranked 13th in the run part, and 84th in climate, well below some northeast cities, including Rochester, which makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'm a little weird in that I refuse to run when it hits 50 and have no problem running when its 90. Using Food for this ranking? Why?

But taken with a grain salt, I enjoyed the list and article.
I guess it depends what the author prefers - I personally run less here than when I lived in Boston just because I can't go a half mile without being drenched in sweat in the summertimes.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:01 AM

808 posts, read 824,782 times
Well, they obviously did not consider COL when compiling this "ranking". San Fran, Seattle, NY, DC, Boston, San Diego. That pretty much sums up theee most expensive housing markets in the country. Could of easily been mistaken for a list of the most expensive cities to live in.

Also, they count the total number of run clubs, track clubs and races per city so of course the largest metros score big here in the "run" category; which, is also weighed the most heavily too at 40%. IMHO, they should have weighed the relative number of parks and miles of trails (walkable per 10,000 residents) the highest.

When you add in the bridle trails to Umstead's single track, it is way more than 13.whatever miles with really endless combinations of unpaved running bliss. I could run there everyday for a year and have a different run path/experience every time.

Raleigh metro greenways.....awesome! I can go from ATT in DT Durham down into/through Cary into and around Raleigh...and beyond (DBAP - ATT -White Oak GW -Bond Park - Black Creek GW - Crabtree Park - Umstead State Park - NCMA - House Creek GW - Crabtree Mall - House Creek GW - Shelly Lake Park). More than any sane person would want to run, or even bike (out and back)...at once.

Wake Med Soccer Park offers a pretty sweet NCAA sanctioned cross country course too. Oh, and lets not forget Lake Crabtree with miles and miles of single track trails....for now (save the Crab!). I know these both are technically in Cary but they border Raleigh.

When I moved here years ago, from Colorado, the running culture and opportunity was a HUGE part of it. It's only gotten better. I did my own "market research" and Raleigh kept coming out on top; of course, unlike this list, I had to consider COL. I am a pretty serious recreational runner and incorporate lots of training type runs. I require opportunity for distance and plenty of unpaved, with lots of single track. Trail running is my passion...Raleigh has it! When it comes to running/hiking/biking, we in Raleigh should hold our heads up high. It really is a park in a city! Sometimes, on the trails, you forget how big of a metro area you are in....and one you can actually own a house in!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,878,389 times
Heaven knows everyone (and their mama) runs around these parts.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,045,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Well, they obviously did not consider COL when compiling this "ranking". San Fran, Seattle, NY, DC, Boston, San Diego. That pretty much sums up theee most expensive housing markets in the country. Could of easily been mistaken for a list of the most expensive cities to live in.

Also, they count the total number of run clubs, track clubs and races per city so of course the largest metros score big here in the "run" category; which, is also weighed the most heavily too at 40%. IMHO, they should have weighed the relative number of parks and miles of trails (walkable per 10,000 residents) the highest.

When you add in the bridle trails to Umstead's single track, it is way more than 13.whatever miles with really endless combinations of unpaved running bliss. I could run there everyday for a year and have a different run path/experience every time.

Raleigh metro greenways.....awesome! I can go from ATT in DT Durham down into/through Cary into and around Raleigh...and beyond (DBAP - ATT -White Oak GW -Bond Park - Black Creek GW - Crabtree Park - Umstead State Park - NCMA - House Creek GW - Crabtree Mall - House Creek GW - Shelly Lake Park). More than any sane person would want to run, or even bike (out and back)...at once.

Wake Med Soccer Park offers a pretty sweet NCAA sanctioned cross country course too. Oh, and lets not forget Lake Crabtree with miles and miles of single track trails....for now (save the Crab!). I know these both are technically in Cary but they border Raleigh.

When I moved here years ago, from Colorado, the running culture and opportunity was a HUGE part of it. It's only gotten better. I did my own "market research" and Raleigh kept coming out on top; of course, unlike this list, I had to consider COL. I am a pretty serious recreational runner and incorporate lots of training type runs. I require opportunity for distance and plenty of unpaved, with lots of single track. Trail running is my passion...Raleigh has it! When it comes to running/hiking/biking, we in Raleigh should hold our heads up high. It really is a park in a city! Sometimes, on the trails, you forget how big of a metro area you are in....and one you can actually own a house in!
You make a lot of really good points and also do a perfect job in explaining why it's important for a city to keep its data-points updated and accessible because it's what's referenced by journalists who put together these sorts of stories. Not only can Raleigh and Wake do a much better job at this but the entire Triangle needs to work together to tell the region's story better. I often read stories whose scorecards don't reflect reality because data hasn't been updated at the city/county/metro level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary